Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who do we want to sign?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

That doesn't have to happen , but a third top championship quality half would give you that option , and it's good to have the players to play different styles without diluting quality . And if we had that , Lupton at 13 would give three ball players and more dimensions and problems for the opposition in shutting us down . I think Peter plays his game regardless of number really . I'm just saying more quality gives options , not that this or that should happen . I agree Karl's 20 runs and 50 tackles is plan A at the back of the scrum .

Edited by DavidM, 11 December 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#22 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

Any game peter has played at 13, hes basically been used as another 2nd rower, battering the ball in, so its a complete waste of his talents. I wouldnt use him there ever to be honest, plenty of options at 13. Olstrum, duersden, rooney, stack, shacks, morris etc
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#23 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

Well if that's the case that's poor coaching and tactics because he pretty much is and has been a 13 and has the perfect game to play there ! He embodies the traditional ball playing 13 , slowly being squeezed out by the workhorse or third prop type in the game generally it seems . I think we do need more flexibility and dimensions in our game next season . The ability to adapt and shift positionally without being weakened through good squad strength , hopefully giving more attacking options if needed .

Edited by DavidM, 11 December 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#24 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

Lupton to loose? So our play maker take him out of the equation? I don't think that will happen, olstrum is our loose with big duerden sure to fill in there too

I didn't say to take him out of the equation if we can sign another quality half we could put him there as another ball player, all I said was maybe put him there

#25 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

We tried that with coyle didn't work - 3 maximum half backs I'm afraid - too many options - too many changes

#26 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

WOULD like to see us give Conner a good spell at stand off and show the form we all expected of him,Lupton and him have both got a decent kicking game,

#27 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

Whatever the scenarios I'll be interested to see what they do with Connor this year as well .

#28 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

1, 6, 7 and 9 are your main ball players now. !3 is another 'proper' forward e.g Gallen, Burgess

#29 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

WOULD like to see us give Conner a good spell at stand off and show the form we all expected of him,Lupton and him have both got a decent kicking game,

Agreed, don't see him as a centre

#30 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Just having a look at our pack now PROPS Coward Rowlandson McAVOY second row Stack Phillips Shackley Morris   LOOSE FOWRARD Olstrom Duerden HOOKER Matty Lucock  Full Back Carter  WINGERS Miller Haney CENTRE Rooney Mossop Connor HALF BACKS Callum Lupton Forber Looking at that to me we need to get 2 props, Full Back, ,Winger.  

#31 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

Half back , centre ...Forber is not a consistent top 8 championship level player so that leaves two of necessary quality , and those centres are solid , defensively sound and strong but not frightening defences with their strike power . We must look at both ends of that rope for me this season ... The delivery from the centre to the fringe , and the output of the outside backs at the other end . A couple of players with the skills to sharpen our back line will make a big difference , as our pack is traditionally strong

Edited by DavidM, 12 December 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#32 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Ive heard a few contrasting reports on rowlandson, some say he has a lot of improving to do to make it at our level, others say he is a good signing. Lets he he starts strongly and runs his weight, because lets be honest weve had big props in the past, who have been known to trip over daisies. Ive never seen him play so cant comment but he seems the bigger risk of all our signings.

#33 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

I've heard exactly the same . Some don't sound good at all but we can but wait n see

#34 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Yes Dave your right we could do with a good strike  centre ,but what happens if Brett gets an injury, Miller comes back leaving us short on the wing,lets hope we can get Flynn and maybe hulme back 

#35 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

Oh yes I'm not saying instead of a winger , as well as . Greedy I know !

#36 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

I think Mossop should be given a go on the wing if we get an injury, his defence is sound and his pace is decent and I just think he is slightly lightweight for a centre. Not that he doesn't do a good job at centre when playing tho.
As far as Rowlandson goes I just hope it was Charlo that gave big Kris the belief that turned him into to one of our best props. Because surely if his belief is there he has the size to run through anyone.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#37 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Any word then? Ain't slept a wink

#38 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

Any word then? Ain't slept a wink

hope we do get a signing today, but I wont be holding my breath. Weve heard these rumours a lot over the last few years, and you wait for the paper and theres nothing.

#39 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Personally I think Mossop should be injury cover this season . We must be looking to inject more zing into the backline and to me that's gotta to come from new blood . Mossop isn't a strike centre or , as we seen in a couple of games , a potent finishing winger . Yes he's a good defender , everyone says , but I think as we look to progress we need more than that now from players who we're looking at to put our points on the board . No sleight on him , he's an ideal squad player but every club needs to evolve and strengthen where they are weakest

#40 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

Well I haven't got a star but I guess nowts happened !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users