Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sean Long to coach Broncos, Tony Rea to CEO. What could possibly go wrong?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Thinking about it overnight it seems increasingly likely that the plan is simply to get to the starting gate and complete the fixture list - Hughes fulfills his commitment for the 3 year licence, the RFL get to complete their fixtures, Kleanthouse has 12 months to access further grants for his stadium. In which case they should have the good grace to tell us all so that the few fans who haven't yet been driven away can make a decision about their level of involvement with this charade.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#22 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

Sean Long doesn't seem to stay anywhere too long these days. I suppose with the state London are in, there are less people for him to fall out with.  

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#23 brooza

brooza
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

Unfortunately that is how I see it.if they were serious I think they would go for an ambitious young Aussie coach like Catalans and Hull KR have done in the past. He would do a good job, probably stay a couple of years and then get a good job in the NRL. You just never know though.

As opposed to an ambitious young British coach?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#24 littlebigfella

littlebigfella
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

could be worse bobby goulding could apply

#25 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

He didn't do a bad job at fev , they certainly upped a gear when he took over and were scoring points for fun... only bad result was when they lost in the playoffs to Batley , but on that day Batley were well up for it and deserved to go through and was 2nd best game i saw last season with only WC semi england v new zealand beating it

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

It's not a good appointment but I'm not sure that there was a huge number of applicants for any job club that may or may not exist next week and has about 5 players on the books. Longy was probably the best that they could do under the circumstances.

People might be unexcited by Rea but on the plus side, he is not Gus McKay.

#27 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

It's not a good appointment but I'm not sure that there was a huge number of applicants for any job club that may or may not exist next week and has about 5 players on the books. Longy was probably the best that they could do under the circumstances.

People might be unexcited by Rea but on the plus side, he is not Gus McKay.

When Rea was CEO previously he moved the club around London, wasted the Virgin money, stiffed John Monie, alienated young players (Griffin, Morrison, Brooks, Thomas), focused entirely on recruiting Aussie players and fans, generated no additional income and showed no understanding of marketing. 

He happens to be one of David Hughes' best friends, so that's okay. The early signs are that they're going to continue making the same mistakes that brought them to this position in the first place.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#28 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

When Rea was CEO previously he moved the club around London, wasted the Virgin money, stiffed John Monie, alienated young players (Griffin, Morrison, Brooks, Thomas), focused entirely on recruiting Aussie players and fans, generated no additional income and showed no understanding of marketing. 

He happens to be one of David Hughes' best friends, so that's okay. The early signs are that they're going to continue making the same mistakes that brought them to this position in the first place.

I can agree that it isn't good, but at the same time, who else wanted the job given the unstability at Broncos?

#29 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

He didn't do a bad job at fev , they certainly upped a gear when he took over and were scoring points for fun... only bad result was when they lost in the playoffs to Batley , but on that day Batley were well up for it and deserved to go through and was 2nd best game i saw last season with only WC semi england v new zealand beating it

It pains me to agree, but yes that was the second best game of the year for me as well.

Long did a great job at Rovers, but whether he's ready for the big time is another matter.

#30 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

Sean Long doesn't seem to stay anywhere too long these days. I suppose with the state London are in, there are less people for him to fall out with.  

Longy has publically stated that he wants to be a head coach in Superleague one day.  I don't think he has fallen out with anyone as such.  He stayed at Salford for the duration of his contract there and no doubt would have stayed longer but for the fact that Nobby was appointed and his view of Nobby is well documented.  Wigan didn't appear to work out but I can well believe that Wigan's strict application of systems was indeed the reason for his departure, as mooted at the time, as Longy is a scrum half to the core and so would value a freer reign on the pitch than Wigan are likely to have given him.  Again, he stayed at Featherstone for the duration of his contract. In his playing days he always fulfilled his contracts and he stayed for most of his career with one club. So where the moving around and falling out stuff comes from I don't know!

He was undoubtedly a gifted halfback and had a real rugby brain.  If he has anything like the talent in coaching that he had as a player then it would be a tragedy if his skillset is lost to our sport.

#31 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

I reckon its an inspired choice I am more worried about the 11 players and Rea and his drinking buddy Hughes in the back ground.

At least they are completing the Broncos side of the deal and who knows, a couple of good money ball type signings and as said elsewhere, still in the 12 for the following season suddenly makes them an option to sign a longer term deal on better terms at Barnet.

If this is the last hurrah I think the fans, what's left of them, should get behind it and support it.

Longy's tactical brain got Salford on the front foot and made Fev look very good in attack, but like any other SL coach he needs a staff and a defence coach, he cant do it all, otherwise its another Cas/Hull KR, score 50 but lose by 10.

They have 11 players and an academy? Are there players waiting to step up?

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

They have 11 players and an academy? Are there players waiting to step up?

They don't have an academy and they have 6 known players (one of whom is injured).

#33 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

So where did the 11 they had training with Longy come from?

#34 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

So where did the 11 they had training with Longy come from?

I don't know. It is possible that they may have had trialists or signed players without announcing them.

#35 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

If there are signings then they are playing for contracts the following year possibly with other clubs.

A bit of a precipice usually brings out the best in a team, might be interesting how they start the season but the pre-season needs to be up and running now.

#36 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

As opposed to an ambitious young British coach?

I knew someone would pick me up on that! Who do you suggest?

#37 brooza

brooza
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

I knew someone would pick me up on that! Who do you suggest?

Sean Long.
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#38 Quinskolar

Quinskolar
  • Coach
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

This is the Broncos we are talking about. If it can go wrong they will make it go wrong. After yesterdays optimism we are back to the hang mans noose. We can't even commit suicide correctly!

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

"No deal as yet" according to Ramsdale.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#40 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

Have heard its getting closer to bring finalised. At Barnet. which is obvioudly nothing we haven't heard previously.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users