Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Steve McNamara's next job (merged threads)

Roosters bound?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#21 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

It shows the state of RU coaches imo, that they need to recruit another guy who has never played the sport

I will confess to thinking the post related to some charity event when reading the headline

It shows the state of RU coaches imo, that they need to recruit another guy who has never played the sport

I will confess to thinking the post related to some charity event when reading the headline

There's a few trainers in both games who have never played the game before as well.

#22 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

Nike or adidas?

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

Does anyone else think this is McNamara scouting for someone new to keep Widdop out of the England side?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm appalled this has got to page-2 and there are no terrible bathroom related puns.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#25 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

That's his career down the plughole then.......

Hope he doesn't get in any hot water ..............

First signing will be Hock to clean him up............

#26 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,641 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm appalled this has got to page-2 and there are no terrible bathroom related puns.

Post #12

I've emailed the moderators to ask whether a couple of rating points can be knocked off your score.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#27 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Its a real shame hes going because he brought a structure to the England set up sorely missing in the past

However all the experience is still there beneath him so I guess it will be a case of picking a rugby brain to improve those structures and player path ways and not a coach top coach a team, which the England set up doesn't need really - they should be up to speed when they land at Loughborough the rest is whatever the game plan will be and who in the opinion of the staff fits the roles better so different thing

Still think it needs to be full time and possibly based between here and Aus

#28 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

good riddance, lets not forget the shambles he caused with the england team, with a half decent coach we could have won it.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#29 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

If he's going "that way", can we have Shaun Edwards back as a trade?

#30 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 648 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

good riddance, lets not forget the shambles he caused with the england team, with a half decent coach we could have won it.

The shambles was the lack of professionalism shown by the players, those players available were not good enough to win the tournament unless NZ and Australia both seriously under-performed. 

If anything the England squad over performed at the WC. 

#31 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

At the beginning of the tournament, most bets would have been on England making the semis. They did that, and were a hair away from the final. They pushed a very good Australia side in the first game. So he didn't do too badly

#32 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

The shambles of being the only side to score against Australia in the whole tournament? The shambles of totally dominating the Kiwis but being knocked out due to a few individual errors and 2 moments of genius.

I don't see how it was a shambles. Fair enough it took him 4 games to get Widdop in at 6 but apart from that McNamara got most things right.

#33 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:22 AM

Jerry won't be best pleased

Every cloud and all that

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

Post #12

I've emailed the moderators to ask whether a couple of rating points can be knocked off your score.

I didn't think you'd sink to that.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

can someone scrub that last post?

#36 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

can someone scrub that last post?

I thought you were a Matey...

:(

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#37 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

What did McNamara do to deserve so much criticism? I agree he is quite miserable, but look what he did at the World Cup. We took the Aussies really close in the opening game despite several poor refereeing decisions, then were unlucky in the semi.

He has the backing of the players (from what I've read anyway) and should be able to have another crack at it. Can anyone remember an England side playing anywhere near as well as they did against New Zealand?

And say what you want about him not giving more information out about the drinking incident before the tournament started but that would have opened up an even bigger can of worms. Keeping it quiet was the best policy on reflection.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#38 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

I thought you were a Matey...

:(

I am. I helped him move the coal out so he could put the water in.

#39 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

What did McNamara do to deserve so much criticism? I agree he is quite miserable, but look what he did at the World Cup. We took the Aussies really close in the opening game despite several poor refereeing decisions, then were unlucky in the semi.

He has the backing of the players (from what I've read anyway) and should be able to have another crack at it. Can anyone remember an England side playing anywhere near as well as they did against New Zealand?

And say what you want about him not giving more information out about the drinking incident before the tournament started but that would have opened up an even bigger can of worms. Keeping it quiet was the best policy on reflection.

I'm with you on this one. Many fans are just fickle and like to criticize based upon some instant judgement that will never change. Gosh over at Leeds I still remember McDermott being booed when he went over to the fans during his first season and quite a lot still would rather him not be the coach irrespective of his success - Their opinion was formed and no matter what they only see that which reinforces that initial bias rather than a real objective view.

#40 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

The shambles was the lack of professionalism shown by the players

And the fact he saw fit to overlook some other great players in favour of loose cannons who were always at risk of screwing up on the field and off it.

The man's professional judgement is poor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users