wtf....league v union

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
172 replies to this topic

#161 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

Indifferent? RU is always banging on about RL. Jeremy and co can't write an article without reference to it.
Is there any law against stalking a sport? :)

Well, there is a thread on this on Planet Rugby which has 6 post, 2 of which are from League Fans. So yes, indifference is about right

#162 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

What makes you so sure? The RFU gates will still makes million even when teams like Fiji, Samoa, and Tongan visit Twickers. The ARU are in a better state than they were 30 years ago and will never wither or die due to union international presents. I remember some on here saying the same thing about Welsh rugby union and their stadium debts a few years ago.  

I'm no expert but I think what people mean is when you compare the situation in Australia, to the situation in New Zealand and South Africa, it is looking quite unpleasant.

I think the ARU realise that they are struggling to compete with the two powerhouses, and having a resurgent NRL that could potentially be knocking on the door for players is certainly not going to help that.

If the Wallabies went down a step (say Ireland/Scotland/Wales level) would they still be able to compete for the $ of a sport-indulged Aussie public?

#163 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

What makes you so sure? The RFU gates will still makes million even when teams like Fiji, Samoa, and Tongan visit Twickers. The ARU are in a better state than they were 30 years ago and will never wither or die due to union international presents. I remember some on here saying the same thing about Welsh rugby union and their stadium debts a few years ago.  

I think you may have come to the wrong forum... this is a rugby league forum and we're not that tolerant of union posts on this main forum.

As you're quite new, I'll leave it as a public note to you but please, in future, keep union posts off our forums.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#164 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

Don't be silly. RU is a game, no more, no less. This constant RL chip on shoulder, they're all out to get us makes RL look silly.

Its a bit like the Scotland - England rivalry, its only in the mind of the Scots, the English don't really care.

RL hates RU, RU is indifferent. Nothing worse then hating someone who isn't too fussed

I'm not sure we do. Certainly some RL folk do but all of us?

#165 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

I think you may have come to the wrong forum... this is a rugby league forum and we're not that tolerant of union posts on this main forum.

As you're quite new, I'll leave it as a public note to you but please, in future, keep union posts off our forums.

so you hide the RL-RU crosscode forum and then you're wondering why people make posts about RU here?

Edited by dude02, 10 December 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#166 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

so you hide the RL-RU crosscode forum and then you're wondering why people make posts about RU here?

Much like the adult stores that sell their wares in brown paper bags, we like to keep our embarrassing stuff hidden away.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#167 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Much like the adult stores that sell their wares in brown paper bags, we like to keep our embarrassing stuff hidden away.

Fair enough. I imagine discussions turn into s**tfights and that's the reason you have a "vetting" system in place for access to that forum. 

#168 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

Well, there is a thread on this on Planet Rugby which has 6 post, 2 of which are from League Fans. So yes, indifference is about right

I never go on any union forums to find out - that's indifference. You are on a RL forum telling us how you aren't bothered, not quite as indifferent.
Oh and hate is way over the top, I doubt anyone seriously does.

Edited by Johnoco, 10 December 2013 - 09:45 PM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#169 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

I like league, I enjoyed the World Cup. I enjoy a lot of the league/union banter. I agree, hate is a strong word and probably used wrongly in this context (similar to the Welsh 'hate' of the English)
But there does seem to be a bit of a sense on these forums that league is competing with Union to be the best code, which I don't sense from most union forums.

(I know this shouldn't belong here, but I don't qualify for the cross code forum)

#170 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Don't be silly. RU is a game, no more, no less. This constant RL chip on shoulder, they're all out to get us makes RL look silly.

Its a bit like the Scotland - England rivalry, its only in the mind of the Scots, the English don't really care.

RL hates RU, RU is indifferent. Nothing worse then hating someone who isn't too fussed

If the history of what RU has done to RL is indifference, I would hate to think what they would have done if they rally didn't like us.

#171 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:52 PM

That sums it up perfectly. In 1908, the RU authorities did everything in their power to destroy RL but it backfired on them and they almost ceased to exist. We should let them wither now even if they won't die. If they are not competitive it will ultimately hurt the RFU's finances over here through falling gates for fixtures against  Australia and will fin ally get it through to the larger world which Rugby code is the dominant one in Australia. RL owes RU nothing but payback. We should not help that game in any way.

But at the moment it seems the real and original A-holes of the union game are the RFU as theyare fighting again amongst there UK/French etc clubs about money ???.

Horrible hyocrites.

#172 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

You have to remember that up until 95 RU was run by dinosaurs who thought that the only pure form of sport was amateur. It was less that they hated RL, more that they hated professionalism. RL was, in their eyes, professional rugby.

They were idiots

#173 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

aaaaand locked.  Come on people, if we're asking you nicely to keep on topic then please do so.

If there's any news on the original subject then start a new thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users