Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Bulls - not sounding good

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
942 replies to this topic

#801 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Bulls crowds drop to the 6,000 level this coming season. Their crowds have been trending downwards for several years and this latest debacle will knock some more off their average.

How long before the long gone "big club" tag is dropped for something more realistic ?

6K would still be better than a lot of clubs.
Not sure why you keep bandying about this 'big club' line, it seems to be only you under that impression. Get over it.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#802 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Really Prep??

Mr. Lenagan launched a scathing attack today drawing battlelines.

Shame your club picked the other side.....

Let's face it Trinity would be out of the rebel club's version of SL so I'm not surprised. Personally I agree with what Leneghan has said.

#803 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

£300k? They overspent by over £400k last year (even after overspending and going into admin the year before!!!!!!) so they'd have still been in trouble. Read your posts, all the verbs about the 'great' Bradford are in the PAST tense. Just like such as Hunslet and Swinton they have had their day and are very much on the way down. I'd also guess that the HMRC won't hang about chasing this new lot if there's any late payments of dues after the shinnanigans of the last 2 either. They'll have to be very careful. And the possibility of OK chasing them through the courts. Yep, a very bright future ahead.

As an aside, the way OK has been cast adrift after stepping in last year to 'save' Bradford, at what is rumoured to be a large personal cost, is hardly likely to encourage others to step forward to 'save' other clubs who run into trouble.

And, finally, as I keep telling you I don't want Fev in SL.......

half the sky money back and they would not have lost last year.....end of!

Good job you don't want fev in SL there is no chance of that! !

#804 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

half the sky money back and they would not have lost last year.....end of!

Good job you don't want fev in SL there is no chance of that! !

what debts did they leave behind this time, according to Internet it was £1.5 million last time. Wonder what it will be end of this season

#805 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

So what!

Wakefield were in an almost identical situation a few months ago and were unequivocally told that if they entered Administration they would be immediately demoted to C1. Why are Bradford any different?

The rule is 6 points deducted which can be reduced by 2 points if the new owners behave responsibly and repay some of the debts.

I can help with this, they see Bradford a a good sized market with reasonable potential to produce 20k+ crowds and they do not see that potential in Wakefield.

Whether you view this as pragmatic or immoral depends on opinion.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#806 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

I can help with this, they see Bradford a a good sized market with reasonable potential to produce 20k+ crowds and they do not see that potential in Wakefield.

Whether you view this as pragmatic or immoral depends on opinion.

If Wigan & Leeds cant get 20k then theres not a cat in hells chance of bradford getting it

#807 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

If Wigan & Leeds cant get 20k then theres not a cat in hells chance of bradford getting it

wigan do get over 20k! Bradford has and does!

Bradford would and has sold finals out.......

#808 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,898 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

Let's face it Trinity would be out of the rebel club's version of SL so I'm not surprised. Personally I agree with what Leneghan has said.

Eighth best supported club 2012 who need to get in Newmarket to be a shoe in.

Don't talk them down, there's enough people trying to talk Bradford and Wakey down.

#809 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

Come on John.

If "The rules" have to be stuck to all the RFL/SLE have to do is approach it another way to fix their desired outcome.

Like give the Bulls £300,000 in the next two weeks, and give them the insurance of £800,000 payment if they get relegated, which they did today.

then ensure if they did slip out of SL they would have £500,000 for finishing top two in CC and the chance to go up again.

The league structure is no longer loaded in favour of the Bulls, but the money structure sure as heck is.....

Agree with your last point for sure... 

Although just on a "cut yer nose off too spite yer face ....." view I hope the like's of Featherstone or Leigh surprise us and get over the biased jeopardy line and consign a "bigger" club to languish for some time in the championship despite the money bias attempts to tilt towards current SL in an attempt to have P&R in name only...

#810 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

6K would still be better than a lot of clubs.
Not sure why you keep bandying about this 'big club' line, it seems to be only you under that impression. Get over it.

Really.  Every time Parksider mentions the Bulls he quotes the 15,000 average crowds, the huge junior players production and rambleson abut how The Big Club that are the Bulls must be in SL ahead of smaller orgainisations.

#811 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Really. Every time Parksider mentions the Bulls he quotes the 15,000 average crowds, the huge junior players production and rambleson abut how The Big Club that are the Bulls must be in SL ahead of smaller orgainisations.

the thing is bradford issued a rallying cry and got over 20k! The fans are there, they just need a reason to turn up!

#812 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

Really. Every time Parksider mentions the Bulls he quotes the 15,000 average crowds, the huge junior players production and rambleson abut how The Big Club that are the Bulls must be in SL ahead of smaller orgainisations.

He's speaking his opinion but he isn't saying anything that isn't true. That they are struggling now (which clearly delights you) doesn't change the recent past.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#813 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,898 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:50 AM

He's speaking his opinion but he isn't saying anything that isn't true. That they are struggling now (which clearly delights you) doesn't change the recent past.

