TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

wtf....league v union

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
172 replies to this topic

#21 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 682 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

Too bizarre to be true.

#22 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

Weird, how are they expecting to raise $20m, there just isn't the interest in hybrid/cross code games. All seems a bit desperate from both sides

#23 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

A hybrid game sounds great to me. Take the best part of Rugby League (all of it) and the best part of Union (the sponsors, money,marketing teams) and it should be a belting game.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#24 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

Likewise. "played under NRL rules" sounds fishy to me even allowing for the Aussie insularity.

Yes I noticed that .Are the aussies now calling RL NRL like the Americans game is NFL?

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#25 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

I've just seen the article on the main Courier Mail site and it is penned by "friend" to the RLWC Phil Rothfield. There would be little interest for it here. RL fans would see the Wallabies as sub-standard compared with the Kangaroos anyway. I would have no interest in seeing the fixture and would actively avoid it. All I care about is international RL.

http://www.courierma...r-1226777891743

#26 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,153 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'm making the decision to leave this on this forum for now.  One bit of anti-union abuse though and it gets moved.  Play nicely please.

On the subject itself.  The funding may be there already if the likes of BT are paying, they're throwing around money at the minute to cover next year's schedules as they won't really have a full schedule until 2015.  £11m for a single game isn't really all that much if they can fill Wembley, also £25-£30k for a single game for each player is enough to guarantee availability for anyone not contractually bound, such as the English NRL players.

The BT scenario is the only one I can think of for why this is even being considered, otherwise there's just no money for doing it.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#27 Lionheart_merged

Lionheart_merged
  • Coach
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Big fan of international rugby league and been fortunate to watch GB and England all around UK and in Oz and New Zealand.  I had hoped that the World Cup would lead to more meaningful international competition not joke games for financial gain.  Wouldn't watch this if it was in my back garden.

#28 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

This is such a bad idea that I'd prefer to watch a GB/England v "the exiles" match than this rubbish.

#29 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Never mind the NRL releasing players, IF this is true I can't see superleague clubs wanting to release players for a game on 6th December when they are in intensive off season training.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#30 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,153 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Never mind the NRL releasing players, IF this is true I can't see superleague clubs wanting to release players for a game on 6th December when they are in intensive off season training.

Isn't December traditionally an "off" month for players with recalls starting after New Year?  I remember reading something about rugby players needing and getting a 6 week period off between seasons to fully recover in time for the new season.  I can imagine coaches will be slightly more than unhappy about that recuperation time being broken.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#31 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Isn't December traditionally an "off" month for players with recalls starting after New Year?  I remember reading something about rugby players needing and getting a 6 week period off between seasons to fully recover in time for the new season.  I can imagine coaches will be slightly more than unhappy about that recuperation time being broken.

Saints are still in pre season training and we're now into December.  I can't speak for other clubs obviously.  I think Saints players get about three weeks off over Christmas.  They had about a month off after the season ended.

Edited by Saintslass, 07 December 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#32 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

My understanding is that clubs will start pre-season training in November, with those who have played internationals returning later.

According to our local paper Whitehaven have already started pre-season so I would have expected superleague clubs to have done so. Many clubs play friendlies over Christmas/New Year so and the season starts in February so December is unlikely to be an off month for most players. Either way I can't see any of the clubs being enthusiastic about this if (big if) this is true

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#33 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

This is a joke, right? Please someone tell me this is a joke! :-(
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#34 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

This has to be a joke. Awful, awful idea if true.

#35 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

If this is true and I hope we've got something better than this, then I think the clubs will snap this up. The media interest in the game would be huge. It would attract a load of people who don't normally see rugby league and if it gives the players a load of cash and several million for the RFL to distribute, why would the players or clubs object?

I expect it is a load of tosh though!

#36 B rad

B rad
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

If it does bring a lot of money to our game, I don't mind. Our game needs money. Happy for it to happen if does generate a decent amount. Might give us some more media coverage as well which is also a positive especially if the league guys smash them.

#37 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'm going against the general trend and saying "bring it on!!!".

But it won't happen, and I'm sure it's a mammoth wind-up.

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

My understanding is that clubs will start pre-season training in November, with those who have played internationals returning later.

According to our local paper Whitehaven have already started pre-season so I would have expected superleague clubs to have done so. Many clubs play friendlies over Christmas/New Year so and the season starts in February so December is unlikely to be an off month for most players. Either way I can't see any of the clubs being enthusiastic about this if (big if) this is true

Presumably the earliest pre-season training doesn't involve full-on matches though?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

At first I thought it was nonsense, but do you know what, if it is on offer, we would be stupid to turn it down. If there is an organiser that is promising millions of pounds to the RFL then why wouldn't they take it?

It is basically a big publicity stunt at a time when publicity is hard to come by.

As long as this isn't at the expense of any proper internationals, which nothing suggests it is, then where is the issue?

#40 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

Whether it happens or not it certainly is on the cards and isn't a journalist made up story.   I was speaking to Bob Dwyer and the other gentlemen, bumping into them at a hotel in London during Wembley week-end.  Bob was very nice chatting at the bar and he was not shy in saying why he happened to be in London.   Although at the time the Emirates stadium was mentioned he did say a hybrid game.  Now he may have been telling porky pies at the time but he certainly seemed serious.   I only started talking to them because of Aussie accents assuming over for the game at Wembley, which they where attending too because I bumped into them again at the stadium.  Only as got into conversation and they introduced themselves I realized whom they where.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users