Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

We need our own stadium

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

you are probably right

the red hall estate is quite an extensive set up
it hoyuses the councils horticultural department

personally I like the ifea of RL HQ being there. It has gravitas

Yes, except that LCC have recently put the whole of the estate up for sale with planning permission for 375 houses, so the HQ could end up being in the middle of a housing estate !

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#42 Saint Doc

Saint Doc
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

I did wonder if the RFL would consider basing itself in media city UK like RLWC did.

Seemed like there could have been some advantages to their location? (BBC coverage for eg)

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,875 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

So buy the land.

Build a 50,000 - 60,000 capacity stadium.

Maintain a 50,000 - 60,000 capacity stadium.

Fill it 2-3 times a year.

or

Use Wembley and sell it out to 90,000

I'm not finance expert, but I can see which would make money, and which wouldn't...

Alternative is buy the Ricoh and have a challenge cup final attended by 32,000.

And, not being in the capital, it would be safely out of sight and out of mind for the London-minded national media.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

This is a thread that is worth preserving.  It demonstrates that no matter what the doubts are about the RFL, there are many on here who would do many, many times worse.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#45 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

Agree about Wembley and CCF, that's why I said a groundshare.
LRLFC selling Headingley and LUFC selling ER to fund a new shared stadium in the city, I am sure the lottery and government would also provide funds. Play GF, Magic and all England internationals at it, create a club England mentality. 1000 debentures at £10k for 10 years is a great deposit also, especially if Leeds Utd could do the same. A 60000 seater built in Leeds would cost less than £70m, built on 3 tiers with the top tier open as required

Leeds Utd don't own ER either and no one knows who does
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#46 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,079 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

You're wrong - someone knows.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#47 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

As for Headingley! Now that the club dont own the cricket side and they only own part of the Carnegie if they decided to relocate the playing area and southstand Western terrace would become a carpark
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#48 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,698 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

see http://www.network54...back ground ...

stadium or land or both?

Sill, back on topic.  own stadium? no. it would be bound to be in the north, and that would be the end of any growth/expansion in my view. no money, anyway.

#49 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

I thought the council bought Elland Road when Leeds were in financial trouble in the 80's and that it was the ownership of Leeds United that was the secret

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#50 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

I know it's been done on here before but...
After the success of the WC it got me wondering how much it costs to hire a stadium like Wembley or Old Trafford.
Taking into account the money we lose on catering etc it must have cost us a fair bit down the years.
That then brings up the question of location etc.
I know its a bit small at 45000 ( I'm sure it could be extended) but the Ricoh in Coventry could be had for a song. The ground is owned by Coventry Council and a local charity. Coventry City FC's owners SISU have been trying to position themselves so that they can get the ground for far less than its actual value and it wouldn't take much for the council to sell to someone else just to spite SISU who have been pretty obnoxious.
Incidentally the council claim they are making money at the ground and don't need " a third rate soccer club" ( a councillors view) they do ok from concerts and events.
So why would the council sell? Because they are not nor should be in the business of running a stadium.

Its a good idea, but its not going to happen for a very long time if at all. Like many things with Rugby League here we missed the boat years ago.

#51 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

I thought the council bought Elland Road when Leeds were in financial trouble in the 80's and that it was the ownership of Leeds United that was the secret

The club bought it back shortly after quite cheap,but sold it again when they went bust in the noughties
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#52 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

The club bought it back shortly after quite cheap,but sold it again when they went bust in the noughties

GFHC bought the club off Bates last year,but back on track owning our own stadium is a nice thought I admire the GAA owning Croke park and they stricty amatuer.Maybe we should have done this in the 1950s

Edited by fieldofclothofgold, 09 December 2013 - 05:30 PM.

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#53 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

I agree with most on here that Old Trafford and Wembley should stay.However if the RFL have to re-locate I would like it to be done with the inclusion of playing,training facilties such as the England soccer set up at Burton.

#54 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

Can't see any benefit in this idea. If we had the money, which we don't, there are loads of more important things to spend it on.

