Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Steve McNamara's next job (merged threads)

Roosters bound?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

Warrington have won three cups and made two finals. Like comparing apples and pears.

Failure in Super League using your methodology.

#122 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

All this is very well put and i can agree with much of it , But the stuff about seeding and us doing as well as we were expected to do doesn't make any difference in the end, Perhaps in future we should enter with an expectation of being happy to play to par " so to speak ", We entered intending to win, We failed to reach the Final and therefor failed to win the Cup, How that is anything other than failing to achieve what you set out to do is quite beyond me.
If we are happy to somehow regard that as not Failure, Then we shall still be trying to beat them after i am long gone, and people will be coming on line and talking about losing as not really being failure again, becase we got closer than last time or we wern't expected to win.

It's not really about the coach for me, but seeing as you have brought it up. T Smith has won lots of things ,so it is reasonably to expect him to win more, S Mac has won what as a coach

The word failure to sum up our WC campaign doesnt sit quite right with me.
That absolutely was the right word in 2008 despite us reaching the same stage.

Im disappointed we didnt at least make the final but sometimes things dont go for you - thats the beauty of sport.

#123 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Im disappointed we didnt at least make the final but sometimes things dont go for you - thats the beauty of sport.

That's fair enough mate , I know what you mean.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#124 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

Failure in Super League using your methodology.

Noble analogy was based on being a nearly men in all comps. By definition England are closer to that than Warrington, because they haven't won anything or made a final under McNamara.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#125 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

2008 and 2013 may be different degrees of failure, but failure all the same. In my view, 2013 was actually the more disappointing despite better performances as having home advantage I don't see how anything but winning it is good enough. Yes, we may have still been underdogs, but you can't settle for being second or third best and be content.

Maybe my sights are set too high and I've been spoiled by following a successful club side for a good bit of the past 30 years. Howevet I just can't accept that an unsuccessful campaign can be viewed as anything other than failure.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#126 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

2008 and 2013 may be different degrees of failure, but failure all the same. In my view, 2013 was actually the more disappointing despite better performances as having home advantage I don't see how anything but winning it is good enough. Yes, we may have still been underdogs, but you can't settle for being second or third best and be content.

Maybe my sights are set too high and I've been spoiled by following a successful club side for a good bit of the past 30 years. Howevet I just can't accept that an unsuccessful campaign can be viewed as anything other than failure.

i always want progress and imho there was some in this wc.

#127 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

I wonder what counts a "success"?

Was SM set any objectives?  

What were they and did he meet them?    

#128 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

People loved the Kiwis for some reason, rating them as world beaters, yet their performances were no better than England's in the main. They were shown up against Samoa for large parts - did ok against France, PNG and Scotland and most people accept that they were 2nd best for much of the Semi final, and they were clearly miles behind the Aussies in the Final. Despite making the final, I thought the Kiwis were very disappointing in the WC.

Indeed, and with home advantage, and the best set of forwards for many years, we still couldn't beat them.

McNamara deserves a large portion of the blame for that, based on his failure to put out a settled team (Widdop had only played about 20 mins prior to the semi, and if I remember correctly, Sinfield was at hooker when it happened), and his appalling use of the bench in the semi.

If that merits a new contract then we really are happy to reward failure.

#129 Dogmatix

Dogmatix
  • Coach
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Quite apart from the merits or otherwise of Steve McNamara, how can he realistically keep tabs on the development of players in England whilst working full time on the other side of the world? 

He may well have half a team playing in that competition, but it's getting the right people from the domestic game that will be key to future success. We know what the NRL players can do, they were mostly top players before they went. What happens to the train on squad etc?

Have a part time national coach by all means, let coaches learn their trade in the NRL too if we must, just let's not have the two at the same time.

#130 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

I think this could be a really positive move. Steve McNamara has a chance to coach in the best league in the world, learn new skills and define his own coaching philosophy. He'll without doubt have people remaining in England to keep an eye on the Super League-based international players and up-and-coming juniors whilst being relatively close to the Burgesses, Graham, Tomkins and the like.

Steve deserves to build on the World Cup and I think being out in Australia can really help him - he'll also learn how to better deal with the media.

Good luck to him.  

#131 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

I wonder what counts a "success"?

Was SM set any objectives?  

What were they and did he meet them?    

Fair comments, and something we don't know.

My view is that not winning is failure, But i do accept there are degees of Failure, Indeed employing someone who has won nothing as a coach, could be seen a failure on someones part.

I would think most people would want us to start thinking about appointing Winners,

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#132 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Quite apart from the merits or otherwise of Steve McNamara, how can he realistically keep tabs on the development of players in England whilst working full time on the other side of the world? 

He may well have half a team playing in that competition, but it's getting the right people from the domestic game that will be key to future success. We know what the NRL players can do, they were mostly top players before they went. What happens to the train on squad etc?

Have a part time national coach by all means, let coaches learn their trade in the NRL too if we must, just let's not have the two at the same time.

Maybe another member of the England coaching staff (Deacon) will be tasked with looking after the UK based players. Or maybe they are looking to get Wellens more involved seeing how he will in all likelihood be a bit part player for Saints in 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users