Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

English Moving Abroad

world cup rugby league super league burgess leeds england nrl australia

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

LOL

#22 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

I tried to insert the CGD quote, (anal's / annal's) but for some reason I couldn't.  Damn this sorcery that is the interweb!!

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:50 AM

Yep.  But others can see the world by going on holiday rather than uprooting themselves and their families and leaving behind their family and friends.  As you say, horses for courses.

I know, I know. If only Charlie (Darwin and Boorman) , Frankie Drake, John Smith, Matty Flinders etc had stayed at home in the bosoms of their families...sure they eventually returned though in this day and age with Skype, non-stop flights to and from Aus etc, getting there and coming back are well nigh impossible.

Of course, to each to their own...The Burgesses do it one way, the Newloves another.  

#24 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

I moved to Aus seven years ago - cant believe it was that long ago! - simply for the experience of trying something new. But then again I never stayed in one city in the UK more than three years.

I like to travel, broaden my horizons and try different things, simply because I can. And I'm sure if I was a young RL player I'd move overseas in a heartbeat if I had the chance. For the simple reason, why not?

But then, interestingly, RL players traditionally come from towns where people don't move around much. I've read of players from Yorks getting homesick when they move to Lancs, for example, and as for moving down to that there London.....jaysus.....so I guess, for those types of people, who don't even like moving 30 miles down the road, uprooting their life to the other side of the world would be an absolute no-no

#25 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

dave taylor got "homesick" when he moved to sydney from brisbane...so did ben hannett

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

I moved to Aus seven years ago - cant believe it was that long ago! - simply for the experience of trying something new. But then again I never stayed in one city in the UK more than three years.

I like to travel, broaden my horizons and try different things, simply because I can. And I'm sure if I was a young RL player I'd move overseas in a heartbeat if I had the chance. For the simple reason, why not?

But then, interestingly, RL players traditionally come from towns where people don't move around much. I've read of players from Yorks getting homesick when they move to Lancs, for example, and as for moving down to that there London.....jaysus.....so I guess, for those types of people, who don't even like moving 30 miles down the road, uprooting their life to the other side of the world would be an absolute no-no

I never stayed in one city in the UK more than three years.

The bailiffs will catch up with you eventually!    :biggrin:

You are right though. They are missing so much. 

#27 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

You do get the feeling that some Rugby League players get homesick when they turn the corner at the end of their street.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#28 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Or when the Brisbane Broncos come knocking on contracted players' doors.

#29 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yep.  But others can see the world by going on holiday rather than uprooting themselves and their families and leaving behind their family and friends.  As you say, horses for courses.

I know, I know. If only Charlie (Darwin and Boorman) , Frankie Drake, John Smith, Matty Flinders etc had stayed at home in the bosoms of their families...sure they eventually returned though in this day and age with Skype, non-stop flights to and from Aus etc, getting there and coming back are well nigh impossible.

Why would Skype and regular 24 hour flights be the equivalent of being with the people you care for in person in a place where you feel content?

#30 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

Horses for courses, of course. For some, it can be the difference between realising a dream or not. Adventure is not for everyone.

#31 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

Horses for courses, of course. For some, it can be the difference between realising a dream or not. Adventure is not for everyone.

Or it may simply be that one person's adventure is another's boring night in!

#32 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

Or it may simply be that one person's adventure is another's boring night in!

And obviously being bored senseless with that robotic stereotyped systemised type of RL they play over there.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

You don't watch much Australian rugby, do  you?

#34 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

You don't watch much Australian rugby, do  you?

Actually John, I am a big fan of Aus RL, I know I shouldn't but I was just being flippant on my interpretation of how I conceive the view of Australian RL to the person I was replying to.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#35 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Understood. I have man flu at present.

Edited by JohnM, 06 December 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#36 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

And obviously being bored senseless with that robotic stereotyped systemised type of RL they play over there.

New Zealand Warriors play a great brand of rugby league.  They're my team in the NRL and I watch them every week.  However, overall, the NRL is too focused on wrestling for my liking and yes, it's more structured than rugby league in this country.  Actually, if you have read online editions of the Australian press and some of the forums over there you will realise that such a complaint about the NRL isn't unique to me.

I don't know why it is so controversial that I found the heavily structured nature of Australia's play in the final boring and I don't know why some people resorted to mockery at the (shock, horror!) thought that there may be players who are happy in their lives as their lives are at present and so don't want to uproot themselves or their family just so that some dippy English fans can think that those very players can 'prove themselves' in the NRL.  As Robes himself has said, he has nothing to prove.  He's performed at the highest level very well indeed without playing in the NRL, which kind of undermines the whole idea that players somehow improve simply because they play in the NRL.

#37 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

Well one player who has already made the move wont be coming back to SL any time soon - James Graham.

He was part of the fans forum at Saints the other night and he confirmed he's already in talks with Canterbury about extending his current contract beyond 2015.

Not really a surprise given the fantastic 2 years he's had so far, culminating in him being Canterbury's player of the year this year. 

When asked if he had held talks with Warrington he laughed and said he had never spoken to them or any other SL club about a return to the UK. He also said if he ever did return to SL his 1st choice would always be Saints.

#38 humpy

humpy
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

The main reason is the money. both Sam Burgess and James Graham are rumoured to be on $500k a year at least, Samy probably more with 3rd party sponsorships he has. He's always in the fitness mags here. That would equate to about 300 thousand pounds. No player in the UK would come close to that. The other is the lifestyle, you cant beat it. I moved from Dewsbury to the Gold Coast. I played two seasons out here and now coach kids. The differences in the level of coaching here is a lot higher than in the UK. The club I coach at has 35 teams from 6-17, the kids get taught a lot more advanced things at a much younger age and kids want to grow up to be a NRL player. It's huge on the East Coast and that was a factor in me moving here, my wife fancied Melbourne. I've met lots of young guys who have come out here on a working holiday visa and played in the local leagues of Brisbane and Gold Coast, few have stayed on after shacking up with the locals !! Great place to live, miss family and friends but we use Skype, Facebook to keep in touch with everyone.

#39 GoBroncos

GoBroncos
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Maybe they want to see what life was like in the mid 80s, that where Australia is in terms of cultures, technology and business.

Bcoz the North of England is such a enlightened place to go to, hahaha!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users