Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Crown Flatt ground improvements

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

I'm not so sure
As a result of Huddersfield having the Galpharm stadium I made the informed purchase of three tubes of generic acyclovir for £4 off Ebay as I could see that in the picture they were produced by Galpharm
I saved around £ 14 on the equivalent cost of Zovirax!
If advertising doesn't work I'll eat my Swinton Lions davey crockett hat circa 1986!

If it's made of BEAVER you may need a proprietary treatment which is a little stronger!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#22 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Ive always said a mouthful of beaver is worth any resulting upset

#23 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

Just checking Geoff, you do know there's been a McDonald's on the top road for some years now. On where the pithead baths were, when Wheatsheaf Colliery stood on Bolton Road, opposite Pendlebury Post Office?

:yahoo:

I know Keith. That's where my dad took me down the pit when I was 16.

I think my point was that without sponsorship in this day and age a club is dead in the water. With decent sponsorship, perhaps we wouldn't be going through this crisis now.

By the way, I saw your letter in RL Journal. Very good!

Geoff
Posted Image

#24 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

By the way, I saw your letter in RL Journal. Very good!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, I think Harry Edgar, as editor, should have shortened it a bit as it was a bit lengthy.

(I went down Newtown pit when I was about 12-13 on  a school trip (Crommy boys) as part of our history lesson showing how coal mining played such a major part in the Industrial Revolution - I think both my granddads worked at the "Sheff" at the start of the 20th century)

#25 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Thanks Geoff, I think Harry Edgar, as editor, should have shortened it a bit as it was a bit lengthy.
(I went down Newtown pit when I was about 12-13 on  a school trip (Crommy boys) as part of our history lesson showing how coal mining played such a major part in the Industrial Revolution - I think both my granddads worked at the "Sheff" at the start of the 20[/size]th century)

After the war, my Dad worked at Newtown, then Wheatsheaf, then Agecroft! He took my brother and I down the pit mainly to dissuade from pursuing it as a career! Lots of good prop forwards came from those pits! Not that we need prop forwards anymore!
Posted Image

#26 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

(I went down Newtown pit when I was about 12-13 on  a school trip (Crommy boys) as part of our history lesson showing how coal mining played such a major part in the Industrial Revolution - I think both my granddads worked at the "Sheff" at the start of the 20[/size]th century)

On a different subject, in that issue of RLJ there was an article on "hardmen". Conspicuously missing was any reference to our own hard man, George Parkinson!Good issue for the Lions though in spite of that oversight.
I think Spelly would turn crimson at the comment that Super League forwards are more cyclist than footballers!
Posted Image

#27 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

On a different subject, in that issue of RLJ there was an article on "hardmen". Conspicuously missing was any reference to our own hard man, George Parkinson! Good issue for the Lions though in spite of that oversight.
I think Spelly would turn crimson at the comment that Super League forwards are more cyclist than footballers!

Yes, the same entered my head about our 'hard man', 'Parky'. Think I'll drop RLJ a short message mentioning George 'hard-as-nails' Parkinson.

Edited by Blue Monkey, 05 December 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#28 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

[quote name="Blue Monkey" post="2846950" timestamp="1386097981"]
Here's a question (hypothetical?). Just supposing our beloved Station Road was still up and running but burdened with a new name for 'sponsorship purposes' called perhaps the McDonald's on-the-Top-Road stadium.

So, would YOU now call it the "McDonald's on-the-Top-Road stadium" or be like me, an old-stick-in-the mud, and still called by its 'silly' and 'old fashioned' name of Station Road?

Don't worry Keith. With Asda soon opening on the precinct car park, the Morrisons will become defunct and we can buy up B&Q and Aldi as well to build Station Road II.

Edited by Paul Davidson, 04 December 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#29 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

Here's a question (hypothetical?). Just supposing our beloved Station Road was still up and running but burdened with a new name for 'sponsorship purposes' called perhaps the McDonald's on-the-Top-Road stadium.

So, would YOU now call it the "McDonald's on-the-Top-Road stadium" or be like me, an old-stick-in-the mud, and still called by its 'silly' and 'old fashioned' name of Station Road?

Don't worry Keith. With Asda soon opening on the precinct car park, the Morrisons will become defunct and we can buy up B&Q and Aldi as well to build Station Road II.
[/quote]
There's $290,000,000 lottery prize up for grabs here Friday night so.....

Posted Image

#30 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

I screwed that quote up didn't I?

There's a $290,000,000 lottery prize up for grabs here Friday night so.... "New Station Road sponsored by Geoff", anyone?

I have two tickets.

Wish me luck!

Geoff
Posted Image

#31 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

I screwed that quote up didn't I?

There's a $290,000,000 lottery prize up for grabs here Friday night so.... "New Station Road sponsored by Geoff", anyone?

I have two tickets.

Wish me luck!

Geoff

Bonne chance Geoff

#32 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

A bad case of the Norman Colliers there, Keith!

Cannot but agree w.r.t. naming rights on stadiums. Its only properly effective if the deal is done before the stadium opens and runs for a decent few years at least (eg Reebok, Emirates, Halliwell Jones, Britannia).

As for renaming long established grounds for a year or two - its just not effective as a marketing ploy for the reasons you refer to.

The move to out-of-town stadiums that has really taken hold since the 80's is something I lament. Its made sport a peripheral activity, rather than being an integral part of urban life.

The loss of Central Park was a particularly sad episode.

Sorry, but how "Out of town" IS the Halliwell Jones? or even Langtree Park, or even the KC?

Ah we're back to your favourite subject, Salford again.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users