Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ryan Hall off the field

leeds rhinos ryan hall off the field

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

Are the questions sent to them and they respond to them all at once or is it done in person (or over the phone etc)? For future ones it would be nice to see a follow up to some of the questions, for example, I'm interested to know what piano piece he's learning to play

It's done over the phone, Brooza, and there are always follow-ups. Not all of them make the cut though as we have a word count to adhere to. Perhaps I'll start publishing the full transcripts online. Good idea.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#22 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

i like them. Not everything has to bee so serious.

Personally i get bored of the identikit interviews - for example when a player joins a new club.

As much as Im cynical about Koukash - his interviews are worth reading/listen to.

Thanks Dave. That was what I was trying to get away from with the introduction of these. I realise some of the questions are ridiculously basic but it's all stuff I want to know about the top players and I find it very refreshing to read alongside the hard-hitting transfer stuff.

TotalRL.com Editor

#23 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

Joe you have my backing all the way.

I like a bit of absract.  An important point being overlooked by those criticising is that if you get a bit of an insight into someone's personality (and it's a good one) you are more likley to want to support them.  Like it or not, supporting sports stars isn't just about what they do on the field.

Thanks Tonka, that is certainly the intention and I'm glad you've seen that.

TotalRL.com Editor

#24 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Ryan Hall is a very interesting and talented young man, with Tomkins now gone he gets my nomination as Super League's figurehead. 

Ryan you wag :-)

#25 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:16 AM

Although two or three over-critical bores on here tried to rubbish it, we had amazing feedback on our Off The Field interview with Ben Westwood last week. We've therefore made it into a regular feature.

Here's the latest one, which was printed in Monday's League Express, with Leeds winger Ryan Hall: http://www.totalrl.c...ague-interview/

I found it very surprising to discover Hall listens to Eva Cassidy and plays the piano. I loved imagining Westwood and Burgess chokeslamming each other at the pool, too. Hope you all enjoy it.

Very interesting interview, enjoyed reading thank you. Can you do Danny Kirmond next? :)

Posted Image

#26 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

Very interesting interview, enjoyed reading thank you. Can you do Danny Kirmond next? :)

Glad you liked it! Will try get hold of Kirmond if you want. In the meantime, I did one with your new signing Paul McShane that is going online later today. He says he bought a dog off Danny Kirmond!

TotalRL.com Editor

#27 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Glad you liked it! Will try get hold of Kirmond if you want. In the meantime, I did one with your new signing Paul McShane that is going online later today. He says he bought a dog off Danny Kirmond!

Now Danny has a lady friend he'll save a ton on peanut butter. I take it Joel Monaghan didn't fancy it?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

Interview a Bulls player while they're still there.

I need to know whether Tom Olbison prefers strawberry jam or raspberry, dammit.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

http://www.totalrl.c...ird-time-lucky/

TotalRL.com Editor

#30 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,519 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Although two or three over-critical bores on here tried to rubbish it, we had amazing feedback on our Off The Field interview with Ben Westwood last week. We've therefore made it into a regular feature.

Here's the latest one, which was printed in Monday's League Express, with Leeds winger Ryan Hall: http://www.totalrl.c...ague-interview/

I found it very surprising to discover Hall listens to Eva Cassidy and plays the piano. I loved imagining Westwood and Burgess chokeslamming each other at the pool, too. Hope you all enjoy it.

Hyper critical bores eh

What's the difference between bog standard critical and hyper critical? Do tell

You wanted feedback you got it. If you had wanted your belly tickling you should have said

As for the 'bore' bit well thanks for that. I was(apparently hyper) critical of the piece so that makes me a note too. I'll wear the label with pride, but suggest you check out your own output.

This US the kind if stuff that has been appearing in club programmes for decades and it works. It's also the kind if stuff that's been appearing in 'another rugby  league paper' as well. I'm sure they think imitation is,well you know what it is.

If this works for LE excellent and it isn't a reason to stop reading the paper

If not being the biggest fan of it means you get called a hyper critical bore then it looks like a long standing Monday morning ritual gas come to an end

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#31 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

Hyper critical bores eh

What's the difference between bog standard critical and hyper critical? Do tell

You wanted feedback you got it. If you had wanted your belly tickling you should have said

As for the 'bore' bit well thanks for that. I was(apparently hyper) critical of the piece so that makes me a note too. I'll wear the label with pride, but suggest you check out your own output.

This US the kind if stuff that has been appearing in club programmes for decades and it works. It's also the kind if stuff that's been appearing in 'another rugby  league paper' as well. I'm sure they think imitation is,well you know what it is.

If this works for LE excellent and it isn't a reason to stop reading the paper

If not being the biggest fan of it means you get called a hyper critical bore then it looks like a long standing Monday morning ritual gas come to an end

This was actually an idea I developed at my previous role over two years ago at a golf magazine.

I was simply defending what I thought was interesting content, no hard feelings.

Edited by Joe Whitley, 11 December 2013 - 01:32 PM.

TotalRL.com Editor

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,519 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

This was actually an idea I developed at my previous role over two years ago at a golf magazine.

I was simply defending what I thought was interesting content, no hard feelings.

None at all Joe

Believe me my comments were meant constructively

I empathise more than perhaps you know. It's the close season and all that.

I think rugby league players are really interesting people in other ways

And if your stuff goes down well generally well that's a good thing

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#33 NiborThis

NiborThis
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

I quite liked the idea of asking off topic Questions to Ryan Hall, any other interview you would here with him is serious anyway, why not do something a bit off topic

#34 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

I don't mind fun articles but these 2 articles haven't really added anything to our understanding of professional sportsmen, what drives them, what influences they have.

I agree the questions are very much the sort aimed at teenagers. Favourite colour? really?

Not everyone wants to know about the sports person. Some people want to know about the person.
Posted Image

#35 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

May as well as add me to the bores as well, what a load of adolescent tripe, expect you swapped Top Trumps and discussed who was your favourite Power Rangers as well.

C'mon Joe, it's mostly adults who visit this site.

Theres a really easy way for you not to be bored by this "adolescent tripe". Dont read it or involve yourself in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users