Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Bulls - not sounding good

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
942 replies to this topic

#821 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

Totally disagree with you. With P&R a major factor this season it is essential that the rules are applied scrupulously to the letter. 

It is right to ask for clarification if one believes rules are not.  I don't support either team but the letter seems reasonable to me. The RFL have to justify if they are treating situation differently or why they think its different.  As I've said before if I had a material or financial interest in Wakefield I would be consulting legal team if I thought rules not being applied correctly.

I don't read any vitriol in the letter, sorry to disagree and I have no axe to grind as it don't affect me.

Must admit that's the way I saw it

#822 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

DIsgraceful.

Why, because they have spoken out about their concerns on fairness.  It seems more disgraceful to me that people think that because they don't agree with somebodies else's viewpoint they shouldn't speak up.

If the RFL are applying by the rules they will publish an open letter stating why this letter is incorrect in its viewpoints. That all seems fair to me and will be a plus point for the RFL and its transparent approach, its willingness to listen to viewpoints and able to defend its position robustly.  All good positives for the administrators of the sport.

#823 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

Totally disagree with you. With P&R a major factor this season it is essential that the rules are applied scrupulously to the letter. 

I can't disagree with that point and perhaps vitriol was putting it too strongly, but I stand by my point.

Wakefield fans need to be doing everything they can to support their club and leave the Bradford situation to the governing body and to Bradford.

People called Romans they go the house

#824 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,848 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

1. You may be 1p in debt but if you don't have a penny, you're sunk.

2. The money Bradford are due will largely pay debts, and pay for a mediocre squad.

3. No amount of willy waggling about the past, or blind optimism will offset the facts 

4. The Championship clubs now have a chance to secure longer term relationships with developing players. .

1. Bradford are not in debt and are picking up 30,000,000 pennies in the next week or so.

2. Bradford cleared their debts just recently. You filter out anything you don't want to hear, 9th. in Superleague is not mediocre

3.  As for the past being redundant the next day suggest you check out the past longevity of the big clubs in Superleague. Thing about them is they are big enough to ride the hard times past, present and future.

4. No they don't the championship clubs on £250K SKY money will lose all their best players to SL clubs on  £1,800,000 SKY money.

Grind away at the cutting edge of that axe for too long and you'll grind the whole axe head away, and only have a stick left to wave.

Edited by The Parksider, 05 February 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#825 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Why, because they have spoken out about their concerns on fairness.  It seems more disgraceful to me that people think that because they don't agree with somebodies else's viewpoint they shouldn't speak up.

If the RFL are applying by the rules they will publish an open letter stating why this letter is incorrect in its viewpoints. That all seems fair to me and will be a plus point for the RFL and its transparent approach, its willingness to listen to viewpoints and able to defend its position robustly.  All good positives for the administrators of the sport.

Because there is no evidence as yet that favoritism has taken place.

But one other reason for my response is based on the sheer hypocrisy of it all.  You couldn't make it up. WHat is the actual point of the letter?

Please Mr RFL we've been so lucky in the past 16 years bending the rules and frankly taking the p**s we wouldn't want you applying similar latitude to other clubs.

Signed "Little Big Shot" on behalf of lots of Wakefield supporters.

Time could be better spent removing the plank from ones eye rather than pointing at the splinter in anothers.

#826 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,848 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

I don't support either team but the letter seems reasonable to me. The RFL have to justify if they are treating situation differently or why they think its different.  As I've said before if I had a material or financial interest in Wakefield I would be consulting legal team if I thought rules not being applied correctly.

Oh you would would you?

If I had financial interest in Wakefield Trinity I would be fighting to get my club into Newmarket and make them as precious to Superleague as the Bulls are.

I wouldn't be wanting the Bulls to be penalised, a successful Bulls used to double Wakefield's gates. 

A successful Wakefield and Bulls could expect to trade 10,000 crowds every year.

It's bonkers to want to do each other down.

#827 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

1. Bradford are not in debt and are picking up 30,000,000 pennies in the next week or so.

2. Bradford cleared their debts just recently. You filter out anything you don't want to hear, 9th. in Superleague is not mediocre

3.  As for the past being redundant the next day suggest you check out the past longevity of the big clubs in Superleague. Thing about them is they are big enough to ride the hard times past, present and future.

4. No they don't the championship clubs on £250K SKY money will lose all their best players to SL clubs on  £1,800,000 SKY money.

Grind away at the cutting edge of that axe for too long and you'll grind the whole axe head away, and only have a stick left to wave.

You'r deluded. Tell him all in the garden is rosy. 

I have no axe to grind with Bradford

#828 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,848 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

I have no axe to grind with Bradford

Not now it's worn away.

Let's see how your theory about the rise of Championship clubs pans out Dalesman, you are not alone, there must be 20 of you convinced playing strength will grow, crowds will be on the up and they are so "well managed" that it's inevitable SL will swap them for the rubbish SL clubs.

It's good to discount the past, then you don't have to explain why a rise up CC1, then promotion to CC and consolidation in CC has seen Keighley's crowds fall.

#829 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Is the letter wanting the Bulls penalised or just wanting clarification and why Trinity were threatened with relegation and the worst Bradford can expect is a points deductuon?

#830 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,848 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Is the letter wanting the Bulls penalised or just wanting clarification and why Trinity were threatened with relegation and the worst Bradford can expect is a points deductuon?

It's quite clear that what Wakefield want is their penalty removed in the cause of common sense.

Whilst that may be hard to do as 2011 is passed, I am sure Trinity will accept a 4 point start this year seem as how in 2011 the penalty took them into the bottom two?

#831 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

Are they struggling now John?

