Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A right to know?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

A right know.

Is it not about time that the supporters were told whats going on? I've heard loads of rumors about the club. They range from we have only got a few days left! to there is a bloke called Dave who is looking at buying the club! If the lions are to be rescued the chances are that all hands will be needed on deck. But for one reason or another we are being told nothing.

My theory is vanity as nobody wants the fools that support the club to know what is going on.

This really is getting beyond a joke. If the lions are to survive we need to know.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#2 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

A right know.

Is it not about time that the supporters were told whats going on? I've heard loads of rumors about the club. They range from we have only got a few days left! to there is a bloke called Dave who is looking at buying the club! If the lions are to be rescued the chances are that all hands will be needed on deck. But for one reason or another we are being told nothing.

My theory is vanity as nobody wants the fools that support the club to know what is going on.

This really is getting beyond a joke. If the lions are to survive we need to know.

See the Trust website for latest update (6th December)

#3 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Might it be Dave Hughes?

It does seem as though he may be looking for an exit strategy at London and he is a boyhood Lions fan.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#4 Gandalf1

Gandalf1
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Pathetic is the only word to describe the communications from the club. Even should it survive does it really deserve to ? 

#5 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

Pathetic is the only word to describe the communications from the club. Even should it survive does it really deserve to ?

Of course it deserves to survive! The historically great and currently under duress Swinton Lions Club has shown that it's longevity is greater that any of its various owners over the years.

This is not the first and it won't be the last crisis in the club's history.

Don't confuse the survival of the Club with the survival of the ownership.
Posted Image

#6 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

...and he is a boyhood Lions fan.

And so too was JK (plus me and few thousand others)

#7 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

And so too was JK (plus me and few thousand others)

Me too!
Posted Image

#8 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

If Swinton RLFC is taken over soon by whoever,then the new owner(s)MUST in my opinion be open and honest about their plans and intentions for Swinton RLFC.That in my personal opinion is the ONLY way to keep the existing fans who go to the games on side and get fans who used to go back into the fold once again.If this does not happen,then Swinton RLFC WILL die,that is the frank and blunt truth.And no one be it Swinton fans or indeed fans of any other RL club want to see that happen.

#9 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

The trust are still talking to the council, The Rugby League, Supporters Direct and The Club just in case the Trust have to take control of the club and at the moment the trust cannot out lay the plans and intentions until all the negotiations are over.  It maybe that one of the clubs interested parties complete their take over plans first but the Trust are on standby to take control.  It may seem nothing is happening but I can assure you that there are lots of negotiations taking place behind the scenes .

#10 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

The trust are still talking to the council, The Rugby League, Supporters Direct and The Club just in case the Trust have to take control of the club and at the moment the trust cannot out lay the plans and intentions until all the negotiations are over.  It maybe that one of the clubs interested parties complete their take over plans first but the Trust are on standby to take control.  It may seem nothing is happening but I can assure you that there are lots of negotiations taking place behind the scenes .

Thank you for coming on and for your statement.I have read what you have said and OK even though I have not been for some time to the matches I for one fully back what you say and agree with you entirely.I will at some stage soon look at becoming a member of the trust,when cash flow is hopefully better and I would be looking to pay in cash by the way as I don't have a cheque book(old fashioned things that should be scrapped)so some details would be appreciated where to pay etc.I think that if the club is taken over then the trust in my opinion should INSIST on being recognised legally as some sort of co owner and a representative should be given a place on the board of directors.I would also suggest perhaps that if the trust isn't at the moment registered at Companies House as a limited company,it may be an idea to ensure this is done.I might like to suggest that the representatives of the trust seek some initial legal advice as well,there are no doubt solicitors in the Manchester area who would offer a free initial consultation.Whatever happens I wish you luck.

#11 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thank you for coming on and for your statement.I have read what you have said and OK even though I have not been for some time to the matches I for one fully back what you say and agree with you entirely.I will at some stage soon look at becoming a member of the trust,when cash flow is hopefully better and I would be looking to pay in cash by the way as I don't have a cheque book(old fashioned things that should be scrapped)so some details would be appreciated where to pay etc.I think that if the club is taken over then the trust in my opinion should INSIST on being recognised legally as some sort of co owner and a representative should be given a place on the board of directors.I would also suggest perhaps that if the trust isn't at the moment registered at Companies House as a limited company,it may be an idea to ensure this is done.I might like to suggest that the representatives of the trust seek some initial legal advice as well,there are no doubt solicitors in the Manchester area who would offer a free initial consultation.Whatever happens I wish you luck.

As Riggy has said all the necessary questions are being asked. When the time is right and in fairness something concrete is known then the first port of call has to be an full open meeting with the fans because by god are we all going to have to work together.

#12 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

As Riggy has said all the necessary questions are being asked. When the time is right and in fairness something concrete is known then the first port of call has to be an full open meeting with the fans because by god are we all going to have to work together.

Fair comment,and good to see that you are both giving some honest and fair answers.

#13 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

No doubt people are working hard to sort this out. However, all this could have been avoided if the Trust had fought to regain the shares it lost in the last restructure. They were stiffed out of what was rightfully theirs and did nothing about it.

I am not having a go at individuals, or the trust, as they do valuable work. But I think that, for the sake of the club, they need to be more aggressive.

Posted Image

#14 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

...they need to be more aggressive.

Bash!, Wallop! Biff n' bang, Grrrrrrr!

Will that do for a start?

Edited by Blue Monkey, 08 December 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#15 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

If someone from the trust could contact me we could perhaps get the ball rolling.

Posted Image

#16 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

If someone from the trust could contact me we could perhaps get the ball rolling.

you have me as a contact Barnie.

#17 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

The biggest advantage of joining or rejoining the Trust is that it not only enables you to hear what is going on, it allows you to have a say. If there is an issue with the way the Trust is run - and I don't believe there is - then at least you have a democratic process and accountability to make your voice heard. By not being a member you're not taking advantage of that.

I'd urge fans to sign up. If the worst comes to the worst and the Trust feels that it has to take over, at least you're maximising the size of the war-chest. If there is a new "owner", at least you're maximising the collective power of the fanbase and the influence that it can have, especially if the club is perceived as Salford "A".

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#18 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Great post Jonty.

#19 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Any names in the hat for the coaching job?

#20 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:02 AM

Ian Watson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users