Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Steve McNamara's next job (merged threads)

Roosters bound?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

According to Chris Irvine

Posted Image

#2 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

Whereas, reported in this week's RL papers was that he was presently in discussions with the RFL about retaining his position as England head coach, possibly on a part-time basis.

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

I'll settle for McNamara heading to bath and Kyle eastmond comming back to league.

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

I'll settle for McNamara heading to bath and Kyle eastmond comming back to league.

I'll settle for McNamara heading to Bath

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 raceman

raceman
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

So will I

#6 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

I've had a Twitter discussion with Chris Irvine since I last posted and he reckons he is breaking an actual story, as opposed to a total fabrication (in the case of the Union v League game), which will be in The Times tomorrow and will also include confirmation from the sporting bodies concerned.

#7 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

Fair play to Steve for what he has done with the England set up but I don't think he'll be remembered as one of the great Rugby League coaches. Maybe he'll be more suited to Union
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Personally think that it is a shame that RL has so few opportunities for coaches. Steve Mac should have opportunities to improve as a coach and build on his World Cup experience, instead he has to go to union to earn a crust and all his experience will be lost.

We will always struggle unless we get to the stage where each SL club has 4 or 5 coaching positions available.

#9 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

I think he was out of his depth with England, but am still sad to see him go to union.

Shame. Hope he comes back to RL in the future

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#10 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

Personally think that it is a shame that RL has so few opportunities for coaches. Steve Mac should have opportunities to improve as a coach and build on his World Cup experience, instead he has to go to union to earn a crust and all his experience will be lost.
We will always struggle unless we get to the stage where each SL club has 4 or 5 coaching positions available.

That is spot on, there are just no pathways or incentives for coach from the bottom and now with Steve the top, as you say he should be kicking on from World Cup. I ain't his biggest fan but I'm a fan of stability, there has been an improvement and we are all talking again how good we were against New Zealand. Lets have stability and let the fella prepare for the next tournament. He is great at the planning and preparation, the national team need this.

#11 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:44 AM

I've had a Twitter discussion with Chris Irvine since I last posted and he reckons he is breaking an actual story, as opposed to a total fabrication (in the case of the Union v League game), which will be in The Times tomorrow and will also include confirmation from the sporting bodies concerned.

No-one will see it then.

#12 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

No surprise to me, folk from Hull tend to have their annual bath during the festive season.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#13 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

Whilst not over concerned about McNamara this general trend of coaches going to union is concerning.

Even at the lower level in my own area(Halifax) damien Ball and Jamie Bloem are coaching union teams.

#14 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

No-one will see it then.

Well, except those who read the print version anyway! 

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,618 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

http://www.theguardi...-sunday-news-uk

#16 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

I see in today's paper that Bath's Director of Rugby has just left the club with immediate effect as a result of a restructuring of their coaching set up, about which more will be announced in due course.

I think it is a loss to our game as was that of Bath's present coach Mike Ford.

There is no structure whatsoever for up and coming coaches in RL in stark contrast with RU and this is something which the RFL should be addressing with urgency otherwise we can expect clubs to continue to be coached by a stream of second-rate Aussies.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 10 December 2013 - 09:32 AM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

unions loss is our gain...............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#18 UxbridgeBunny

UxbridgeBunny
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

God help McNamaras replacement is all I can say, I give his replacement (if he def is going) 30seconds before people on here start slating him and the appointment.

#19 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

It shows the state of RU coaches imo, that they need to recruit another guy who has never played the sport

I will confess to thinking the post related to some charity event when reading the headline

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,073 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

Jerry won't be best pleased

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users