Nelson Mandela - other subjects

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
264 replies to this topic

#21 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Ok great man etc but we are having it shoved down our throats a bit.

Perfect example. Just been listening to 5 live and acceptably they are covering it as a sports/news station but are trying to get anyone who has ever visited South Africa to give an opinion. The had someone from the SA union 95 team on.....followed by someone who painted Mandela....Then they tried to get through to the worlds greats, yes they about to put on former Manchester United South African player Quinton Fortune and get his thoughts. Ok technical difficulties stopped that interview but it was enough to make me switch the coverage off and start looking on the radio bbc i-player for something to listen to.

Not being harsh and it is right the media are covering as the main news (probably biggest story of the year) but there are only so many angles they can approach it.

#22 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,569 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

Just had a genuine 'shake your head in disbelief' moment on Facebook - a 'friend' angrily complaining that 'comedy' Mrs Brown's Boys was cut short by ten minutes to allow for coverage of one of the greatest icons in history. I really despair sometimes......

Mandela wanted to make the world a better place. And cutting short a broadcast of 'Mrs Brown's Boys' shows that even death is no obstacle to him.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,241 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thatcher did describe the ANC as a terrorist organisation, which, by any conventional definition in those days it was, prior to Mandela's release. Organisations that took up arms were either terrorists or freedom fighters, with most conventional politicians describing them as the former, rather than the latter.

Thatcher played a key role in Mandela's release, however.

In a letter to the then South African Prime Minister P W Botha in October 1985 she wrote: "I continue to believe, as I have said to you before, that the release of Nelson Mandela would have more impact than almost any single action you could undertake."

Part of Mandela's greatness was his recognition that the warlike rhetoric of the avowedly Marxist ANC was totally inadequate for the problems he would face after his release.

If you look back at the speech he delivered from the balcony of the Town Hall in Cape Town on the night he was released, it was full of Marxist jargon, including a statement that the armed struggle would continue. The speech had been written for him by the ANC, who insisted that on a visit to London soon after his release that he should refuse to meet Thatcher.

But on his second visit to London that year he did meet Thatcher and praised her role in ending apartheid, much to the consternation of some of the leading ANC officials.

But Mandela was strong enough to lead the ANC in a new direction, ridding it of its destructive tendencies.

That really was a remarkable achievement.

Thanks for that martyn

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#24 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

Not just youthful silliness perhaps? Today's Indy: Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa

It was a fact finding mission. Even if it was funded by an anti-sanctions lobby, it did give him the chance to meet black trades unionists and politicians. I can't see the problem in him going on it.

#25 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

Didn't Mrs Thatcher call him a terrorist?

He reluctantly became so. If you read his autobiography, he said that he took up the armed struggle solely because no other avenue of protest was open to the ANC and the regime would regularly use violence against peaceful protestors. I think we can understand why the ANC went down that route. I can also understand to some extent why some consider him to have been a terrorist. I disagree with them but I understand where they are coming from. The ANC did some terrible things during the struggle, I think that a lot of these things troubled Mandela both at the time and later on.

#26 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

24 hour news does not improve the coverage or standards it simply spreads it thinly.

I hope that the factions within his own family don't taint his memory.

#27 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

Fleet Street Fox

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#28 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

An excellent article.

#29 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Mandela wanted to make the world a better place. And cutting short a broadcast of 'Mrs Brown's Boys' shows that even death is no obstacle to him.

Cutting short Mres Brown's Boys is just another of his achievements

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#30 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

Cutting short Mres Brown's Boys is just another of his achievements

Possibly his finest. :D

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#31 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,679 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

At least they haven't cancelled this weekend's sport, which they did when Diana Spencer died.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#32 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

Coro is still on, too. 

#33 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

Coro is still on, too. 

Ah well, you can't have everything. <_<

#34 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

Fleet Street Fox

But it is up to us to remember the most important thing he fought for.

Mandela wouldn't say 'don't bother to vote'. He wouldn't say 'stuff politics'. He wouldn't call for change then sit back and wait for it to happen by itself, like Russell Brand.

Vote, every chance you get. Fight, argue, persist. Be free, just as hard as you can be.

Maybe then Nelson Mandela can be left to rest in peace.

That has been noted!

#35 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

And the odds of Idris Elba winning best actor Oscar now?

De Klerk is so undervalued on the down turn of aparteid it's unbelievable. In all respect if it wasn't for him South Africa nay have waited almost a  decade to "see sense". Botha bottled it. Offer certain restrictions and Mandela said no. Extremely humbling that De Klerk then served UNDER Mandela when he was elected.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#36 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

I seem to remember that the BBC cut into the Antiques Roadshow when Mandela was released from prison. That really upset some people.

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,241 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

De Klerk is so undervalued on the down turn of aparteid it's unbelievable. In all respect if it wasn't for him South Africa nay have waited almost a  decade to "see sense". Botha bottled it. Offer certain restrictions and Mandela said no. Extremely humbling that De Klerk then served UNDER Mandela when he was elected.

yes

I feel strongly about that myself

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#38 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

FWIW Mandela was pretty scathing of De Klerk in his autobiography.

#39 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

FWIW Mandela was pretty scathing of De Klerk in his autobiography.

But wouldn't have been President without him................

to an extent anyway.

Edited by Mumby Magic, 06 December 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#40 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

But wouldn't have been President without him................

to an extent anyway.

Hard to say. Mandela said he dragged his feet and negotiated in bad faith. Curiously he prefered Botha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users