Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

We need our own stadium

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

Build it in London and it can solve the Broncos home ground dilemma too. I am sure there 2000 or so fans would appreciate having 70,000 seats to choose from.

Queens park in Glasgow play in-front of 500.........

#62 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,834 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

I do think Coventry may be worth a future event though. Maybe a test v Aus/NZ, maybe a high profile SL double header. The midlands was one of the few areas left out by the WC, and with Coventry and Leicester looking to progress it's a target area.

They should maybe put the CCSFs (as a double header) out to tender and have rival cities bid for it each year. That is an event that really needs a boost.
Posted Image

#63 Sticksthebull1986

Sticksthebull1986
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

Seriously, what would be the advantages over Wembley? To build our own stadium of anything like the required size would cost an amount that the game would be paying back over all of our lifetimes - never mind the ongoing maintenance.

I think most sporting organisations are waking up to the fact that the 'Big White Elephant' model is now way since out of fashion. The good news for RL is that our national ground has already been built, more than fulfils our needs and was paid for by someone else. We should rejoice in what a good deal we got for ourselves. Meanwhile, as Manchester United slide back into the pack as far as football is concerned, they'll need us more rather than less.

#64 Sticksthebull1986

Sticksthebull1986
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

Old Trafford is perfect!! And let's not forget that Manchester United's ground staff and board said no to rugby union for the World Cup but are very happy to stage rugby league as it does less damage to the playing surface!! Which is a big issue for football clubs and wembley for that matter!! So why can we not work with Manchester United and make that are home? No need to build are own stadium when we have good relations with a club and stadium that is famous around the world!!

#65 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:46 AM

Seriously, what would be the advantages over Wembley? To build our own stadium of anything like the required size would cost an amount that the game would be paying back over all of our lifetimes - never mind the ongoing maintenance.

I think most sporting organisations are waking up to the fact that the 'Big White Elephant' model is now way since out of fashion. The good news for RL is that our national ground has already been built, more than fulfils our needs and was paid for by someone else. We should rejoice in what a good deal we got for ourselves. Meanwhile, as Manchester United slide back into the pack as far as football is concerned, they'll need us more rather than less.

Tongue firmly in cheek, right? They won't ever allow more than one game there, and only if its the final (WC year exception that doesn't happen often). 

#66 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,738 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

Tongue was firmly in cheek, yes. And when I said they'll need us more, I meant for the game(s) they already host rather than 'more games'.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#67 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

This.

There are better things for The RFL to be spending money on than a stadium that will be barely used. The RLWC proved we don't need one. Take the game to the people and they will come.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#68 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

This.
There are better things for The RFL to be spending money on than a stadium that will be barely used. The RLWC proved we don't need one. Take the game to the people and they will come.

At the moment, true. But if the game grows, with regular internationals, having its own stadium shows that it is a major sport and provides a focal point. Having internationals played at a variety of football grounds does not provide a good image for non RL fans

#69 pahars

pahars
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

At the moment, true. But if the game grows, with regular internationals, having its own stadium shows that it is a major sport and provides a focal point. Having internationals played at a variety of football grounds does not provide a good image for non RL fans

Rubbish getting 67,500 at Wembley and 74,500 at Old Trafford looks great for non RL fans. We need more of these big internationals at these stadiums.

As for smaller internationals the England games in the world cup in front of packed crowds at Huddersfield, Hull and Wigan looked great on the BBC.

#70 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

It would be nice to see the RFL have a national stadium with 90,000 seats, it'd be also nice to see another 90,000 children pick up a ball and join their local club too. I know both are expensive, but I think I'd go with the second part.

Kiddies look so cute running around in oversized jumpers and footballs as big as their heads, makes me smile that the game is going good while I get a massive laugh at their expense.

#71 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,834 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:28 AM

Rubbish getting 67,500 at Wembley and 74,500 at Old Trafford looks great for non RL fans. We need more of these big internationals at these stadiums.

As for smaller internationals the England games in the world cup in front of packed crowds at Huddersfield, Hull and Wigan looked great on the BBC.

But unfortunately the RFL will no doubt bottle it and go back to grounds the size of 12k for games against France/Wales etc and 25k against the Kiwis and Roos.
Posted Image

#72 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

Playing at Wembley is a good look.  Playing at Old Trafford is a good look.

Either playing at a shoddy imitation or being a billion in debt is a bad look.

If you had a billion to develop the game, is this really what you would spend it on?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#73 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

If I had a billion to spend, then yes, some of it would go on a national stadium to be the home of rugby league. Borrowing grounds from other sports is fine in the short and medium term, but having a stadium that was synonymous with Rugby League would aid the profile.

#74 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

If I had a billion to spend, then yes, some of it would go on a national stadium to be the home of rugby league. Borrowing grounds from other sports is fine in the short and medium term, but having a stadium that was synonymous with Rugby League would aid the profile.

Would it really though? And like it or not there is one - ask anyone in the south who isn't a dyed in the wool League fan what they know about rugby league and I guarantee you'll get Eddie Waring and the Challenge Cup Final *at Wembley.*

That might not be as "good" for the psychology of the already converted as not having  "our own" version of Wembley, Twickenham, Wimbledon, Lord's, wherever, but rugby league is synonymous with Wembley for many many of the people you are wanting to win over.

Using myself as an example, as someone who's been watching League properly (ie more than just the CC final) for precisely one season,  I can only name about 5 rugby league grounds of the top of my head* - and one of those is Wembley...

Given outside the M62 we're up against that startling level of ignorance (hell, we've all got to start somewhere), and with the expansion clubs it's people *with* that startling level of ignorance like me that are the ones who are going to have to do it, I think it's probably far more necessary to get on with evangelising the game as a game, than it is to worry about the lack of a flagship HQ.

*For the record: Wembley, Belle Vue, Derwent Park, Odsal, Post Office Road.

#75 UxbridgeBunny

UxbridgeBunny
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

Personally I'd use Wembley as efficively our national stadium, all games v Australia and NZ there. With proper planning and say never more than a two yr break without playing, along with a bit of promotion, I reckon we could always pull in excess of 50k and intime start to fill the ground. In a city of 8million people that loves big events there's much more potential for massive crowds than anywhere up north. Sponsors and the press would also begin to notice us more if we were packing out Wembley more than once every 20yrs. Would the big hit have pulled 67.5k at old Trafford? I doubt it.

#76 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

I agree with iffleyox up to a point, but Wembley is associated with Football, the FA cup final and England football team first and formost. RL playing there plants the message 'they must be small time, they don't even have their own stadium'. Same for Old Trafford.

I am not saying a stadium should be built now, Wembley and OT worked brilliantly for the World Cup. But I think it would be a good idea to plan for the future so in time there could be a national stadium

#77 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Why don't we get on board with Adam Pearson, buy out Elland Road and use a refurbished stadium like that?

Or look to develop one in the brown field sites around Manchester?

Wherever it goes it needs to be sizeable, expandable and future proofed and usable by every aspect of the game and probably several others too to make it pay its way

Then again looking at the US the superbowl moves around every year so what's the big deal?

I am told Twickers and the Millenium need sports like ours to assist because they cost so much to run, Wembley needs the CC and whatever else we throw at it.

A massive stadium would be a waste of money, a 30k stadium would be OK but only if we played all the internationals in it and were happy to see a full but ultimately smaller stadium sell out regularly for CC and grand finals

So that may not make financial sense as the deals with Wembley and OT make a lot of cash now, any stadium would have to trump those

Bit of a non starter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users