Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Spoiler or Avoider - If you miss the match?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

I must admit I am a big avoider and will go to great lengths to steer clear of a result if I miss a game and want to watch it on TV. For the World Cup, I missed the Eng v Fiji game due to a work trip and had to lie low for 24 hours before I could watch it. Watched the GF at around 11pm the same day and just about got away with it. About half of the WC games I watched were on delay.

I struggle to enjoy the game if I know the result. This is often difficult as I only get to watch around 20% of games live on TV. Some of my family members and friends think I am stupid and say we live in a spoiler culture now. Anyone else in the same boat or simply not bothered about knowing results beforehand?

#2 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

I try to be an avoider but sometimes no matter how hard you try you can't always avoid it. Even if you tell someone you don't want to know the score they accidently give it away half the time.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#3 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

I try to be an avoider but sometimes no matter how hard you try you can't always avoid it. Even if you tell someone you don't want to know the score they accidently give it away half the time.

Yeah, the hints are the worst. My son said the Eng v Fiji game was pretty much as expected without even thinking about it. :girlwerewolf:  

#4 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Try to be an avoider but it can be difficult, especially when your instinct is to check the news/Facebook etc on your phone. I'm not one of these people who'll come onto a rugby league website and moan when people post the result they were trying to avoid though.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

I try to avoid. It's easier to do living where I am, but I do tend to forget to not look at FB or Twitter.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, the hints are the worst. My son said the Eng v Fiji game was pretty much as expected without even thinking about it. :girlwerewolf:

My grandad is equally as good as that
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

TRL members are usually quite good at keeping spoilers out of thread titles. But of course, nothing is 100% reliable, and an over-enthusiastic post can always spill the beans.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

Definitely avoid.

I blew up at my eldest during the World Cup, when I'd just got back from PNG v France to watch NZ v Samoa on catch-up. I'd just paused it to go make a brew and she came down and said "That was a good result for the Kiwis, they won 22-0". Once Samoa scored, I fortunately realised she'd got it wrong and went and apologised for blowing up!

Once went away down South on the Challenge Cup weekend, and avoided listening to the radio in the car, or looking at a paper whilst we were away, or watching any news on TV, just in case, so I could watch the matches when we got back. The one advantage of RL having such a low media profile!

Got home to find we'd had a power cut, so the video hadn't recorded. The papers on Monday were talking about the Leeds semi as an absolute classic!

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

I tend to do ok, sometimes if there's a clash at Odsal with a tv game (rarely) I'll ask the two behind not to say the score, but other than that I've no real issue as I don't have a internet phone.

There was the occasion I went to see Micky Flanagan at Leeds arena and it was during the Wigan v Leeds final eliminator and I overheard someone mentioning Wigan had won, so that was a bit of a downer.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

I try to avoid the score. But I'm not one of those people that expect others to go out of their way to keep it from me on places like RL forums! If you want to avoid the score, stay off the RL websites!
Posted Image

#11 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

I tend to do ok, sometimes if there's a clash at Odsal with a tv game (rarely) I'll ask the two behind not to say the score

Odsal on match day moments before hindle arrives to take his seat...

crowd_al1-420x0.jpg

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#12 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

There was the occasion I went to see Micky Flanagan at Leeds arena and it was during the Wigan v Leeds final eliminator and I overheard someone mentioning Wigan had won, so that was a bit of a downer.

And then you had to watch Micky Flanagan. Bad night all round.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#13 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

I try to avoid the score but usually can't help myself and find out the result. I then watch the game knowing who has won and curse myself for finding out.

#14 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

as someone who has just caught up on the last regular rounds of super league on my sky box this week  didn't really bother me as I had forgotten the results

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users