Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The miseducation of certain sports fans.

Or are we too quiet?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Having a chat with a fella in work about the Wales vs Australia Union game last weekend. Mentioned how talented Israel Folau is and how he had played 3 pro sports. What's the third he asks?

I replied Aussie Rules.

He says yeah I got that one... NFL or something was it?

Nope I gently reply, Rugby League.

Oh, really. Did he play in big games? he says with surprise

#2 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:44 AM

Sounds like you were being wound up mate!

#3 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:10 AM

Ask your Welsh mate, how successful have Wales RU been post 1995 compared to the so called RL pillaging years prior? Then he'll get that Wales RU have always sucked and RL was a convenient excuse :)

#4 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

Ask your Welsh mate, how successful have Wales RU been post 1995 compared to the so called RL pillaging years prior? Then he'll get that Wales RU have always sucked and RL was a convenient excuse

Wales made the last RWC's semi and lost it by one point

#5 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:24 AM

Ask your Welsh mate, how successful have Wales RU been post 1995 compared to the so called RL pillaging years prior? Then he'll get that Wales RU have always sucked and RL was a convenient excuse :)

Depends whether you are taking about club rugby or the international side. As an uninterested observer from afar, Wales RU seem to be a more than decent side on the international stage.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#6 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Always shout for them when playing England

#7 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:48 AM

Sounds like you were being wound up mate!

Yeah. I mean its mentioned in just about every Folau related article that he's a League convert. 

#8 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

I'm guessing you haven't heard of the famous Welsh sides of the 70's and have beaten the All blacks post 1995. They are a decent lot in international union now days.

Edited by Aucks Warriors, 10 December 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#9 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm guessing you haven't heard of the famous Welsh sides of the 70's and have beaten the All blacks post 1995. They are a decent lot in international union now days.

I think this thread is on its way to the other board. Wales haven't beaten the All Blacks since 1953 IIRC

#10 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Having a chat with a fella in work about the Wales vs Australia Union game last weekend. Mentioned how talented Israel Folau is and how he had played 3 pro sports. What's the third he asks?

I replied Aussie Rules.

He says yeah I got that one... NFL or something was it?

Nope I gently reply, Rugby League.

Oh, really. Did he play in big games? he says with surprise

That sound about right, ask some people from Melbourne about a wallaby player and they think NRL.

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,957 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

They've won a couple of grand slams in the last few years. England haven't.

#12 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

That sound about right, ask some people from Melbourne about a wallaby player and they think NRL.

Victorians, or most of the sports loving ones know the difference between the two, they do it to &%%$ us Northerners off. (see, we get the northern tag in Aus too)

It's a myth, and some seem to like these myths continuing for some strange reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users