Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who do we want to sign?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

As I say, never hold your breath where town rumours are concerned

Edited by wonky, 13 December 2013 - 02:32 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#42 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 836 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

Well there go's my Xmas wish up the spout,nothing in the papers again but, there is a big spread about Houghton coaching the kids at Whitehaven.I thought it was to much to ask for, but I tried and feel really let down having to wait until January for our supposedly 4or5 players to come in,I know the board will be working hard to get the right people in but I am ###### off with the lack of content to the the news&star.Has for us town fans it is bloody hard to read the Evening star every night when all we get is whats going on at Whitehaven,i wouldn't bloody mind if they said a lot of piffle but at least that they were saying something,a good PR man would be saying this and that about who town were looking at or interested in but we get sweet FA,SURELY there must be something just to give us town fans to get EXITED about,but,it seems like they just want to keep there cards close to their chests and hope we all come down on opening day in the thousands,I always say some news is better than no news and the fans from old who came in their thousands to support the world cup will be waiting with baited breath about whats going on at DP in anticipation of new signings coming in,I believe their anticipation will be wilting right now because of no news from the club and I myself would be saying"well if they cannot be bothered to let us fans know whats going on,why should I be bothered to go down to DP if they cannot be bothered to tell us anything,anything",that's all we want,some news please.Merry xmas to all town fans old AND new and hopefully a very Happy New Year especially in January hahahahahaha. :santa: :santa:  :kingxmas: PS.Merry Xmas to the B.O.D. and a Happy New Year to you all,and I know I might be a boring #### and I know you work hard for the club,but ,I work hard has a town fan trying to get people to come down to DP.

Edited by troutmaster, 13 December 2013 - 04:14 PM.

Posted Image

#43 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

They seem to be more successful signing players (albeit in January rather than wasting contract money for the months that there aren't any games) than anyone has been trying to encourage people to Derwent Park though.....

#44 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

Lets all judge the signings, board etc after the season. Not 3 months before a ball is kicked

#45 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

Fully agree Wonky. They haven't let us down in previous seasons so why should it change now.

Let's hope it doesn't

#46 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

It doesn't have to be about signings to get some news in the papers after all Haven seem to do very well with scoops like JJP's haircut and now a Haven player to coach kids, whoever would have thought that!!!!  

In todays T & S the Reds had the main story on the front page, plus three quarters of the back page and half of the inside back page.   Even the Comets had twice as much as us on the back page plus a blog on the inside.   We had a couple of paragraphs at the bottom corner of the back page.   I have in the past complained to the Editor and it always comes back that they can only publish what they get told.   They have in the past made excuses about it being the close season for Town but that doesn't seem to apply for the Comets or the Reds when it's their close season

As troutmaster says most of the impetus from the World Cup has been lost with many people who took an interest in the matches, which is a shame.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#47 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

Is that a fact or just an opinion. That's very difficult to quantify. I know plenty of people over there and their kids are still talking about it and they still mention it when I speak to them so I would say that's more of an assumption.

I'll know more for definite when I get back for Xmas but I think those games will live long in the memory.

#48 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

That's not to say we couldn't do with more info at times. Personally I'd rather have less factual information than ###### on a regular basis.

#49 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm not so sure your right Keith, apparently season ticket sales are well ahead of last year with quite a few from outside of allerdale. People need to take a step back and realise our board us made up of people with real jobs doing the best they can in there own spare time for nothing more than the love of our club. Cut them some slack.

#50 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

However things come together ultimately , I agree with Keith that communication , especially in the offseason when interest needs maintained , needs to be kept going and the link between club and fan kept strong . Even it's just repeated encouragement and reassurance about things . We're not a secret society , and at times wild rumour and tripe seep into the gaps . Even a tripe rebuttal would be useful !

Edited by DavidM, 13 December 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#51 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

But if they comment on one rumour they will then be expected to comment on every rumour. They would spend more time issuing statements than trying to sign players. I agree more communication on other things is needed, but I prefer they keep schtum until signings are made.

#52 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

I'm not so sure your right Keith, apparently season ticket sales are well ahead of last year with quite a few from outside of allerdale. People need to take a step back and realise our board us made up of people with real jobs doing the best they can in there own spare time for nothing more than the love of our club. Cut them some slack.

I agree, most in not all of the board would have been involved in the biggest sporting event the area has just held, and just months after the season ended and having family's and jobs to see to, I'm sure if a few people have some spare time on their hands the club would love the help.

#53 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

Any takers?

#54 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

Helpers won't have the craic will they . The people at the top in the know have the craic . And it's a two minute phone call when journalists ring .. It's just worrying when they say they get told nothing or little when they do . What's the preseason schedule ? What's the official line and plan with DR this year. ? With Widnes ? When do squad numbers need to come out and when do we plan to do ours ? There are many questions fans post on here which are interesting . Is not all about specific names being let out of the bag . It's just news and it's not asking for to much .

Edited by DavidM, 13 December 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#55 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

Nor is giving a few hours a week or whatever anyone can. It's easy for me to say as I don't live local but surely the club needs all the help it can get. The more people they have volunteering to do things that would normally cost money the more money they should theoretically have for players

#56 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

Fair enough . All the points being made are valid and not necessarily contradictory .

#57 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Why should we give a paper who dont give two hoots about us stories to sell? Even when town win games they choose to pick all the negatives out like the hewer abuse etc. Maybe the site could give out more info like they did last season. But no news is good news and when we get some big signings in (which we will do) then we should make the big splash. Honestly is brett carter waxing his legs or peter lupton growing a beard stories going to bring fans back? Definitely not so why release daft pointless stories.

#58 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

So we've signed no one,... Great

#59 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:19 PM