They've just got rid of OK, they have secured the squad, they have an insurance of a parachute payment if relegated and an open door straight back up, they have a securing payment of £300K on it's way now from SKY, they have £1,800,000 a year also coming from SKY, and although they hit "rock bottom", rock bottom for them was ninth in Superleague and sixth best supported side in the northern hemisphere.

I'll repeat that. Rock bottom for poor spent Bulls was to come ninth in SL and get 8,575 crowds. Struggling? Just a little local difficulty methinks?

Here's a real rock bottom statistic. Keighley 35th. in the league on 845 crowds 2006. Now that WAS struggling. However since they have got themselves together after those dark days and climbed the league 12 places crowds have grown over that seven year period to erm 803.....

John, with respect do you know what struggling means?

1. Keighley have nothing to do with the point under discussion. Did I or anyone else claim they nwere a "BIG CLUB".

2. You have no idea if Bradford have reached their nadir or not. A slide from no 1 to no no 9 is alarming. If the trend is to continue the club will fall further down this list. Historical precedent suggests that once Bradford's slide starts it becomes a headlong slippery slope to disaster. I think it's time to take the BIG CLUB tag from the Bulls. That's my opinion. Just like others have different opinions I have a right to mine.

#832 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Has the chairman of Wakefield spoken out about the events at Bradford in the past week or so? I only ask as if he hadn't said anything at his fans forum then there there wouldn't be half as much bother as there has been - as the threat to remove Wakey from SL currently remains anecdotal.

This isn't meant to be accusatory by the way, but if that threat was true I'd be screaming blue murder the first chance I got rather than letting the fans do my job for me. Maybe he still will, although it could be a masssive can of worms waiting to be opened.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#833 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

Not now it's worn away.

Let's see how your theory about the rise of Championship clubs pans out Dalesman, you are not alone, there must be 20 of you convinced playing strength will grow, crowds will be on the up and they are so "well managed" that it's inevitable SL will swap them for the rubbish SL clubs.

It's good to discount the past, then you don't have to explain why a rise up CC1, then promotion to CC and consolidation in CC has seen Keighley's crowds fall.

You don't see that using the successful Bradford Bulls club of several years ago to push them as a BIG CLUB in the present is like me pushing the argument that Keighley are a top level Championship club AT PRESENT because they were a big time club in the championship club in the era of Cougarmania. In either case it's not a coherent logical argument but you keep persisting in repeating the big lie hoping it will become accepted dogma.

Bradford are in trouble. They have all the attributes of a failing, faltering company. They may or may not right the ship but, at present, the Titanic is stuck on the iceberg. they are not the unsinkable leviathan of previous legend.

Looking at the letter from the Wakefield supports it certainly seems that double standards are being applied. If so this could result in the relegation of Trinity because of the application of one set of standards to them not being required of the Bulls. I think that the request for clarification is understandable.

#834 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

I hope we can all settle down to watch a very exciting season, and that we have finished with all this poisonous vitriol which seems to be never ending. Today I have  read  a Wakefield supporter criticising the league fixtures. He complains that they have to start the season against the toughest side- Salford!!!. Just part of the victimisation that he says is thrown at the club. If it wasn't so laughable I could cry.

#835 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

Has the chairman of Wakefield spoken out about the events at Bradford in the past week or so? I only ask as if he hadn't said anything at his fans forum then there there wouldn't be half as much bother as there has been - as the threat to remove Wakey from SL currently remains anecdotal.

This isn't meant to be accusatory by the way, but if that threat was true I'd be screaming blue murder the first chance I got rather than letting the fans do my job for me. Maybe he still will, although it could be a masssive can of worms waiting to be opened.

The fans forum was back in September so it was completely independent of the current Bradford situation. Coincidently enough the chairman is due to speak on Radio Leeds tonight so it might be worth a listen to see if he expands on the claim or not.

Ultimately no matter how much we Trinity fans whinge it's not going to make an iota of difference to what happens to the Bulls.

#836 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

The fans forum was back in September so it was completely independent of the current Bradford situation. Coincidently enough the chairman is due to speak on Radio Leeds tonight so it might be worth a listen to see if he expands on the claim or not.

Ultimately no matter how much we Trinity fans whinge it's not going to make an iota of difference to what happens to the Bulls.

See, that's better.

Now if you'd kindly roll over and be relegated then we can move on from this silliness.

;)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#837 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

I knew the fans forum was before the Bulls thing - in fact if it wasn't, would he have been so willing to disclose private discussions with the RFL? Didn't know he was on Radio Leeds tonight, so I'll reserve judgement until then. Like I say, could be a real can of worms.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#838 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Not now it's worn away.

I tell you I have no axe to grind with Bradford but you continue anyway. I also empathise with the unnecessary girding of loins over Bradfords predicament.

Quite clearly Keighley is Keighley and Bradford is Bradford unless you're on your other crusade about mergers. Otherwise I don't get what you're on about, you must be referring to someone else.

It's indiscriminate and random old boy. :hunter:

Edited by Ackroman, 05 February 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#839 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

I tell you I have no axe to grind with Bradford but you continue anyway. I also empathise with the unnecessary girding of loins over Bradfords predicament.

Quite clearly Keighley is Keighley and Bradford is Bradford unless you're on your other crusade about mergers. Otherwise I don't get what you're on about, you must be referring to someone else.

It's indiscriminate and random old boy. :hunter:

Keighley are fighting against reality.....they should save their time and effort for developing the SL players of the future.....Ideally for Bradford, but if that doesn't work out Huddersfield is a good candidate!

#840 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

Keighley are fighting against reality.....they should save their time and effort for developing the SL players of the future.....Ideally for Bradford, but if that doesn't work out Huddersfield is a good candidate!

:crazy: ???????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users