Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

serbian players coming over to england

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

I'd agree. The other code has perhaps, with the exception of Romania, neglected that part of the world unless RL has started first if I'm not mistaken?

Seems so, but on the flipside there has been a notable influx of Georgians playing professional rugby in France, and it's been a massive boost to Georgia as a national team (look at their performances in the last World Cup)

If I ran a rugby league club I'd certainly be looking over to Georgia. While the sport might not have the grass roots presence it does in the likes of Serbia, you'd fancy the standards of rugby union, and the country's history with "Lelo Burti", would breed some athletes with potential. 

Interestingly, some of the better Georgians - and I guess it would be true for many other lower tier European rugby nations players - are basketball converts, ie. Mamuka Gorgodze.

It would be nice if there were some sort of incentive for pro teams to bring on players from developing European nations, it would certainly help the sport as a whole, but legal and financial issues probably get in the way.

#42 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

Seems so, but on the flipside there has been a notable influx of Georgians playing professional rugby in France, and it's been a massive boost to Georgia as a national team (look at their performances in the last World Cup)

If I ran a rugby league club I'd certainly be looking over to Georgia. While the sport might not have the grass roots presence it does in the likes of Serbia, you'd fancy the standards of rugby union, and the country's history with "Lelo Burti", would breed some athletes with potential. 

Interestingly, some of the better Georgians - and I guess it would be true for many other lower tier European rugby nations players - are basketball converts, ie. Mamuka Gorgodze.

It would be nice if there were some sort of incentive for pro teams to bring on players from developing European nations, it would certainly help the sport as a whole, but legal and financial issues probably get in the way.

Bridges would require rebuilt before we got Georgia playing league again I suspect - they were thrown out of qualifying for the 2000(?) WC when most of the squad elected to play a RU match instead of the scheduled RL international, and I'm not aware of anything happening since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users