Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Thierry Alibert leaves RFL

Thierry Alibert Uncle Albert Referee France

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

Taking up a new role in the FFRXIII

http://www1.skysport...-role-in-france

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#2 7723

• Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Not a great loss.

#3 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

I like him as he isn't influenced by the crowd one jot - he just does his own thing!

#4 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

fingers crossed that doesn't mean Robert Hicks gets promoted to a Full time SL ref..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

That's a shame. He's improved considerably in his time in SL and, at 42, there was still plenty of refereeing life left in him. No doubt this opportunity is too good to refuse.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,460 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

I've always thought he was a good ref.

Pity Silverwood isn't a fluent French speaker.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Wasn't this the plan? Gain some experience in sl then go and spread the word?

#8 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

I must have missed every game he reffereed well cos terry albert as he is known in hull was at best inept at worst shocking!

#9 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

I'll miss him.  Sure, he's had his bloopers (which ref hasn't?) but he also has a mind of his own and has added character to the refs since he's been in Superleague.

I hope he does well in his new job.  Good luck to him.

#10 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

I wish him well he should do ok reffing french waiters and bakers ect.

#11 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

The Aussies complained that they couldn't understand his spoken English.
I though his spoken English was better than the Aussies!

#12 LionelHurst

LionelHurst
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thierry is a real gentleman and treiziste.His contributions at the York and Lezignan 9s were superb.He will aid greatly rugby a treize en France.Merci et bonne chance mon ami.

#13 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

I will miss him nutty warm ups !

#14 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Good luck Thierry. I liked his style.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#15 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

I really enjoyed watching him as a referee.  Esoteric yes, eccentric ditto, but always wanted to make a flowing game of it if at all possible.  His shut out from the tip top international games was a great shame.  Hope to see his warm up routines at Elite games in the near future.

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#16 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

Shame. Made the odd blunder, but not an 'ego' (and we have a lot of them around at the moment) and not one who was easily swayed by the big crowds.

To be replaced with another monoglot ref with a barely comprehensible northern accent, no doubt.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Good luck to the guy for the future. Certainly not the worst ref to ever be involved in the game, I like his no nonsense style.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#18 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

He'd be great on "Countdown".

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#19 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

Met Thierry over there when doing a CC tie back in the early 2000s (he did the warm up game) and he asked why they didn't appoint a French ref to the game because I think he'd already done Wales v Cook Islands in the 2000 World Cup IIRC (any stattos know if that's right?). We took the idea back to the RFL and he came over later that season to do some games below SL. I certainly remember TJ for him at York, I think it was in his first club game over here.

As Lionel says, he is an absolute gent, impeccable manners and a genuinely nice fella.

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thierry Alibert, Uncle Albert, Referee, France