Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Bulls - not sounding good

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
942 replies to this topic

#1 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

Players being told they can leave, big holes in their finances....all courtesy of their fans forum tonight
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

Should have dropped down in the first place.

#3 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

Perhaps they should just merge with Leeds. ;) Seriously, I hope they, London and Wakey get themselves sorted, along with Swinton and any other struggling clubs. We need them all.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#4 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

Wakefield are sorted.

Sad news re Bradford, I hope they can hang on, London too

#5 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

Super League in its present form is not sustainable. What more evidence do we need? Time for change, not through choice but through necessity.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#6 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

Super League in its present form is not sustainable. What more evidence do we need? Time for change, not through choice but through necessity.

10 team Superleague. 2 off them from France. 3 from Wakefield, Bradford, HKR, Widnes, Cas , Wakefield and Salford to scrap for places to compete with Wigan, Warrington, Saints, Leeds, Hull FC.

The next 10 make a very competive second tier.

#7 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

Bloody Hell.

Don't usually link to the "other" board, but for anyone who cares, a summery of what was said by someone who was actually there tonight (not me) - http://forums.rlfans...198217&start=90

Edited by Amber Avenger, 04 December 2013 - 11:11 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#8 SamG

SamG
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

4 leagues of 10 and a full international calendar, promotion and relegation between all, those that do it right rise, those that don't find their level. No need for mergers, and a strong Home Nation of England, France, Scotland, Ireland and Wales to take up weeks throughout the season, Great Britain, Aus and NZ every 4 years between World Cup times, and International month every Nov with Pacific nations+ AusNZ in the years between.
  • abd likes this

#9 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,264 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

I don't know how this is possible. Bradford were, recently, the best supported side in SL. Even though Bullmania is over, there should be more than enough fans to keep them ticking over.

#10 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

I see a pattern in why all these clubs are failing: they all have ###### stadiums.

I remember seeing an interview with Eamonn McManus last year, done for the opening of Langtree Park. He said that every single match that St Helens played at Knowsley Road they LOST money. Every single match.

He also said that at Langtree Park, St Helens could get half their usual attendance, and they would still make a matchday profit.

Maintaining and repairing old stadiums are too expensive - they leak money. The lesson is that many of the Yorkshire clubs need a new modern stadium ASAP.

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

Not sure between the connection of people running clubs into the ground and different formats in a league.

#12 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

Saints should cherry pick Sammutt and reunite him with Walsh - best halfback combo in SL by a mile then

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#13 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

4 leagues of 10 and a full international calendar, promotion and relegation between all, those that do it right rise, those that don't find their level. No need for mergers, and a strong Home Nation of England, France, Scotland, Ireland and Wales to take up weeks throughout the season, Great Britain, Aus and NZ every 4 years between World Cup times, and International month every Nov with Pacific nations+ AusNZ in the years between.

If we ever did go to 4 leagues of 10, does this mean an 18 game regular season? Seems a bit sparse.

I like the idea of extra competition but were talking about an 8 week reduction in the season there. Is that realistic for a club's finances at the top level?

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:24 AM

10 team Superleague. 2 off them from France. 3 from Wakefield, Bradford, HKR, Widnes, Cas , Wakefield and Salford to scrap for places to compete with Wigan, Warrington, Saints, Leeds, Hull FC.

The next 10 make a very competive second tier.

In theory if you discount the utter financial disaster of dropping a division in an age where few are interested in second tier RL

#15 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:44 AM

It's a shame Omar Khan's 'health' meant he and his money had to leave.

Things were looking good for the Bulls with their record Provident sponsorship, where on earth is all the money going?
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#16 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

The daft thing is that Bradford are getting much less central funding than all the other clubs so it shouldn't be surprising that the new owners are having to cut their cloth accordingly.

Incidentally Gateshead SL 1999 went under probably because they were given much less than everyone else too which was even dafter (they got circa £250k less, started with £500k equity plus an overdraft and lost circa £700k after the start up costs and first year).

I know it's a slightly off topic but since people have mentioned it already, clubs actually make comparatively little money per home game (if anything) with most coming from central sources and commercial income. A couple of fewer games would add up to not a lot of reduction in income overall but those who are already losing dosh would obviously be up in arms.

Bradford in time will be a super power again, but there may be a few more fallow seasons before this happens. Good luck to the Bulls.

Edited by Mushy, 05 December 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#17 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

Official statement from the club - http://www.bradfordb...-bulls-position

And some more on the fans forum last night from the local paper - http://www.thetelegr...e___/?ref=var_0

And the playing side of things - http://www.thetelegr...yers/?ref=var_0

Edited by Amber Avenger, 05 December 2013 - 08:51 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#18 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,326 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

Official statement from the club.

And some more on the fans forum last night from the local paper.

And the playing side of things.

Thank you very much for the links.

London's demise, Wakefield's demise, and now Bradford's demise (plus the demise of a couple of other clubs who who are managing to keep their matters private, but are clearly dropping playing budgets) leads me to believe that this is the whole reason for the 2 x 12 and 3 x 8 league structure.

In the last couple of years whilst some money was flowing at these SL clubs there was some semblance of them competing as Superleague clubs. The advantage of several clubs in trouble means they at least have each other to beat next year, but I doubt that will keep the fans coming. So by 2015 a mechanism is needed to accommodate a not so Superleague in which several clubs could be badly affected further if they had to be thrown to the Lions every week all season.

I note the £2.64M wage bill I assume was even higher before administration, and those who believe that so called chomping at the bit for SL Championship clubs can somehow afford Superleague should look very carefully indeed at that figure.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

The main problem I have is that we are now told it was all the previous regimes fault. Before this it was also the previous regimes fault. Etc etc

I don't have a problem with sticking with the club in the bad times and if players leave and they have to use the U16's so be it. But it's all the lying and BS that makes me want to sack it and walk away.

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,244 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

I believe the only solution is to reform as a KPC1 club and get the RFL to run the academy.

That's how it works isn't it?

Or to put it another way: FFS, we have the greatest game in the world with some of the most loyal (and annoying) fans and yet this keeps happening time and again.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012