Havens new signings?

doing well so far?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 876 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

Like the look of havens new signings so far,seems like they have signed another top PNG player for their second row and would imagine he will be along side Mitchell who played for Warrington.I always liked the look of Ainscough when he played for Wigan and if he can get some of that form he showed for them he will be another good signing,the young lads from the Amateur scene look to be good signings also,the lad Burns could go into the loose/forward position and from what I have seen of him on a few occasions he will turn out ok,I think on the town side we have signed a couple of good young lads who have all played for Barla and in Lucock I know he will be a cracking good player to follow Mattinson for the hooking role, and young Deurden I think will go into the loose/forward position but could drop into the Centre position to,I Know we are a few signings behind the haven side but hopefully we will add a few players especially a couple of Forwards and a couple of Utility backs of a high standard very soon(sooner I hope).Looks like our friend Jake Emmett has popped up on the Barrow site has a possible signing but hopefully he will come to town from Salford, and a couple of his mates has well.It's good to see the lads being put through the hill of death down on the Shoreside,but you would never have gotten me to go up and down that slope but the lads are looking fit and my old mate Abu will be cheering them on haha.Overall I would love to see a couple of new lads before xmas has that is one of my santa wishes and santa doe's not like to let his customers down doe's he?,my message to the board his have a merry xmas and a Happy New Year and bring in the players that will keep us in the top six for next season.  

• db likes this
Posted Image

#2 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

Haven have signed some good players and I'm sure we will before the new season too looking forward to seeing the young amateur lads

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

There's a number of clubs that have been recruiting well including Crusaders who have just added Steve Wild from Huddersfield to their squad that includes the USA World Cup player Offerdahl.

This is going to be one tough league this season as everyone wants to be in the top 9.

• db likes this

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

No doubt a few could go bust

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Is that right ? Steven Wild. Wow thought he was Salfords best player couple of years back . Great signing . This is the bar that's being set . Standing still means going backwards ... Youth and experience needed

#6 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

Wild captained salford in 2013

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

I always thought Crusaders would be the bolter . They always seem to have a few quid. ... Why do I keep thinking of Duggan and Van Dijk and Josh Hannay etc. ....

#8 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

Makes it easy when geography doesn't come into play and these teams can pick up players of that calibre, any signings would do at the moment for me / or word on duel reg ? The word is not to panick ... When do we start panicking ?

#9 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

Mid January I would say

#10 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

When's the haven game ?

#11 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

According to today's RL Express, Charlo reckons we need another 3 or 4 players and "usually" January is a good month to pick players up.   That doesn't sound like a very scientific way of strengthening the squad as "usually" also infers that sometimes it isn't a good month as well.

I thought we might have been tempted towards players from the Pacific Island teams in the World Cup as Haven and Sheffield and Rochdale seem to have been but it seems not.    Oh, well, back in to hibernation for another couple of months!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#12 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

My antennae picked up at that quote as well Keith . It sounds a bit of a last man to blink gamble . Who's gonna be left then , and how do we gel these potential players in literally days to the season starts , especially if they're in a key spot?

Edited by DavidM, 09 December 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#13 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

Same old, same old, ######.Why is it that other teams seem to be able to get players on board and good old Workington town will get them in January because that's when they become available?.After the successful World Cup we have been told season tickets have gone up due to the World cup we at Workington town cannot sign any players until January,no doubt we will have the pick of the rubbish that is left in January and the remnants of the Widnes lads that  Terry betts has no use for,i think it's about time the people who are involved in picking players for the squad realise that we need to finish in the top eight next season or we are back into div1 and then god know's what will happen.I know I am making it sound like the end of the world but to the Workington town fans it seems like the end of the world when all we see is our opponents signing up players and then we are told January is the best time to sign them,good luck lads,i hope you get what you want, but I doubt it,same, same old,season after season,we are always the last in the queue,and before all you lot say we done ok last season,we did,but why oh why can't we go one better and get the players in like other sides do,but,I am like a few more, just a moaning town fan who has been supporting them for nearly 55 years and would like to see some players coming in to give the New and Old fans a bit of a lift bu,t has of now it's sweet ###### all,maybe the men from Mars might know more than we do. :shout: :sclerosis: :help:

Posted Image

#14 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

It's worked in the past so why shouldn't it work again? Does anyone think we'd have fared any better last season if we'd got players in any earlier? It would be nice but Whitehaven ended up having to let players go last season to avoid another catastrophe do we really want to put ourselves in that situation?

