Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

great news from widnes

director increases investment

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

widnes director roddy snoddon has increased his investment in the club...........http://www.widnesvik...-to-be-involved
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#2 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,844 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

What return is paid on this "investment" ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,684 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

What return is paid on this "investment" ?

Pleasure and the satisfaction of being involved with the club and a bit of harmless kudos

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

Reads to me like he's increased his share ownership rather than invested in the club, presumably other shareholders have now "un-invested" as there ownership share decreased.  Interesting to Widnes fans perhaps, but not what I'd class as good news unless he's now to embark on a cash injection to the actual club.

#5 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

It seems odd that fans of other clubs are so negative about this.

Maybe it isn't "new" money, but it reduces the reliance on O'Connor and his money.

That must be a good thing?

It's great to see some fans happy with their club, we have enough doom without searching for it.

#6 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Reads to me like he's increased his share ownership rather than invested in the club, presumably other shareholders have now "un-invested" as there ownership share decreased.  Interesting to Widnes fans perhaps, but not what I'd class as good news unless he's now to embark on a cash injection to the actual club.

Could potentially be new shares in the club, so not necessarily "uninvestment" elsewhere. Nice to see some good news in amongst all the negativity anyway, even if it's just a bit of a fanfare over nothing. Nowt that certain other clubs the other side of the pennines are doing as well, eh VW. ;)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

Whether its new money or not doesn't matter. A bit of (good) news management is always welcome.

Other clubs could take a leaf out of Widnes' book and spin the good news stories out as often as you can. Clubs should have these stock piled for close season and be trotting them out on a regular basis.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#8 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,985 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

I give up, I really do...  A lot of posts hidden to try to get back to the original, genuinely positive note of the thread.  I decided it was very unlikely to get back on track if I left the negative stuff there so it's been tidied away to give the thread a fresh start.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#9 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Positive investment in RL shocker ,

shouldn't  be allowed .

Don't you know the World Cup is over now & upbeat stories are at odds with the Wakefield wobble, - Bronco's Busted, & Bradford's 'even more badly manged than the Co-op Bank ' stories.  

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:46 AM

Whether its new money or not doesn't matter. A bit of (good) news management is always welcome.

Do we want it both ways? We always want the truth which is what everyone is congratulating the Bradford board for, yet spin stories keep the facts from us? This is a debate site, and we aren't the general public?

#11 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:19 AM

Do we want it both ways? We always want the truth which is what everyone is congratulating the Bradford board for, yet spin stories keep the facts from us? This is a debate site, and we aren't the general public?

Think I'm with you Parky, suprised people are getting so defensive because the bunting isn't being rolled out by all.

Not having read the posts that's been deleted hard to judge if they were overly negative, but stand by my point this maybe of interest to Widnes fans, but not seeing a massive "good news" story myself in the detail of the article linked, bloke buys more shares, so either someone has sold them there share or collectively the Widnes board have diluted there holding to give him a greater slice of the pie.

Now if the story had said I've bought more shares and I'm investing X into the actual club instead of the pockets of other shareholders then for me that'd be the time to be cracking open the good news threads - but its just a message board with differing opinions not seeing a need for people to get precious over it.

#12 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

Think I'm with you Parky, suprised people are getting so defensive because the bunting isn't being rolled out by all.

Not having read the posts that's been deleted hard to judge if they were overly negative, but stand by my point this maybe of interest to Widnes fans, but not seeing a massive "good news" story myself in the detail of the article linked, bloke buys more shares, so either someone has sold them there share or collectively the Widnes board have diluted there holding to give him a greater slice of the pie.

Now if the story had said I've bought more shares and I'm investing X into the actual club instead of the pockets of other shareholders then for me that'd be the time to be cracking open the good news threads - but its just a message board with differing opinions not seeing a need for people to get precious over it.

When a story says a club has had money put into it I think "great" and can't help asking "how much". Let's take Mr. Nahaboo's £100,000 he put into the club to take it forward. Great story. Widnes never say how much.

Edited by The Parksider, 06 December 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

the facts are that roddy has bought extra shares in the club thus increasing his personal stake and providing more finance for the development of the club, why is it that a good news story from a super league club is met with an onslaught of negativity from the usual suspects. yes a club has positive financial news and is on a secure footing.......shock horror!!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#14 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

the facts are that roddy has bought extra shares in the club thus increasing his personal stake and providing more finance for the development of the club, why is it that a good news story from a super league club is met with an onslaught of negativity from the usual suspects. yes a club has positive financial news and is on a secure footing.......shock horror!!!

The thing is though, we don't know if it is putting money into the club. It could very well be that he's bought shares from another director which means he is putting money into that director's pocket. Or it could be the current shareholders have created new shares and these have been sold to the new guy, in which case it is money gong into the club. We just don't know which one it is. You shouldn't take it personally.

That said, it is probably better for a club to have a broad base of shareholders rather than be reliant on one man.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#15 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

In any event it's good for the Club that he has the confidence in them to take up a bigger shareholding.

#16 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

the facts are that roddy has bought extra shares in the club thus increasing his personal stake and providing more finance for the development of the club, why is it that a good news story from a super league club is met with an onslaught of negativity

It's great news VW and you intimate it's additional shares via the word "extra", the only issue is, in this case and in the case of sponsorship deals you inform us of, you never say how much these are worth? On 6,000 crowds like several club you have a shortfall to make up. If the xtra shares are just a one off £50,000, then that's £50K towards Widnes's aims, and nobody can knock that.

If the gentleman had pledged £1 Million a year for life I bet you'd have told us that figure. No need to be defensive on the figures we all want the best for Widnes, but we are all interested in the full facts.

Edited by The Parksider, 06 December 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#17 littlebigfella

littlebigfella
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

if anything with bradford going bust widnes will be able to get a few more players..... always look on the bright side

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

i'm not being defensive, none of our directors haven't publicised the amount of investment in the club but rest assured the plan is to take the club to the next level of super league development whilst at the same time remaining financially solvent. from what we have been told a substantial amount has been invested in the club by roddy, and that it will help to further develop the club as a going concern...

#19 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

i'm not being defensive, none of our directors haven't publicised the amount of investment in the club but rest assured the plan is to take the club to the next level of super league development whilst at the same time remaining financially solvent. from what we have been told a substantial amount has been invested in the club by roddy, and that it will help to further develop the club as a going concern...

Good luck with it.....

#20 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

It seems odd that fans of other clubs are so negative about this.

Maybe it isn't "new" money, but it reduces the reliance on O'Connor and his money.

That must be a good thing?

It's great to see some fans happy with their club, we have enough doom without searching for it.

exactly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users