We have ready access to the best stadia in the country and access to excellent training facilities at Loughborough for the national side. We have the flexibility to select from a wide choice of stadia to suit the crowd we are expecting for any given game.

Why would we choose to tie ourselves to one location with a stadium capacity that is the same whether it is the Northern Rail cup final, or the World Cup final?

#55 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

If it were a good idea (and it isn't, it is a stupid idea), they would use Osdal.

But they won't as, and this is important, it is a stupid idea.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#56 abd

abd
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

It's a nice idea, but that's all. As already stated you need to build big to accomodate the Challenge Cup and GF. World Cup semi's/finals are too infrequent. Unlike the RFU and FA, RL hasn't got the international calender to provide 70-80,000 crowds. Any club sharing would suffer from poor atmosphere, and be at home during any finals. Let's not even bother talking about cost!

Wembley is great for it's current use. The north has plenty of large football grounds and the coice will grow with both Merseyside clubs needing more capacity, Man City expanding, Elland Road is decent for tests. No need for change here.

I do think Coventry may be worth a future event though. Maybe a test v Aus/NZ, maybe a high profile SL double header. The midlands was one of the few areas left out by the WC, and with Coventry and Leicester looking to progress it's a target area.

#57 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

I've always thought about it. But to be honest it's pie in the sky really. Why? Because the RFL don't have the cash.

If they did then they could build a mid-sized stadium for non-Finals internationals.

Combine this with the fact that I think Bradford and Leeds could do with a new stadium and well you've got a strong connection there.

Leeds is undoubtedly the biggest RL city and the only RL city (bar Manchester) with the credibility of having a 'national stadium'.

Of course the SLGF, CCF, and World Cup and Four Nations Finals would no doubt stay in London or Manchester. It is out of the question to move them.

But the World Club Challenge, England internationals and Rhinos home matches would be great for a 40,000 seater at Leeds.

One can dream (and yes this is one hell of a dream!)

Edited by ShotgunGold, 09 December 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#58 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

The more I think of this the better it seems,

I would keep the current finals where they are but magic, CC double header semis, championship finals, amateur cup finals, school finals, uni finals and internationals!

All in a development area the current RFL buildings could be relocated there,

If the local council truly make a profit then it should be a nice little earner for RL....

(As long as theres room for expansion)

#59 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Look, as a recent convert far be it from me to get involved in the politics, but the one bit of rugby league I ever watched regular as clockwork before Oxford RL was set up was the challenge cup final, every year for 30 years on the TV. To me, and millions of others that are/were casual viewers of one game a year the challenge cup final *means* Wembley, it's what you expect to see. Moving it back up north (which you would have to because the finances would only have a chance of working if you put everything in it) because it's "in the heartlands" is the kind of small-minded thinking that would have anybody south of the Trent saying "cheerio, don't let the door hit you on the way out."

There is an audience for big games south of the M62, the expansion clubs need to be given time to bed in, and the world cup's just been actually quite good.

I'm afraid "we need our own stadium" is probably wrong - not when the money could be better spent on development of the game full stop, rather than a totally unnecessary bauble for the big clubs you've already got. The Challenge Cup final is the once a year showcase for what RL is in England, and why people ought to watch it (having said that, I've never been so bored as watching this year's....). The Grand Final is another chance, but it doesn't have the heritage or part-of-the-furniture cut through for the non-committed Englishman outside the M62 (take it from me).

Basically, much as I hate London and spend as little time there as possible, we've got to keep the Challenge Cup final there as a statement of intent and "this is us and this is what we do." The pressure to move it in the event of getting a dedicated national stadium would be immense and probably economically irresistible. But it would be the wrong thing to do.

Incidentally, the Ricoh would be a starter on paper, but I suspect a hostile bid from a third party (the RFL), doesn't figure anywhere in the Coventry City fans' rescue plans, so it might be affordable, but I guarantee it would be a public relations disaster in the city itself (and one that promised not to go away any time soon).

Well said to all of that!

#60 eal

eal
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

Build it in London and it can solve the Broncos home ground dilemma too. I am sure there 2000 or so fans would appreciate having 70,000 seats to choose from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users