#15 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

I think a lot of peoples worries are that the lads weve brought in are nearly all risks. Some amateurs take to the pro game like ducks to water, others just sink. A few proven players at this level or above would make most people relax a bit. And didnt we have the likes of dowes, acton and callum(our 3 big signings) signed on by this time last year?
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#16 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

I do not think we will be going down that line of letting players go Geordie townie,i would be more bothered about getting players in through the door first.I agree that it did not make much difference to the position we finished in but, what I am saying, would it not have been nice to see players coming in before January like 90% of other clubs have done rather than waiting until January when I would presume most of the top players available would have been snapped up,Keith T also put on his post about overseas players being available,could we not have picked up some of them people(the club might have gone down that line?)for Workington town,haven,Rochdale,Halifax and a few more have been able to procure some of them lads so is there a reason why we did not go there.I agree we have a good looking squad at the minute but we have signed only three amateurs with two being barla tourists and by having seen young lucock we have got ourselves a good one there,but big Rowlandson is a union player not a league player,but i have to give him a chance to show what he can do,but if you listen to players who he has played for in the league he has a lot to do.I agree also with wonkey that we did have big dowes and acto signed on before xmas and callum was the third,but I have had my so called rant and would like to end on by wishing the board and its directors all the best for the new year nd hope you are successful in your quest to bring in the right calibre of players to do the club proud,i would also like to wish all the town fans a mery xmas and a happy new year and hope to hear some good things(before xmas?) in the new year to cheer us all up. ;) ;) ;) 

Posted Image

#17 anok4u

anok4u
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

It's very risky way of doing business the law of averages says eventually it's not going to work..however I heard we had signed at least 2 from a world cup team but we will see...
go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

#18 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

It's worked in the past so why shouldn't it work again ... That's the attitude that worries people . You can't take things for granted or presume things are going to go swimmingly or as before . Or that previous strength will attain previous positions and results ...Other teams have a big say in that , this league isn't standing still . To me we're still crying out for a strike centre , as all of what we have are much of a muchness , and a half with a good pedigree to slot straight in , which gives Peter the freedom if required to play his natural third pivot role at 13 and gives depth and strength under him and Callum as players of good quality at this level . We must be looking to shift focus this year from muscle and plan A , to a more flexible and expansive game , with behind the scrum just as involved and potent as our pack . Other teams have us sussed , so we need the players to allow us to evolve . And in passing this gives us all better stuff to watch

#19 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

Agreed but even some of the so called experienced dead certs didn't perform for most of the season. Thackray and Dowes took a bit of stick in this very forum for their performances so there's no guarantee a few big names will have an impact just like there's no guarantees amateurs will.

#20 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

I agree with all you say GD,thacks and dowes were a bit of disappointment last year especially ewan dowes.I thought we had made a good signing in ewan but he never really got going apart from a couple of games,on the other hand Jamie thacks played when he wanted to,but in the last 3 games he played like a 20 year old and he scored 3 away at batley,but I think he was playing for another contract or so he thought?and on the amateurs callum stood out and it was great to see big rooney back on board especially when ever he played against jesse joe parker who did not want to know him,but saying that,i would like JJP in anyside at derwent park.I have heard about the so called crack about town supposedly having signed two lads from the world cup,well to be honest if they are the two I have heard,no thanks,or,maybe sostak(spelling ######)but the other who is supposed to be a winger no thankyou very much.Iwas hoping for lads like Emmett,walne either one or two and maybe a couple of super league forwards from widnes but I live in hope. :(  :no: :no: :sarcastic: 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users