Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

League Express on Monday

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,831 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

In Monday's edition of League Express we have a detailed interviews with Dave Smith, the CEO of the NRL, and with Barbara Slater, the Head of Sport at the BBC, both talking about the World Cup and the legacy that might flow from the tournament.

We also have an update on the London Broncos situation, including an interview with Sean Long about his possible coaching role with the Broncos. And we report on the first player who looks likely to be heading out of Bradford Bulls to another club, following their recent financial crisis.

We have news about every Super League, Championship and Championship One club, as well as a comprehensive review of all the Rugby League books that have been published during 2013 from a diverse range of publishers.

We also have a piece with Leeds star Stevie Ward, speaking about the new CD he's created from supporters' chants at Leeds, and we get an update on Stevie's injury situation.

We have a full preview of Warrington Wolves' 2014 season, with the chance to win a Warrington replica shirt, and we also have previews for Championship clubs Dewsbury and Barrow.

In Championship Focus Gareth Walker writes about the contrasting approaches of the two clubs promoted to the Championship for 2014, while Garry Schofield, in 'Pulling no Punches', backs the call of the legendary Andrew Johns for better coaching of halfbacks in the British game.

In 'Talking Grassroots' Phil Hodgson praises the RFL's alacrity in creating a World Cup legacy in the amateur game, and praises the club that won the Fair Play Award at the National Conference League dinner.

In this week's Mailbag one of our correspondents picks out what she thought was an outstanding example of sportsmanship in the World Cup Final that she believes hasn't been remarked on elsewhere.

In this week's 'Off the Field' feature we speak to former Leeds and now Wakefield star Paul McShane, who reveals what he is really scared of.

And in my column I write about what should be a logical alternative to the Exiles game in 2013 as well as casting my eye over the health of Rugby League generally.

Who said there would be nothing to write about once the World Cup came to an end?

For those who can't wait, Rugby League Express will be available online from about 11.00pm tonight via the Pocketmags website.

Although I say it myself, it should make for very good reading.

#2 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Looking forward to reading this week's League Express.  But then again, Schofield aside, I look forward to reading League Express every week.  I likes my rugby league!

#3 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

Like to get the paper on a Monday , but find the Phil Hodgson page hard work not every week but most and the letters page needs replacing with more amateur / semi pro news.

#4 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Looking forward to reading this week's League Express.  But then again, Schofield aside, I look forward to reading League Express every week.  I likes my rugby league!

when Schofield talks about players and the way the game is played I think he is excellent-he really knows his stuff.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

when Schofield talks about players and the way the game is played I think he is excellent-he really knows his stuff.

I think he lets the paper down myself.  I wouldn't waste paper on him (as a writer I mean; no idea what he's like as a person).

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

I think he lets the paper down myself.  I wouldn't waste paper on him (as a writer I mean; no idea what he's like as a person).

what he's like as a person doesn't matter

some of the things he says about the governance of the game I find very annoying

but I do think he has good insights into how the game is played and the players that play it: that's just my feeling and I do enjoy reading what he has to say on this aspect of the game.

Keeping it local

#7 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,831 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

League Express has just gone online.

You can subscribe at http://www.pocketmag...=League Express.

Happy reading.

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

League Express has just gone online.

You can subscribe at http://www.pocketmag...=League Express.

Happy reading.

well played

Myself I like the walk through the woods to Patel's of a Monday morning

then spragged out on the settee with a brew and a pile of toast and Ken Bruce

now that's living

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 08 December 2013 - 11:11 PM.

Keeping it local

#9 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,831 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

well played

Myself I like the walk through the woods to Patel's of a Monday morning

then spragged out on the settee with a brew and a pile of toast and Ken Bruce

now that's living

That sounds like my sort of Monday morning.

Maybe I'll come and join you.

Edited by Martyn Sadler, 08 December 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

That sound like my sort of Monday morning.

Maybe I'll come and join you.

you are always welcome at our gaff you know that

Keeping it local

#11 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

Just skimmed it so far but I like the cut of Dave Smith's jib. What would be fascinating would be to have some Aussie RL journo comment on the likelihood of his being allowed to do th things he mentions. Is he all powerful?

#12 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

what he's like as a person doesn't matter

some of the things he says about the governance of the game I find very annoying

but I do think he has good insights into how the game is played and the players that play it: that's just my feeling and I do enjoy reading what he has to say on this aspect of the game.

I always enjoy reading his column, and as you say, he does offer interesting insights on the actual game and the players. I might not agree with everything he says, but isn't that the point of an opinion column? I don't agree with everything Martyn Sadler writes in his column, and Phil Hodgson's column comes from one very specific viewpoint, but it's their opinion. For all the criticism of Schofield, I'm sure there are a lot of people who share similar views.

#13 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

My "issue" with Schofield is his need to compare his deeds favourably with every player running around today. He was a decent "poacher", but he wasn't a great in an era when there were genuine greats in GB. He was probably Leeds' best player, but that wasn't saying much. In his mind Ellery and Offiah were lucky to be playing with him. Either it's a self referential joke, or he's deluded.

#14 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,831 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

My "issue" with Schofield is his need to compare his deeds favourably with every player running around today. He was a decent "poacher", but he wasn't a great in an era when there were genuine greats in GB. He was probably Leeds' best player, but that wasn't saying much. In his mind Ellery and Offiah were lucky to be playing with him. Either it's a self referential joke, or he's deluded.

I think that's very unfair to Garry Schofield.

His record number of caps for GB, if nothing else, suggest what a great player he was.

My late colleague Raymond Fletcher used to remark that in his opinion Garry was the finest GB player in the modern era when playing against Australia, right from when he burst onto the international scene with that sensational try for GB in Brisbane in 1984.

In my experience all players who have achieved big things in the game are proud of what they have achieved, and are quite protective of their own reputation. In that sense Garry is just like every other former player. The difference is that he writes a weekly column and most retired players don't.

The truly frustrating thing about Garry is that all too often his opinions are proved to be correct.

#15 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

I must have missed his world class performances, aside from Melbourne in 92. Easily done in an age with less wall to wall coverage, and Wigan dominance.

#16 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Letters page is always a delight. I use it as a reference point to assess how "care in the community" is coming along.

Phil Hodgson has now got to the stage where he has become a parody of himself. A bit like Stevo, Michael Calvin & Stephen Jones. The actual person can't be that daft, but there is now a public image to play up to, which results in tiresome old cliches trotted out time and time again.

Bless.

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

This being the off season and now post world cup too it didn't take me as long as normal to read most of the paper while enjoying a cuppa.  Schofield didn't annoy me as much as usual, but that is possibly because he couldn't get on any of his hobby horses as the world cup was a resounding success (bar England's untimely exit).  Other than that it was a good read this week.  Not sure what to make of David Smith.  He seemed to sidestep the crucial issue of international development by focusing on the development of the Australian games in most of his responses.  Or so it appeared on first reading anyway!  Hopefully my impression was gained through carelessness and will not stand the second reading the piece will no doubt get over the coming week.

#18 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

In my experience all players who have achieved big things in the game are proud of what they have achieved, and are quite protective of their own reputation. In that sense Garry is just like every other former player. The difference is that he writes a weekly column and most retired players don't.

True that.

The letters page is anachronistic, tedious and irrelevant in the internet forum age.

A Fev Blog

#19 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:28 AM

Not sure what to make of David Smith.  He seemed to sidestep the crucial issue of international development by focusing on the development of the Australian games in most of his responses.  

Really? did he say anything re international development apart from re Oz?

#20 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,831 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

Read it for yourself at http://www.pocketmag...=League Express

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users