Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Havens new signings?

doing well so far?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

It puzzles me why January?   It's not as if there is a transfer window as in soccer.   Is it that some players don't want the hassle of pre-season before the New Year before they sign or what?

What bothers me is that we have the large majority of our squad knocking their pans in doing pre-season and then we have to fit in others just a month before the season starts.   We keep getting told that all our players need a good pre-season behind them to get through the season and you only have to look at the difference it made with peter Lupton last year.    The year before he was out injured and missed quite a big lump of the pre-season but last year he was like a new player.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#22 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hit the panic button why don't you all!!
In an ideal world it would be nice to have the squad sorted but maybe the players we are talking to are hanging on for Superleague clubs to make their mind up.
It doesn't follow for me that all the best players are signed up early on. Surely the ones that are out on their ears know where they stand but for the rest who are waiting to see if they are in or out of the squads maybe January is the best time to pick them up. Stephen Wild has only just signed for a champ club hasn't he? There will be more than him waiting to see what they can get before they commit.
Calm down folks, it could be worth the wait.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#23 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

My antennae picked up at that quote as well Keith . It sounds a bit of a last man to blink gamble . Who's gonna be left then , and how do we gel these potential players in literally days to the season starts , especially if they're in a key spot?

I said this 10 days ago and got slated to feck

#24 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

It puzzles me why January?   It's not as if there is a transfer window as in soccer.   Is it that some players don't want the hassle of pre-season before the New Year before they sign or what?

What bothers me is that we have the large majority of our squad knocking their pans in doing pre-season and then we have to fit in others just a month before the season starts.   We keep getting told that all our players need a good pre-season behind them to get through the season and you only have to look at the difference it made with peter Lupton last year.    The year before he was out injured and missed quite a big lump of the pre-season but last year he was like a new player.

I also said this and got slated to feck

#25 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

Well I said everyone is entitled to their reasoned opinions ... And it slightly grates me that any comment putting a spotlight on recruitment is always seen as hysterical panic ! It's not. , it's just debate , and a debate that will be going on at every club no doubt . We have a slow and steady approach in preseason , and whatever's happened before it's not guaranteed it's all smoothly gonna fall into place ( however likely it will ) .Couple that with the significance of this season , and particularly in a good start , and it's a valid debate

Edited by DavidM, 09 December 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#26 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

I must have been looking at the wrong post HAVEN10 was,ent it you that said there would,ent be enough for 2 five a side at training?????

#27 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

Well I said everyone is entitled to their reasoned opinions ... And it slightly grates me that any comment putting a spotlight on recruitment is always seen as hysterical panic ! It's not. , it's just debate , and a debate that will be going on at every club no doubt . We have a slow and steady approach in preseason , and whatever's happened before it's not guaranteed it's all smoothly gonna fall into place ( however likely it will ) .Couple that with the significance of this season , and particularly in a good start , and it's a valid debate

Of course it's debate and it's my opinion that it isn't time (just yet) to start getting overly concerned. If I grate you David then so be it, because I am also entitled to my opinion and I think it's quite ironic that because my opinion is different to yours I grate you when you are calling for debate. Will I now be singled out as a Jambo for not jumping on the recruitment (panic) bandwagon?  ;)

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#28 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Why are people on this forum preoccupied with haven signings? I am only bothered about who will play in a Worky shirt. Is it too much to hope that we can add several experienced players to the squad. Potentially the spine of the team is in place, but has already mentioned the team needs strengthening in the centres and forwards. Come on BOD, give us spectators some idea what your plans are for the coming season regarding team strengthening.

#29 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Of course you don't grate me personally , I'd have thought you'd know that . It was a general rebuttal to a remark that's often wheeled out if a critical point is made on recruitment . Debate is good , that's the point , but it's not panic induced if expressing concerns in the debate , that's an inaccurate easy throwaway , just as it isnt blind cheerleading on the other side ! Ultimately we all want to get to the same place , however the route.

Edited by DavidM, 09 December 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#30 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Of course you don't grate me personally , I'd have thought you'd know that . It was a general rebuttal to a remark that's often wheeled out if a critical point is made on recruitment . Debate is good , that's the point , it's not panic induced on one side or blind cheerleading on the other !!

Aw thanks pal, you are the only person that's ever said that to me!  :tongue:

#31 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

I must have been looking at the wrong post HAVEN10 was,ent it you that said there would,ent be enough for 2 five a side at training?????

Ha ha you go back to watching training lol

If you don't agree with anything the famous FIVE say on her your banished to the wreck

#32 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm welling up here . Wish someone would say it to me . Usually the opposite .

#33 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Yes this is a tough league and whatever concerns we may express , looking at the squad numbers in the paper of Rochdale and Barra I'd say they had more .

Edited by DavidM, 09 December 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#34 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

I agree with whoever said about another centre I really think we could do with a try scoring one haven't had one for a while. If we can announce 1 or 2 before the haven game on the 12th then we should be looking at another 2 or so after that. Are we organising anymore friendlies maybe with widnes and someone else

#35 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

Who cares who haven have signed. There last PNG signing was a disaster at first.

#36 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

I also said this and got slated to feck

That's because you're a haven fan!! . . Aren't you? Hahaha!

#37 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 817 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

Town blue,town for me,i was the one who brought up the signings that Whitehaven are making and I a quite entitled to do that.If you do not like to hear about our neighbours don't read my post,oh,sorry you already have done.I am interested in the signings that our friends at barrow make also,it's called rugby league in Cumbria,but I agree it's town's signings that I am truly interested in but I am like a few more just waiting until January to find out who they are,to cut the silliness out that I am currently displaying I am eager for MY!!!!! club to bring in quality signings now not in January,of course I know it is not has simple has that,but other clubs other than haven and barrow are signing quality players and I am wondering why we has a championship club cannot do the same,but anyway,enough is enough,sorry if I have upset anyone with my bereation of the club,it was not intended to do that,my appologies to the board and to fans that did not like what I was saying,it's just my opinion and we all have them,i will be waiting with you all to see what comes through the doors in JANUARY.bye.......... :( :( :( :santa:

Posted Image

#38 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

Havenfan10 has a point. He was lambasted on here for his comments but his beloved Haven sign a few and there's widespread panic

#39 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Why are people on this forum preoccupied with haven signings? 

Fair point!  They as ever are mainly getting in players from afar PNG, travellers,

while we have so far concentrated on getting a good local squad. Will there be a

good spirit in their squad? How long will it take them to gel? 

So from last year have we lost following?

Acton, Dowes, Thacks, Calderwood, Robinson, A.Walne

While have signed

Rowlandson 

Lucock

Duerden

L. Mcavoy

Haney

While Rooney is like having a new signing having had so long out, and with a

full pre season ahead, hopefully be back to the levels before injury.

Yes could do with a few more, but its hardly panic stations just yet.  Getting

two or three season long loans from Widnes would be helpful, such as Hulme

and Flynn. Together with a couple more experienced forwards.

Edited by topladtownie, 10 December 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#40 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

I dont think we can even count walne as a loss as we only had him for a couple of games last year.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users