Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Phoenix RL - the future of RL in London

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Saw posted on RL Fans.  Linking to it here for into.

http://phoenixrl.wordpress.com/

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,300 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

Good for them. Hope the RFL give them whatever support they can.

#3 Gansons Optician

Gansons Optician
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

Good idea, but would it perhaps be better to work alongside existing clubs in the area such as London Skolars?

#4 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,345 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

Good luck to them, as long as they don't use Phoenix as their name.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#5 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

Skolars aren't really in that area. It's well over an hours trip from where I live in South West London to the Skolars.

#6 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

I don't really see the point of this tbh. If it was a way of keeping the Broncos in SL then I could get on board, but we already have two KPC1 clubs down here and creating a third will just further dilute the tiny resources (playing, financial, support) available to the game at that level. If the Broncos die then it's better to leave them dead and get on board with Skolars and Hemel.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#7 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

I don't really see the point of this tbh. If it was a way of keeping the Broncos in SL then I could get on board, but we already have two KPC1 clubs down here and creating a third will just further dilute the tiny resources (playing, financial, support) available to the game at that level. If the Broncos die then it's better to leave them dead and get on board with Skolars and Hemel.

The idea of growth is to grow....

If there is interested parties to add another team then why not?!?!

#8 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

The idea of growth is to grow....

If there is interested parties to add another team then why not?!?!

There are nowhere near enough players, fans, investors or media interest in London to support 3 KPC1 clubs. You'd be cannibalising Skolars and Hemel to create a third team and thereby re-creating the exact same problems we see in the north where too many small clubs are fighting over the same resources.

You don't grow by throwing money all over the shop, you focus your resources in a way that strengthens and builds upon what you've already got.

#9 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

Or you could look on the positive side, which is that a third club has potential to develop the local rivalries and drive crowd numbers in the medium term.

It might take 20 years, but one day we'll look back on the Bronco's demise (if it happens) as a turning point that started the revival of Rugby League in the capital.

#10 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

There are nowhere near enough players, fans, investors or media interest in London to support 3 KPC1 clubs. You'd be cannibalising Skolars and Hemel to create a third team and thereby re-creating the exact same problems we see in the north where too many small clubs are fighting over the same resources.

You don't grow by throwing money all over the shop, you focus your resources in a way that strengthens and builds upon what you've already got.

Erm you currently have 1 pro club and 2 semi pro clubs, how exactly will losing a pro club and gaining a semi pro club dilute the resources.

London needs to start again from scratch and build one or more pro clubs from the bottom up.

#11 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

Erm you currently have 1 pro club and 2 semi pro clubs, how exactly will losing a pro club and gaining a semi pro club dilute the resources.

London needs to start again from scratch and build one or more pro clubs from the bottom up.

It really is quite simple, and I'm getting tired of repeating it, but here goes. Rugby League in London does not have the players, fans, investors, media coverage for three KPC1 teams. 

Lots of Broncos fans have already been driven away.

All the evidence is clear that people won't pay in significant numbers to watch low level RL - look at London before SL started and look at Skolars now.

The best local players have gone up north or to Australia, the handful remaining will no doubt follow suit or go to union.

There is no longer an academy to produce young players.

Former academy players have already started trialling at union clubs, others are trialling at Warrington, no doubt taken there by Phil Jones.

Point out any signs of investors being interested in a SL club, never mind one in KPC1.

The Broncos have been largely ignored by the local media, same goes for Skolars. Do you think they're the slightest bit interested in another KPC1 club?

Putting aside the SL standard players who won't be sticking around, there are maybe 30/40 players down here of required standard for KPC1, currently split between two clubs. Further diluting that between three clubs means even less competitive teams. You're also splitting the spectator base between three clubs, and the potential investors (few and far between that they are) and media coverage. You'd be creating a situation where three teams fight each other and none of them make any progress.

#12 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

ignoring all the above arguments, which I think have been covered to one degree or another on the previous thread, this site anyway looks very much like a crank one anyway

#13 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

ignoring all the above arguments, which I think have been covered to one degree or another on the previous thread, this site anyway looks very much like a crank one anyway

I think it's very much temporary as an access point for this 'clubs' ideas and goals.

Heck, the club doesn't even exist yet. Pointless shelling out time and money on a fancy website.

#14 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

I think it's very much temporary as an access point for this 'clubs' ideas and goals.

Heck, the club doesn't even exist yet. Pointless shelling out time and money on a fancy website.

Sorry, should've been clearer. The way its worded etc as much as where its hosted and how it is formatted.

#15 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

As a Rugby League fan in Brisbane I would be willing to buy a membership in a London side.

Should consider London Spitfires as a name.

#16 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

London should have been given far more support and promotion before they were allowed to wither on the Vine.

Its a lot easier to build on the foundations you have than keep restarting again and again. IMO

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,300 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

They could hardly use the Broncos name whilst Broncos still exist on paper.

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,300 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

It really is quite simple, and I'm getting tired of repeating it, but here goes. Rugby League in London does not have the players, fans, investors, media coverage for three KPC1 teams. 

Lots of Broncos fans have already been driven away.

All the evidence is clear that people won't pay in significant numbers to watch low level RL - look at London before SL started and look at Skolars now.

The best local players have gone up north or to Australia, the handful remaining will no doubt follow suit or go to union.

There is no longer an academy to produce young players.

Former academy players have already started trialling at union clubs, others are trialling at Warrington, no doubt taken there by Phil Jones.

Point out any signs of investors being interested in a SL club, never mind one in KPC1.

The Broncos have been largely ignored by the local media, same goes for Skolars. Do you think they're the slightest bit interested in another KPC1 club?

Putting aside the SL standard players who won't be sticking around, there are maybe 30/40 players down here of required standard for KPC1, currently split between two clubs. Further diluting that between three clubs means even less competitive teams. You're also splitting the spectator base between three clubs, and the potential investors (few and far between that they are) and media coverage. You'd be creating a situation where three teams fight each other and none of them make any progress.

The spectators are already split. Broncos have existed for 30-odd years. I imagine that few people will travel great distances to watch KPC1 so that a number of Broncos fans will gravitate towards Skolars / Hemel / Oxford anyway but for those who live in West London, the choice is between a short trip to Phoenix RL or a long one to North London. I don't imagine that many from West London will go to Wood Green with or without Phoenix RL.

Look the other issues are obviously going to be difficult but the choice is do nothing or do this. I can't see how "do nothing" would improve anything.

#19 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

London Sillinannies?
Posted Image

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,595 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

agreed

very trite

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local