Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ryan Hall off the field

leeds rhinos ryan hall off the field

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Although two or three over-critical bores on here tried to rubbish it, we had amazing feedback on our Off The Field interview with Ben Westwood last week. We've therefore made it into a regular feature.

Here's the latest one, which was printed in Monday's League Express, with Leeds winger Ryan Hall: http://www.totalrl.c...ague-interview/

I found it very surprising to discover Hall listens to Eva Cassidy and plays the piano. I loved imagining Westwood and Burgess chokeslamming each other at the pool, too. Hope you all enjoy it.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#2 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Although two or three over-critical bores on here tried to rubbish it, 

Wow, you're really a student of the Martyn Sadler School of accepting criticism.

i'm actually ok with these as an off-season thing, we need more characters in the game.

Edited by Just Browny, 06 December 2013 - 12:08 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#3 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,838 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Wow, you're really a student of the Martyn Sadler School of accepting criticism.

i'm actually ok with these as an off-season thing, we need more characters in the game.

I've never accused you of being boring.

#4 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

Although two or three over-critical bores on here tried to rubbish it, we had amazing feedback on our Off The Field interview with Ben Westwood last week. We've therefore made it into a regular feature.

Here's the latest one, which was printed in Monday's League Express, with Leeds winger Ryan Hall: http://www.totalrl.c...ague-interview/

I found it very surprising to discover Hall listens to Eva Cassidy and plays the piano. I loved imagining Westwood and Burgess chokeslamming each other at the pool, too. Hope you all enjoy it.

May as well as add me to the bores as well, what a load of adolescent tripe, expect you swapped Top Trumps and discussed who was your favourite Power Rangers as well.

C'mon Joe, it's mostly adults who visit this site.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#5 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

I don't mind fun articles but these 2 articles  haven't really added anything to our understanding of professional sportsmen, what drives them, what influences they have.

I agree the questions are very much the sort aimed at teenagers. Favourite colour? really?

#6 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 727 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

I've enjoyed both interviews. RL fans whinge about EVERYTHING to do with Rugby League and it's a great sport. So if they're whinging about the interviews then they must be good too. One thing in life I will never understand is why we as fans have to complain as much?
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

It's just a bit of fun. Not to everyone's taste, perhaps, but what is?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

May as well as add me to the bores as well, what a load of adolescent tripe, expect you swapped Top Trumps and discussed who was your favourite Power Rangers as well.

C'mon Joe, it's mostly adults who visit this site.

What a lovely chap you are!

TotalRL.com Editor

#9 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

It's just a bit of fun. Not to everyone's taste, perhaps, but what is?

Exactly, it doesn't always have to be in-depth analysis, what's wrong with something a bit off-topic?

TotalRL.com Editor

#10 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

I've enjoyed both interviews. RL fans whinge about EVERYTHING to do with Rugby League and it's a great sport. So if they're whinging about the interviews then they must be good too. One thing in life I will never understand is why we as fans have to complain as much?

I've been wondering that, too, Dave.

TotalRL.com Editor

#11 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

Not everything has to be grim hard-hitting stories, a bit of levity now and then is fine

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

Not getting your five daily portions of relentless negativity will give you scurvy, mind. ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Not everything has to be grim hard-hitting stories, a bit of levity now and then is fine

Exactly, Brooza. Thanks for that.

TotalRL.com Editor

#14 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Are the questions sent to them and they respond to them all at once or is it done in person (or over the phone etc)? For future ones it would be nice to see a follow up to some of the questions, for example, I'm interested to know what piano piece he's learning to play

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,812 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

i like them. Not everything has to bee so serious.

Personally i get bored of the identikit interviews - for example when a player joins a new club.

As much as Im cynical about Koukash - his interviews are worth reading/listen to.

#16 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

Joe you have my backing all the way.

I like a bit of absract.  An important point being overlooked by those criticising is that if you get a bit of an insight into someone's personality (and it's a good one) you are more likley to want to support them.  Like it or not, supporting sports stars isn't just about what they do on the field.

#17 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,838 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

Joe you have my backing all the way.

I like a bit of absract.  An important point being overlooked by those criticising is that if you get a bit of an insight into someone's personality (and it's a good one) you are more likley to want to support them.  Like it or not, supporting sports stars isn't just about what they do on the field.

And you build up empathy with them.

I happen to be a great fan of Eva Cassidy's music.

It's very interesting, for me at least, to discover that Ryan Hall is too.

GaryO and Red Willow are obviously profound thinkers who probably restrict their reading to War and Peace and Plato's Republic.

But for the rest of us, who sometimes like to relax a little, a light-hearted interview with a well-known player is just what the doctor ordered.

#18 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,846 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Not getting your five daily portions of relentless negativity will give you scurvy, mind. ;)

That's outdated thinking.  Rugby league folk need a healthy portion of shoulder chip along with the relentless negativity in order to function to a basic standard.  For peak efficiency, regular doses of unwarranted paranoia and bitterness do wonders for the joints.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#19 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

And you build up empathy with them.

I happen to be a great fan of Eva Cassidy's music.

It's very interesting, for me at least, to discover that Ryan Hall is too.

GaryO and Red Willow are obviously profound thinkers who probably restrict their reading to War and Peace and Plato's Republic.

But for the rest of us, who sometimes like to relax a little, a light-hearted interview with a well-known player is just what the doctor ordered.

Actually Martin I am just partaking in a academical paper relating to the hemispherical structures of the brain, quite an eye opener how various like minded people are catagorised.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#20 Gansons Optician

Gansons Optician
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

Ryan Hall is a very interesting and talented young man, with Tomkins now gone he gets my nomination as Super League's figurehead. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users