Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Steve McNamara's next job (merged threads)

Roosters bound?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#41 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

And the fact he saw fit to overlook some other great players in favour of loose cannons who were always at risk of screwing up on the field and off it.

The man's professional judgement is poor.

I suppose picking Hock wasn't a brilliant decision. I don't think he would have gone into it wildly, though. There will have been calculated thought and perhaps some of the players with behavioural issues made promises they didn't keep.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#42 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

This may be something for another thread, but who would replace him?

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#43 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

This may be something for another thread, but who would replace him?

Where should we start?

Hanley, Robinson, Edwards, Griffiths...

#44 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

And the fact he saw fit to overlook some other great players in favour of loose cannons who were always at risk of screwing up on the field and off it.

The man's professional judgement is poor.

Can't agree there...and I am not alone by a long chalk.   

#45 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

If McNamara quits, the vacant England Coach post will probably only be a part-time position for the first few years.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#46 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Can't agree there...and I am not alone by a long chalk.   

I should stress that it isn't a slight against Steve McNamara as a person (he's an okay guy as far as I'm aware). But you must remember the furore over his selection, surely?

I remember when he was chosen thinking "you are kidding me". That they could not find someone with greater credentials, public profile, and gravitas was, and is, a mystery on a par with Stonehenge.

#47 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

The main mystery about Stonehenge is ... why didn't they build all of it out of Welsh stone?

;) :biggrin:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#48 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

the Welsh Nationalists found out and stopped the last few monoliths on the border

#49 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

I should stress that it isn't a slight against Steve McNamara as a person (he's an okay guy as far as I'm aware). But you must remember the furore over his selection, surely?

I remember when he was chosen thinking "you are kidding me". That they could not find someone with greater credentials, public profile, and gravitas was, and is, a mystery on a par with Stonehenge.

Previous incumbents  may well have had " greater credentials, public profile, and gravitas "  but were certainly no more successful and in most cases less successful. I was al the Eng V Aus, Eng v Ireland, Eng v Fiji and Eng V NZ games and not one of those reached the depths plummeted by Brian Noble's Great Britain side when they were trounced 44 - 4 by Aus at Elland Road on 27th Nov. 

#50 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Previous incumbents  may well have had " greater credentials, public profile, and gravitas "  but were certainly no more successful and in most cases less successful. I was al the Eng V Aus, Eng v Ireland, Eng v Fiji and Eng V NZ games and not one of those reached the depths plummeted by Brian Noble's Great Britain side when they were trounced 44 - 4 by Aus at Elland Road on 27th Nov. 

Oh, I dunno. Getting beaten by Italy was up there.

#51 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

he jusy escaped being sacked by bradford and got the england gig cos nobody else wanted it, if bradford had sacked him he would probably be a bus driver by now.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#52 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

No real loss. His tenure was mediocre at best. Whilst he had influence in a gallant WC semi final performance, the simple fact is that making the semi final was the absolute minimum to expect from a home campaign and upon reflection should be considered a disappointment given our historic form against the Kiwis on home soil. At the end of the day, over the last two months England played six matches and lost half of them, including one against a minnow - which just isn't good enough. Our history is littered with snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against the Aussies, but now we seem to be lowering the bar to also include NZ, a team we have regularly beat in the past. Putting the courageous and embarrassing losses aside (Italy anyone?), beating only the likes of France, Ireland and Fiji hardly creates a robust indication of future success.

We should be aiming for better coaches with a more proven pedigree than McNamara - McDermott, Wane, Hanley and even Kear have far more decorated CVs than Steve.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#53 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

We should be aiming for better coaches with a more proven pedigree than McNamara - McDermott, Wane, Hanley and even Kear have far more decorated CVs than Steve.

His CV should have nothing to do with how we have viewed his tenure as England coach. I have tried to refrain from entering these debates as too many people in my opinion are unable to change their prior conceptions and opinions on people. I personally didn't like McNamara's selection as England coach but he has changed my opinion. He inherited a pretty dire England set up and has fundamentally changed that and the playing style of the team. In 2011 and 2013, I have seen an England side that has defensively improved dramatically but has also severely trouble the Kiwis but more importantly the Australians in attack, getting outside both teams on the fringes and scoring consistently outwide. We haven't done that since the early 90s under Reilly. Yes, McNamara has made some mistakes both on and off the field in our opinions but it is plain to see that England have improved dramatically under him. Yes we may not have beaten the Aussies but we have a improved immeasurably. That is down to McNamara. Letting him go would be a poor decision as no doubt the next coach will be part-time, which will underdo much of the excellent work that has been achieved during the McNamara era.

Rant over... :)

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#54 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

His CV should have nothing to do with how we have viewed his tenure as England coach. I have tried to refrain from entering these debates as too many people in my opinion are unable to change their prior conceptions and opinions on people. I personally didn't like McNamara's selection as England coach but he has changed my opinion. He inherited a pretty dire England set up and has fundamentally changed that and the playing style of the team. In 2011 and 2013, I have seen an England side that has defensively improved dramatically but has also severely trouble the Kiwis but more importantly the Australians in attack, getting outside both teams on the fringes and scoring consistently outwide. We haven't done that since the early 90s under Reilly. Yes, McNamara has made some mistakes both on and off the field in our opinions but it is plain to see that England have improved dramatically under him. Yes we may not have beaten the Aussies but we have a improved immeasurably. That is down to McNamara. Letting him go would be a poor decision as no doubt the next coach will be part-time, which will underdo much of the excellent work that has been achieved during the McNamara era.

Well said. I would draw comparisons with Sir Bobby Robson and England.

-----------

Is the likely part-time nature of the role of the next coach due to financial reasons or the lack of a "proper" international calendar?

#55 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

I think you indirectly hit the point, but give McNamara too much emphasis. Some improvement to the England set up has clearly resulted from having a full time coach, rather than part timers in the past. However don't kid yourself that the team are now somehow better on the back of two defeats and being the third best side. We were actually beating the Aussies on occasion not too long ago and beating NZ more often than not. We've also made finals in the not too distant past on home soil - for some reason we are lauding a semi final loss over a humiliation as runners up, whereas the semi final loss may have just spared us the same fate. It's a sad state of affairs when the situation that England are in is perceived as a successful tenure for the coach. We are the third best nation and we were knocked out by a side who were massively outclassed in the final and we lost to Australia at their most rusty. I get the feel good factor of the WC has put rose tinted spectacles on everything, but there is a need to be objective.

Don't get me wrong, McNamara wasn't awful, but neither did his coaching abilities shine. He was probably better than expected, but only because expectations were so low to start with.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#56 RICHARD OLLETT

RICHARD OLLETT
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Steve Mac has joined the Roosters according to the SMH!!!!

#57 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

http://www.smh.com.a...d=1386851759609

Be a long commute to the west country that

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

#58 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

working link.

http://www.smh.com.a...1212-2zakl.html

And best of luck to him.. Glad he's staying in the game. One in the eye for chuckles Irvine if true.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 12 December 2013 - 12:51 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#59 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

Well I wish all the best. It can only help him develop as a coach and we need good English coaches.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#60 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

http://www.totalrl.c...-to-bath/page-3

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users