Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Bulls - not sounding good

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
942 replies to this topic

#881 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

Well we don't know if it's true, but the default position seems to be assume what looks the worst regardless of any fact or information known. Also, an advance is an advance, not a loan or a debt.

Maybe its how the article was worded, but one would've thought there would be no need to pay back monies that were due to the club regardless.

#882 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Luke Gale signs 2 year extension with the Bulls.

http://www.bradfordb...-commits-future

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#883 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

Luke Gale signs 2 year extension with the Bulls.

http://www.bradfordb...-commits-future

Probably from the money that the RFL have advanced them. What happens when in the near future all the money advanced to them has been used up, and because of the money advanced to them they will be receiving less money from the RFL than other Super League clubs?

#884 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

What happens when in the near future all the money advanced to them has been used up, and because of the money advanced to them they will be receiving less money from the RFL than other Super League clubs?

article-2126053-1267D910000005DC-988_468

Edited by Old Frightful, 12 February 2014 - 07:37 AM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#885 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

Finally!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#886 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Warrington forward Danny Bridge joins Bradford on a month's loan.

We really are pally when it comes to Wire, is it because they know I have a huge man-crush on DaveT? :unsure:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#887 7723

• Coach
  • 552 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

Gareth Carvell has left Bradford for Hull.

#888 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

"Prospective Bulls owner Richard Lamb began conversing with supporters on Twitter earlier this week."

Obviously seen how much fun Marwan is having and come to join the party! Our aim should be one at every club,

but remember " A chairman is not just for Christmas!"  ;) Hope it goes well at the Bulls!

Edited by Oxford, 13 February 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#889 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

However the Bulls do not believe the former Great Britain international is free to walk away, saying they "did not accept his refusal to transfer to Bradford Bulls 2014 Ltd" and that "his playing contract will only allow him to resign if the club is guilty of serious and persistent breach of the terms and conditions of this agreement".

I'm not an employment lawyer, but I've dealt with TUPE often enough to know that, provided you refuse the transfer before the date of the transfer to a new company then you can walk away absolutely free on the date of transfer.   Provided Carvell told them up front that he wasn't transferring, they simply don't have the power to "not accept" anything.

As far as I can see, if Carvell has the paperwork to prove he told the incoming company at the Bulls that he wasn't TUPEing across, then he's free to do whatever he likes and is therefore a Hull FC player.

As for Carvell himself his first priority will be his family and, particularly as he's at the end of a short career, you have to respect his desire to provide security for them. 

That's me.  I'm done.

#890 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

What you say about employment law is true, but apparently Carvell did not do this, and still has a car from his employment at Bradford. I praised TUPE when it was first enacted because at last it gave the worker protection should his company be taken over. Rugby League appears to be attempting to drive a coach and horses through it ( or is it players agents?). We have had the Kopczak case where another law suit proved plans had been made to miss use TUPE. Bradford are now being left to have to place the Carvell case in the hands of lawyers, as I understand that Hull haven't even contacted Bradford about the signing. In my working life I was involved in many cases which involved changes to TUPE laws, but I cannot recall one single case where either party attempted to abuse TUPE, and I have always upheld Rugby League has the true working mans game, but not now.

#891 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

What you say about employment law is true, but apparently Carvell did not do this, and still has a car from his employment at Bradford. I praised TUPE when it was first enacted because at last it gave the worker protection should his company be taken over. Rugby League appears to be attempting to drive a coach and horses through it ( or is it players agents?). We have had the Kopczak case where another law suit proved plans had been made to miss use TUPE. Bradford are now being left to have to place the Carvell case in the hands of lawyers, as I understand that Hull haven't even contacted Bradford about the signing. In my working life I was involved in many cases which involved changes to TUPE laws, but I cannot recall one single case where either party attempted to abuse TUPE, and I have always upheld Rugby League has the true working mans game, but not now.

Did the Kopczak case prove this? That wasn't what they got into trouble for was it?

#892 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

Merge Bradford with Leeds and merge the two Hull Clubs for a start.............................

SL needs rationalisation.

:tongue:

Edited by boxhead, 13 February 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#893 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

As for Carvell himself his first priority will be his family and, particularly as he's at the end of a short career, you have to respect his desire to provide security for them. 

I don't think any Bradford fans really have a problem with what Carvell has done. It is more the duplicitous way he has gone about it that has rankled.

People called Romans they go the house

#894 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

Did the Kopczak case prove this? That wasn't what they got into trouble for was it?

I don't think the Kopczak case proved this at all.  Kopczak left the Bulls as he, completely lawfully, refused to be TUPEd across to the new company.  The fuss was to do with when Huddersfield approached him. 

Apparently there was some sort of gentleman's agreement that no club would offer contracts to Bulls players, which seems bloody odd to me.  If all the major companies in my industry conspired to stop me getting a new job I'd be furious.

That's me.  I'm done.

#895 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

I don't think any Bradford fans really have a problem with what Carvell has done. It is more the duplicitous way he has gone about it that has rankled.

I find in these matters that people rarely object to what a player has done, but often object to the way he has done it.

As far as I can see, he's left a sinking ship and got a new job.   No more, no less than that.

That's me.  I'm done.

#896 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

Bradford want to forget all about courts, If Carvell wants to be elswhere then Bradford dont want him,  Move on and concentrate on who they have got. End of the day he is looking after his own, Just like we all do.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#897 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

The last time the Bulls lawered up in the HARIS saga, the resultant expenses and penalties contributed to their first meltdown. I hope Carvell is worth the risk in financial terms

#898 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

The last time the Bulls lawered up in the HARIS saga, the resultant expenses and penalties contributed to their first meltdown. I hope Carvell is worth the risk in financial terms

Correction: The last time Leeds lawyered up in the HARIS saga, the resultant expenses and penalties contributed to their coffers.

As usual you've got it wrong.  However, the point you're trying to make is correct.  I would suggest a cursory legal approach and see what comes back.  If it looks like a long dark road then we should leave it alone.  But maybe it'll be a lump of cash wrapped up in a black and white bag together with a 'take this and do one' love letter attached. In which case we should follow the instructions.

Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#899 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 963 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

If Carvell is driving a Bradford club car I'd simply inform the police. If he's not a club employee he's probably driving without insurance, and I'd suggest to them that he's stolen the car as well. Can't have it both ways, can he?

And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#900 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

If Carvell is driving a Bradford club car I'd simply inform the police. If he's not a club employee he's probably driving without insurance, and I'd suggest to them that he's stolen the car as well. Can't have it both ways, can he?

Bradford think he is an employee.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users