Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

We need our own stadium

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,087 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

I would have liked to see Leeds work with the soccer club to ground share, Leeds is easy to access and is steeped in RL
The pitch quality available and the seasons would make this very workable, a 60k home in Leeds would be a great base for RL and we could sell red hall too

we dont own red hall

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#22 pahars

pahars
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

The only way it could possibly be financially viable would be to move every RL event there.

I prefer the way it is now challenge cup in London, grand final in Manchester and internationals where we like.

#23 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

we dont own red hall

who does?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#24 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

Blackpool, is my choice, hotels easy access, entertaiment, heartland location.

i was talking to a old fella in a pub a few years ago and he was telling me how the RFL,back in the 40's/50's, gave serious thought to building a national RL stadium in blackpool...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#25 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

theres no way leeds would move to south leeds to share with united  maybe a new ground off the m1  at garforth  but not south leeds

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

Forgive my directness.

pie-in-sky-300x225.jpg

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,087 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

who does?

Leeds City Council

Keeping it local

#28 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Then we could move out of Red Hall then

#29 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Wembley cost £798 million.  

It is also there.  We can use it or we can build our own on land we do not own, save costs by making it not as good (to pay for the land) and then use it two or three times a year.  Do not worry abount maintenance costs, no-one cares about that.

Fantastic.  That is the perfect solution to the problem of having almost a billion pounds that you do not want.

Or, we could use the good number of stadiums that are already available.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#30 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

Leeds City Council

IIRC, the RFL do own the buildings they occupy, having bought them from LCC a while back, but LCC own the land they are built on so it is a leasehold purchase rather than owning the freehold outright.
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#31 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

Seriously, what would be the advantages over Wembley? To build our own stadium of anything like the required size would cost an amount that the game would be paying back over all of our lifetimes - never mind the ongoing maintenance.

I think most sporting organisations are waking up to the fact that the 'Big White Elephant' model is now way since out of fashion. The good news for RL is that our national ground has already been built, more than fulfils our needs and was paid for by someone else. We should rejoice in what a good deal we got for ourselves. Meanwhile, as Manchester United slide back into the pack as far as football is concerned, they'll need us more rather than less.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#32 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

Look, as a recent convert far be it from me to get involved in the politics, but the one bit of rugby league I ever watched regular as clockwork before Oxford RL was set up was the challenge cup final, every year for 30 years on the TV. To me, and millions of others that are/were casual viewers of one game a year the challenge cup final *means* Wembley, it's what you expect to see. Moving it back up north (which you would have to because the finances would only have a chance of working if you put everything in it) because it's "in the heartlands" is the kind of small-minded thinking that would have anybody south of the Trent saying "cheerio, don't let the door hit you on the way out."

There is an audience for big games south of the M62, the expansion clubs need to be given time to bed in, and the world cup's just been actually quite good.

I'm afraid "we need our own stadium" is probably wrong - not when the money could be better spent on development of the game full stop, rather than a totally unnecessary bauble for the big clubs you've already got. The Challenge Cup final is the once a year showcase for what RL is in England, and why people ought to watch it (having said that, I've never been so bored as watching this year's....). The Grand Final is another chance, but it doesn't have the heritage or part-of-the-furniture cut through for the non-committed Englishman outside the M62 (take it from me).

Basically, much as I hate London and spend as little time there as possible, we've got to keep the Challenge Cup final there as a statement of intent and "this is us and this is what we do." The pressure to move it in the event of getting a dedicated national stadium would be immense and probably economically irresistible. But it would be the wrong thing to do.

Incidentally, the Ricoh would be a starter on paper, but I suspect a hostile bid from a third party (the RFL), doesn't figure anywhere in the Coventry City fans' rescue plans, so it might be affordable, but I guarantee it would be a public relations disaster in the city itself (and one that promised not to go away any time soon).

#33 Saint Doc

Saint Doc
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

If only Man City had kept Maine Road modern over the years, and maintained its original capacity, then City of Manchester Stadium would have represented the greatest opportunity for the RFL to ever take over the running of a suitable stadium.

As others have said though, I think the current arrangements with wembley, old trafford, and to a lesser extent, etihad and cardiff, will continue

#34 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,087 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

IIRC, the RFL do own the buildings they occupy, having bought them from LCC a while back, but LCC own the land they are built on so it is a leasehold purchase rather than owning the freehold outright.

you are probably right

the red hall estate is quite an extensive set up

it hoyuses the councils horticultural department

personally I like the ifea of RL HQ being there. It has gravitas

Keeping it local

#35 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

Agree about Wembley and CCF, that's why I said a groundshare.

LRLFC selling Headingley and LUFC selling ER to fund a new shared stadium in the city, I am sure the lottery and government would also provide funds. Play GF, Magic and all England internationals at it, create a club England mentality. 1000 debentures at £10k for 10 years is a great deposit also, especially if Leeds Utd could do the same. A 60000 seater built in Leeds would cost less than £70m, built on 3 tiers with the top tier open as required

#36 Saint Doc

Saint Doc
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

LRLFC selling Headingley and LUFC selling ER to fund a new shared stadium in the city, I am sure the lottery and government would also provide funds. Play GF, Magic and all England internationals at it, create a club England mentality. 1000 debentures at £10k for 10 years is a great deposit also, especially if Leeds Utd could do the same. A 60000 seater built in Leeds would cost less than £70m, built on 3 tiers with the top tier open as required

Do leeds rhinos really want 12-18000 fans rattling around in a 60k stadium week in week out?

#37 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

So to avoid sharing a ground your proposal is to share a ground.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

So to avoid sharing a ground your proposal is to share a ground.

A single tier stadium costs around £1,500/seat when you start adding tiers the costs jump significantly upwards. A 60k single tier stadium comes out at around £90m

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#39 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,108 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

So buy the land.

Build a 50,000 - 60,000 capacity stadium.

Maintain a 50,000 - 60,000 capacity stadium.

Fill it 2-3 times a year.

or

Use Wembley and sell it out to 90,000

I'm not finance expert, but I can see which would make money, and which wouldn't...

Alternative is buy the Ricoh and have a challenge cup final attended by 32,000.

Edited by Bedford Roughyed, 09 December 2013 - 01:06 PM.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#40 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Need to know how much its cost to hire grounds, e.g. Wembley, Old Trafford, Etihad, etc.... Then some way of knowing if over a "investment period" how the costs contrasted.

As to tradition, e.g. CC at Wembley etc, we all adapt and new generations form their own traditions.  Just like we have adapted to Old Trafford being the GF ground.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users