Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Phoenix RL - the future of RL in London

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 Gansons Optician

Gansons Optician
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

Good luck to them, as long as they don't use Phoenix as their name.

Always fancied a trip to the Phoenix Club personally!

#22 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

The spectators are already split. Broncos have existed for 30-odd years. I imagine that few people will travel great distances to watch KPC1 so that a number of Broncos fans will gravitate towards Skolars / Hemel / Oxford anyway but for those who live in West London, the choice is between a short trip to Phoenix RL or a long one to North London. I don't imagine that many from West London will go to Wood Green with or without Phoenix RL.

Look the other issues are obviously going to be difficult but the choice is do nothing or do this. I can't see how "do nothing" would improve anything.

Doing this causes real damage to the other clubs. Doing nothing would allow resources to be focused on the two clubs who have shown themselves to be well run and forward thinking.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#23 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Doing this causes real damage to the other clubs. Doing nothing would allow resources to be focused on the two clubs who have shown themselves to be well run and forward thinking.

I see no damage in friendly competition. London is a huge city and I doubt that many people will travel huge distances to watch KPC1 rugby so most fans will be local. 

Skolars have done well out of the "capital challenge". I'm not sure that playing Hemel would have quite the same impact.

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

Or you could look on the positive side, which is that a third club has potential to develop the local rivalries and drive crowd numbers in the medium term. It might take 20 years, but one day we'll look back on the Bronco's demise (if it happens) as a turning point that started the revival of Rugby League in the capital.

You really don't believe this do you? Have you checked out third tier crowds? What was Hemel,v,Skolars "derby" crowds last year then? Such money spinners that there's enough in the bank to afford Championship salary cap??

How well did Oldham, Rochdale and Swinton in traditional areas do on their third tier derby crowds?? They managed an average of 800 a match in 2010. In 20 years time will those "derbies" see those clubs thriving?

#25 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

You really don't believe this do you? Have you checked out third tier crowds? What was Hemel,v,Skolars "derby" crowds last year then? Such money spinners that there's enough in the bank to afford Championship salary cap??

How well did Oldham, Rochdale and Swinton in traditional areas do on their third tier derby crowds?? They managed an average of 800 a match in 2010. In 20 years time will those "derbies" see those clubs thriving?

From memory the Skolars vs Hemel crowd was the largest of the season other than the game played just before the Challenge Cup final. About 200 speccies higher than a game against an M62 side. Skolars vs Oxford was another bumper crowd.

#26 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

From memory the Skolars vs Hemel crowd was the largest of the season other than the game played just before the Challenge Cup final. About 200 speccies higher than a game against an M62 side. Skolars vs Oxford was another bumper crowd.

Much as I'm more on your side of the argument here, Hemel's home crowd against Skolars was only 336. Tiny acorns and all that, but I would have hoped for better. 

#27 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

Ever the pessimist Parky, get a little hope in your life.

#28 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Much as I'm more on your side of the argument here, Hemel's home crowd against Skolars was only 336. Tiny acorns and all that, but I would have hoped for better. 

The same fixture at New River was 350. Oxford's visit was 409.

Against Rochdale it was 343.

#29 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

If we can entice approx 10 new teams at this level (not easy I know -but Manchester,Leicester and Coventry have been mentioned)then we could have a northern and southern championship1.The biggest issue at most levels of semi-professional and amateur level is thaeamount of travelling involved.Soth Wales v Gateshead just dosen,t make sense -not just from a cost point of view,but also the time involved.

#30 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

If we can entice approx 10 new teams at this level (not easy I know -but Manchester,Leicester and Coventry have been mentioned)then we could have a northern and southern championship1.The biggest issue at most levels of semi-professional and amateur level is thaeamount of travelling involved.Soth Wales v Gateshead just dosen,t make sense -not just from a cost point of view,but also the time involved.

Absolutely.

#31 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

agreed

very trite

IT'S LONDON ZOMBIES FOR MINE EDDIE

Should have gone to London Wanderers after the Quinze era, not that it would have made a difference.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#32 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

Completely agree. It's a very big hurdle to get over. But once we are over it the clubs would save a helluva lot of $$$$$$.

North

Gateshead

Hunslet

Oldham

York

?

?

?

?

South

Coventry

Gloucester

Hemel

North London

Oxford

South Wales

?

?

Could two conferences of eight be feasible? With joint play-offs and Grand Final. It would really save on $$$, but would still be a great league I think.

Neath to Gateshead: 352 miles, 5 hours 23 minutes.

Neath to North London: 196 miles, 3 hours 13 minutes

Gateshead to Wrexham: 193 miles, 3 hours 11 minutes.

Edited by ShotgunGold, 03 December 2013 - 07:35 PM.

• abd likes this

#33 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

London should have been given far more support and promotion before they were allowed to wither on the Vine.

Its a lot easier to build on the foundations you have than keep restarting again and again. IMO

Maybe they should have run the club properly from within as well. That would have helped considerably.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#34 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

There are nowhere near enough players, fans, investors or media interest in London to support 3 KPC1 clubs. You'd be cannibalising Skolars and Hemel to create a third team and thereby re-creating the exact same problems we see in the north where too many small clubs are fighting over the same resources.

You don't grow by throwing money all over the shop, you focus your resources in a way that strengthens and builds upon what you've already got.

There are plenty of rugby players in london if you think outside the box....

If its a third party adding money thats more money into rl that wasnt there before!!

Didnt Fulham generate large crowds in div2?

Edited by yipyee, 03 December 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#35 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

If its a third party adding money thats more money into rl that wasnt there before!!

Fulham were the highest supported team in Division 2 in their first season and 4th overall in the league

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#36 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

They did, but they soon dried up with yo-yoing between the divisions.

If they'd have entered at the Huyton or Doncaster playing standard, which is more the level this proposed club is aiming at, then they'd have probably attracted bottom of div 2 crowds.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#37 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

The document has been produced by someone called Steve Newcombe. That name rings a bell - anyone any ideas?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#38 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

They did, but they soon dried up with yo-yoing between the divisions.

If they'd have entered at the Huyton or Doncaster playing standard, which is more the level this proposed club is aiming at, then they'd have probably attracted bottom of div 2 crowds.

Whats interesting here is you start with fact then turn to opinion.....

The fact will do for me, big crowds, dwindled because of p&r enough said!

#39 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Good luck to them, as long as they don't use Phoenix as their name.

Yes. They should park that one.

#40 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

What a complete nonsense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users