Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Andy Powell - back to RU?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,770 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

Having played just five games for Wigan Warriors since switching codes, Andy Powell is contemplating moving back to rugby union.

Two leading Welsh RU clubs are interested in the former international back rower who also played for the British Lions.

LINK TO ARTICLE

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 7723

• Coach
  • 550 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

He has just been given squad number 21 by Wigan. Doesn't mean he isn't going, but if talks are going on you would have thought he wouldn't have been given a number.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,770 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

I hope he stays. I'm curious to see how he'll do, given a full off-season's preparation.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

My guess is that after a career in RU and at his age he's finding the conditioning needed for Pro Rugby is too much to handle and wants out

#5 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

depends what you mean by just got the squad number  I would guess a couple of weeks ago  so if the offers came in after that  you can see how it would happen

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#6 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Big draw for all parties must have been having him available for the RLWC, I guess now this has passed him by all parties are keen to take another look at the options.

#7 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

I thought he looked quite handy, and with a whole off season to prepare thought he would do well in 2014.

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

At least the MEN wasn't being judgemental: Wigan flop Powell

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

Surprised at this. Players usually last at least a couple of seasons at Wigan before heading off to union.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#10 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

I admire the bloke for taking the gamble, he wanted to test himself at a new sport and showed plenty bottle in doing so - whatever he goes on to do I wish him well

#11 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

I admire the bloke for taking the gamble, he wanted to test himself at a new sport and showed plenty bottle in doing so - whatever he goes on to do I wish him well

Fully agree.  I think that with a full off-season of training he would make good progress in League.

#12 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

It should have said 'Having played 10 minutes spread over 5 games for Wigan"
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#13 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hope it isn't true as i would like to see how he goes this season. Improving his defence, which clearly needed working on, is something you can happen pretty quickly if he's willing to listen and learn.

Brave decision to come over and have a go regardless. No doubt cop plenty of stick for such a sharp exit though.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#14 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

Conditioning can be done in the off-season. Learning the game is a longer process, when you factor that into his age/contract length, maybe a return to RU is best for both parties.

#15 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Always looked a curious signing this one. Only seen brief glimpses of him on the telly, but he doesn't look up to it really, and at his age, can't see him getting to grip with the game.

If he was any good at union, then I'd go back there if I was him, as I can't see him getting any game time in Super League.

#16 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

how much did he get paid for his 10 mins of sl? waste of money ru pudding

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#17 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Heard from a reliable source that he is ripping it up in training. His age, rather than ability or attitude is a worry, similar to Gareth Thomas in this respect.

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

We ought to ask if we can have him on loan for the first three months.

To my mind, his problem isn't his age, skill  or fitness. That's not been in doubt for the past ten years.

It's that he seemingly has fallen out with every team he's played for.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#19 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

I hope he gives it at least another 12 months. I really can't see him baulking at this point as it would do his cred no good whatsoever in either game. And he's a nice enough bloke, so I've heard.

#20 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Maybe he thought he would walk into Wales world cup team?

With more internationals he and a few of his old pals may be tempted to do a SBW?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users