Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Book Signing - "Oldham RLFC In the 1950's - Magic or Myth"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sheddingswasus

sheddingswasus
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

For all those still looking for Christmas Presents, Michael Turner will be at Waterstones Bookstore in the Spindles Shopping Centre this Saturday for a book signing for the Heritage Trust's new publication "Oldham RLFC In The 1950's - Magic or Myth"

The signing is between 12noon and 3pm.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

Edited by sheddingswasus, 05 December 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#2 lalar

lalar
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

As a matter of interest, who is Michael Turner?

#3 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 773 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

Mrs Turners son, ahem

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#4 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

As a matter of interest, who is Michael Turner?

not sure of his official status. I think he was someone who was a bit of a statto and turned his love of Oldham rlfc into some of the best RL books around.

#5 lalar

lalar
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thanx.

#6 sheddingswasus

sheddingswasus
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hi all

Michael is the author of this book, and this is the fourth book he has written.  He is a Trustee of the Oldham Rugby League Heritage Trust and a lifelong Oldham fan.

This is the sixth book published by the Oldham Rugby League Trust.

The book signing is between 12noon and 3pm

#7 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

For anyone with Oldham RLFC at heart this is a truly great read and I would urge you to buy it. I was lucky enough to have seen this team play and I cannot say that I have ever seen better. Of course it was a different game so you can't always compare, but for speed, strength, guile and pure entertainment brought about by an open style of rugby. I think they call it expansive these days, but whatever you call it, it was sheer brilliance. For anyone who thinks more people watch Rugby League today just look at the attendances at the games that are highlighted, anything from 15000 to 26000 against teams that weren't in the top half of the league. This was not just Oldham who had these gates but they were replicated to a great extent right across the board, not just at half a dozen games each week and the rest with little more than 1000 or even less. No one will ever convince me that Rugby League is thriving outside of Wigan, Leeds, Warrington and perhaps two or three other clubs.

Anyway rant over, just buy the book and enjoy it and sample the atmosphere of 1950s Watersheddings. Incidentally my dad's in one of the pictures sat on the disabled forms at pitch side..

#8 sheddingswasus

sheddingswasus
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

For anyone who wants a signed copy of the book, Mike Turner will again be at Waterstones this Thursday evening between 5pm and 7.30 pm.

The book is also still available in Asda Chadderton, Asda Shaw, Asda Living, WH Smiths, and the Oldham Chronicle Offices. In addition the club also has a stock of the books for sale.

#9 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

Is it available on line please?

#10 sheddingswasus

sheddingswasus
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

Unfortunately it is not yet available on line, as we have not yet set this facility up.

However if you wish to order one and pay by Paypal that is fine

Just PM me and I will give you the details

All the best to one and all for Christmas.