TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

wtf....league v union

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
172 replies to this topic

#41 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

the issue is our forwards will look stupid in set scrums and the union side will get around 20 or so kickable penalties in the first half putting them out of sight by half time .

by all means play them but at rugby league  which is a much better game to watch

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#42 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

I think this makes sense. When people see what our boys do to theirs in the league, it'll be wonderful publicity for our game. What makes me doubt it is the suggestion that any hotel ear Holborn is swish. On that basis, I suspect the rest of this is nonsense.

#43 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

they will fill the league part of the game with league signings  from the nrl 

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#44 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,602 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Crosscode was done back in 1996. It had novelty value.

Now, what a totally c rap waste of time.

#45 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

I don't get the negativity around this? It will increase our profile in the media, give the game £3m quid or £200k to each club and give our top players an extra £30k in their back pocket.

So what if it is a gimmick, so was the half footy and half union in France, but that was received brilliantly.

Is RL in the UK so snobby that we look down our noses at what football and union are doing?

#46 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

Whether it happens or not it certainly is on the cards and isn't a journalist made up story.   I was speaking to Bob Dwyer and the other gentlemen, bumping into them at a hotel in London during Wembley week-end.  Bob was very nice chatting at the bar and he was not shy in saying why he happened to be in London.   Although at the time the Emirates stadium was mentioned he did say a hybrid game.  Now he may have been telling porky pies at the time but he certainly seemed serious.   I only started talking to them because of Aussie accents assuming over for the game at Wembley, which they where attending too because I bumped into them again at the stadium.  Only as got into conversation and they introduced themselves I realized whom they where.   

Bob Dwyer has been pushing for a hybrid game this last two years, he as peddled his idea up hill and down dale.

#47 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

The success of the World Cup will be lost if this game goes ahead, meanigful International Rugby League is what is required not some Mickey Mouse idea.

#48 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

Bob Dwyer has been pushing for a hybrid game this last two years, he as peddled his idea up hill and down dale.

Yeah, isn't this the game where you play RL in your own half of the field, and then play under Union rules when you cross the half way line (or something like that)? Strange idea, which sounds as daft as the rather odd AFL/GAA matches that take place. Still, if someone's willing to throw a few million at it, someones bound to bite eventually.

#49 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

The success of the World Cup will be lost if this game goes ahead, meanigful International Rugby League is what is required not some Mickey Mouse idea.

I agree totally.  I'm bemused this is even being mooted after such a wonderful world cup. 

Honestly, this sport's governing body just amazes me sometimes, and not in a pleasant way.

#50 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

League in your half Union in the other? Is this so the Union team can score some points? And if you are in their half do they get to play League when you are having to play Union?

#51 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

In reality does anyone want to see this? The wallabies are leaking cash and cant generate NRL sized money down under and the RFL needs money to keep clubs afloat. The All Blacks against the Kangaroos anyone? How about the Washington Redskins v Melbourne Storm?

#52 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

In reality does anyone want to see this? The All Blacks against the Kangaroos anyone? How about the Washington Redskins v Melbourne Storm?

Yes.

Yes.

Maybe.

#53 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Its a bit silly - GB would look poor on the line out and scrum and the Wallabies would look silly trying to stop Jammer and Sam, and probably even Rob Burrow. Penalties everywhere as the players try to keep to the rules and fail. Grinding mauls and penalty fests to stop the league boys wearing the union boys out too early, been done before, wasn't good telly, wasn't a good event, I recall reading about this type of hybrid and its a waste of a good off season

Last time a one half each game was played it was Sale and Saints, Sale walked it in Union using a maul tactic and Saints blew them away second half - pointless - different games now and should be treated as such - a hybrid does nothing for anyone

#54 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Its a bit silly - GB would look poor on the line out and scrum 

You've never seen the Wallabies scrummage I think GB might have the edge here.

#55 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

Well I hope he fails again...

#56 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

We'll all watch, and our hearts will be in our mouths. Don't deny it.

#57 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

Think it's a joke but I have always wondered why England union v league didn't happen. If league won it would work wonders in shutting up the haters plus earn a huge payday. The gamble would be that if they lost badly the credibility of league would be destroyed. RFL may need the cash to save/run the London club. Maybe it could happen

#58 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

I'm sorry but this is a terrible idea and one that makes no sense for us.

It's a no-win situation for us. If we win then it is was pointless exercise that proves nothing, if we lose then it is proof that Union has surpassed us and is now the code with the superior skills.

When these happened in the mid 90's it was a novelty and one that made us feel good about ourselves because we were far superior at the core rugby skills, largely because we were full-time and they weren't. Even though we like to think we are still far superior, this is not necessarily the case.

The Sale-Saints game was a wake up call that we shouldn't be doing these anymore. It is now weighted in the Union side's favour. Sale easily won their half because they were able to use the aspects of their game that they are naturally dominant in like mauling, ruckling, lineouts etc. However, Saints struggled for a while against Sale because Sale were now a full-time outfit that spent a lot of time passing, tackling and running. It was only a flurry of late tries that spared Saints' blushes. IIRC it was something like 41-12 with about 20 minutes left. All it would have taken was an off-day with the ball in hand and Saints would have been embarrassed. I suspect England RL could easily be embarrassed by a Wallabies side that are fast, able to tackle and pass whilst England RL have no ability to scrum, line-out, ruck or maul.

I'd still be against it, but England vs England or Wallabies vs Kangaroos would at least have made sense. Instead we have the 3rd best RL nation against the 3rd best RU nation.

#59 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

If any of this is true then Woods should be run out of town.

I can't believe that the best we can come up with following the World Cup to bring in some cash on the back of it, is this.

Woods, if this is true, is showing himself to be a real ideas man, unfortunately its no ideas.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#60 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,463 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

If any of this is true then Woods should be run out of town.

I can't believe that the best we can come up with following the World Cup to bring in some cash on the back of it, is this.

Woods, if this is true, is showing himself to be a real ideas man, unfortunately its no ideas.

It shows he's a gimmick-obsessed showman.

Got a problem with the league but can't be bothered with sorting out the root problems: 3x8!

Have an international set-up that's going to take some thinking about how to build effectively: forget it, cross-code against the Wallabies!

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users