Are they struggling now John?

They've just got rid of OK, they have secured the squad, they have an insurance of a parachute payment if relegated and an open door straight back up, they have a securing payment of £300K on it's way now from SKY, they have £1,800,000 a year also coming from SKY, and although they hit "rock bottom", rock bottom for them was ninth in Superleague and sixth best supported side in the northern hemisphere.

I'll repeat that. Rock bottom for poor spent Bulls was to come ninth in SL and get 8,575 crowds. Struggling? Just a little local difficulty methinks?

Here's a real rock bottom statistic. Keighley 35th. in the league on 845 crowds 2006. Now that WAS struggling. However since they have got themselves together after those dark days and climbed the league 12 places crowds have grown over that seven year period to erm 803.....

John, with respect do you know what struggling means?

Edited by The Parksider, 05 February 2014 - 06:56 AM.

#814 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

Are they struggling now John?

They've just got rid of OK, they have secured the squad, they have an insurance of a parachute payment if relegated and an open door straight back up, they have a securing payment of £300K on it's way now from SKY, they have £1,800,000 a year also coming from SKY, and although they hit "rock bottom", rock bottom for them was ninth in Superleague and sixth best supported side in the northern hemisphere.

I'll repeat that. Rock bottom for poor spent Bulls was to come ninth in SL and get 8,575 crowds. Struggling? Just a little local difficulty methinks?

Here's a real rock bottom statistic. Keighley 35th. in the league on 845 crowds 2006. Now that WAS struggling. However since they have got themselves together after those dark days and climbed the league 12 places crowds have grown over that seven year period to erm 803.....

John, with respect do you know what struggling means?

You may be 1p in debt but if you don't have a penny, you're sunk. The more 1p's you don't have, the more in debt you are. The more people you owe, the less people to borrow from.

The money Bradford are due will largely pay debts, and pay for a mediocre squad. That team suffering injuries will likely be relegated and this will attract fewer people to offset the debts and operating costs.

No amount of willy waggling about the past, or blind optimism will offset the facts as they are now. Bradford have a long way to go and if they spend the coming season being embarrassed, get relegated and struggle to sell even more season tickets, playing clubs on the up, then there future prosperity is on a knife edge.

You see the problem with all your arguments are always based on the same thing, that the past dictates the future. In the past Bradford could afford key note signings and built their future with this method. Sadly they can't afford them, in fact only the NRL can. The other fact is that even mediocre Aussies are better off at home.

This brings us to the true leveller, the actual quality of the players available. The Championship clubs now have a chance to secure longer term relationships with developing players. Those players (pretty much ignored in the past such as Liam Finn - an example), even on modest full time contracts will be a match for a good proportion of an SL squad such as the ones at Bradford, Wakefield, Cas or London. There could be others. Faced with this situation, you either have the money to buy big, or you face the real task of going on an inevitable slide.

#815 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

http://i.rlfans.com/...p?f=33&t=564010

Wakefield Supporters Trust Letter

Not sure if a link to another Board is the done thing but this is very interesting - Sorry if its been posted before

#816 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Not sure if a link to another Board is the done thing but this is very interesting - Sorry if its been posted before

What a poisonous piece of vitriol.

I would have thought that Wakefield fans' time and efforts would be better spent focusing on their club and its many inadequacies rather than trying to land another club in more trouble.

People called Romans they go the house

#817 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

DIsgraceful.

#818 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Who are these new players we've signed?

Dean Gaskill and John Henry apparently.

:tongue: 

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#819 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

What a poisonous piece of vitriol.

I would have thought that Wakefield fans' time and efforts would be better spent focusing on their club and its many inadequacies rather than trying to land another club in more trouble.

Totally disagree with you. With P&R a major factor this season it is essential that the rules are applied scrupulously to the letter. 

It is right to ask for clarification if one believes rules are not.  I don't support either team but the letter seems reasonable to me. The RFL have to justify if they are treating situation differently or why they think its different.  As I've said before if I had a material or financial interest in Wakefield I would be consulting legal team if I thought rules not being applied correctly.

I don't read any vitriol in the letter, sorry to disagree and I have no axe to grind as it don't affect me.

#820 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,880 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

Totally disagree with you. With P&R a major factor this season it is essential that the rules are applied scrupulously to the letter. 

It is right to ask for clarification if one believes rules are not.  I don't support either team but the letter seems reasonable to me. The RFL have to justify if they are treating situation differently or why they think its different.  As I've said before if I had a material or financial interest in Wakefield I would be consulting legal team if I thought rules not being applied correctly.

I don't read any vitriol in the letter, sorry to disagree and I have no axe to grind as it don't affect me.

Agree with all this.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users