Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

the supposed french tv deal?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

Any one got any inside gossip is it pie in the sky talk the bein wc coverage was super but will they pay for possible toulouse inclusion into new superleague/championship tiering.

#2 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

Lets hope Canal+ can get in bed with rugby league now that it looks like French union clubs will take the €80-€100 million deal from Bein Sport.

http://www.lefigaro....00-millions.php

#3 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

Canal + have union so far up their arses they would not jump into bed with French league. There are strong forces at play to keep league at bay. Bein Sport would be the FFR13's only hope and why they can't see how much league is better for TV is beyond me. I've tried to watch Top 14 and it is woeful. With half that proposed investment televising union, Bein could bring some clubs like Lyon, Montpellier, Marseille, and a Paris club and televise & promote an Elite FFR13 comp.

#4 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

All leagues wants is maybe 15 million at best

#5 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Canal + have union so far up their arses they would not jump into bed with French league. There are strong forces at play to keep league at bay. Bein Sport would be the FFR13's only hope and why they can't see how much league is better for TV is beyond me. I've tried to watch Top 14 and it is woeful. With half that proposed investment televising union, Bein could bring some clubs like Lyon, Montpellier, Marseille, and a Paris club and televise & promote an Elite FFR13 comp.

What are you talking about? Union have just terminate their Canal+ deal worth €31 million a season by two years short of a five year deal and have offer the rights for all broadcasters to bid which they are looking at €100 million a season from Bein Sport. Its not up to Bein sports to run RL in France or bring back some old clubs from the grave.

#6 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

I'm not saying union shouldn't look after their own interests but as someone suggested Canal + could provide an opportunity. And in any real world where league once was strong in France, a fraction of that budget Canal + were prepared to plunge on union, they could invest in a ready made TV sport, rugby league. A fraction of that figure could see a decent comp with 3-4,000 crowds. Union went from under 3,000 average in 1999 to 15,000 today. League could easily emulate that but no media/TV company is willing to look at a bigger picture. We just ain't got the 'friends' in high places in countries like France. 

Again, Top 14 is a borathon and it wouldn't take much for an exciting Elite XIII comp to sway French minds. In recent years there have been promising examples of this.

#7 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'm not saying union shouldn't look after their own interests but as someone suggested Canal + could provide an opportunity. And in any real world where league once was strong in France, a fraction of that budget Canal + were prepared to plunge on union, they could invest in a ready made TV sport, rugby league. A fraction of that figure could see a decent comp with 3-4,000 crowds. Union went from under 3,000 average in 1999 to 15,000 today. League could easily emulate that but no media/TV company is willing to look at a bigger picture. We just ain't got the 'friends' in high places in countries like France. 

Again, Top 14 is a borathon and it wouldn't take much for an exciting Elite XIII comp to sway French minds. In recent years there have been promising examples of this.

I'm not sure what your point is but union have had a decent national competition in France for many years and also international games. They have built a platform for the sport in years to have broadcasters like canal+ and others investing money in it unlike rugby league. Every sports is a ready made tv sport depends on who is watching, if you haven't notice rugby union has a strong ratings at club and international level in France. 

RL has got to get their act together and get something going for broadcasters to buy into it. I actually like watching top 14 and French heineken cup games and even the French like it as well unlike you I'm a fan of the sport as well. What are those primary examples are you talking about?

#8 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

This is about league not union

#9 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Catalan Dragons, 17,000 plus in Avignon RLWC, 11,000 plus for RLWC in Perpignan, 16,000 v Ireland in Avignon, 17,000 in Barcelona (for Catalans game), all show potential but TV media aren't willing to commit. I'm a fan of sport just not union. Despise it, won't hide the fact, and don't care if anyone disagrees with me.

If French union could once get under 3,000 average in 1999, the Elite XIII could get that on a sponsorship of a couple of million euro but no damn outlet is willing to stump the cash. A good example, with the ex union player & coach launching the Super Treize a couple of decades ago. Crowds averaged 10,000 yet no TV company would commit, sponsors were dissuaded from having anything to do with the comp (no doubt union's filthy hands in that), and it died. There was another example of potential. I even heard a Porsche dealership which wanted to sponsor a club, was fire bombed and subsequently withdrew.

I grew up in a union school, I know a bit about attitude toward league, and know that the French league will need a miracle deal to break out of its doldrums. I thought Bein Sport would be that but union seems to be throwing everything at rhem to get them on board. Shame as they are a Qatari enterprise not laden with baggage. Not saying it is all union's fault but they've had a big historical hand in many things.

#10 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

Catalan Dragons, 17,000 plus in Avignon RLWC, 11,000 plus for RLWC in Perpignan, 16,000 v Ireland in Avignon, 17,000 in Barcelona (for Catalans game), all show potential but TV media aren't willing to commit. I'm a fan of sport just not union. Despise it, won't hide the fact, and don't care if anyone disagrees with me.

If French union could once get under 3,000 average in 1999, the Elite XIII could get that on a sponsorship of a couple of million euro but no damn outlet is willing to stump the cash. A good example, with the ex union player & coach launching the Super Treize a couple of decades ago. Crowds averaged 10,000 yet no TV company would commit, sponsors were dissuaded from having anything to do with the comp (no doubt union's filthy hands in that), and it died. There was another example of potential. I even heard a Porsche dealership which wanted to sponsor a club, was fire bombed and subsequently withdrew.

I grew up in a union school, I know a bit about attitude toward league, and know that the French league will need a miracle deal to break out of its doldrums. I thought Bein Sport would be that but union seems to be throwing everything at rhem to get them on board. Shame as they are a Qatari enterprise not laden with baggage. Not saying it is all union's fault but they've had a big historical hand in many things.

Ok, so you wan't domestic French RL to get a TV deal but all you post were crowds from superleague and international games. Again your blaming French RL blight on the past wrongs by union but have ignore the facts about some French clubs going under due to miss managements and greed by some owners. Crowd average of 10,000? Mate, I'm not here to talk about all that don't have time for that but lets talk 2013 not 1949 and tell me if the French RL clubs are ready for a national competition without having to go under while doing it. Its a business for both union and the Qatari enterprise which history won't matter.

#11 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Well you sound like a 20 YO as the 10,000 plus crowds were in the 1990's for this comp. And I mentioned the international crowds, Catalans as an 'example' of potential. Surely you can't dismiss these because they were not 'local' club crowds.

Anyway, you have your history trashed, assets confiscated, be banned from using the word 'rugby', not be allowed into schools (as little as a few years ago), no matter how long ago, and see how you would feel.

Lastly, not saying there have been faults within FFR13, there have been.  

#12 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Mate get back on track talking french superleague deal with toulouse french pro league pie in sky but top 14 is utter tripe. rather watch a league or ashes cricket hell even nfl stuff union.

#13 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Why would the other deals Bein sports make have any impact on the Dragons or SL? I have sure that Bein know they could get SL on the cheap and will be pushing hard to do so. It is called business. Hopefully, ratings for Catalans games have been good enough to keep them interested.

Edited by Scubby, 10 December 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#14 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

Mate get back on track talking french superleague deal with toulouse french pro league pie in sky but top 14 is utter tripe. rather watch a league or ashes cricket hell even nfl stuff union.

As said, it will be interesting if Bein Sport remain 'committed; to RL coverage if they go for the inferior code. I doubt, and common sense would say Canal +, suffering the embarrassment of a sport opting out of a TV deal earlier (what sort of contract would allow this? Oh we're talking the inferior code here so they probably have board members of Canal Plus on the board of the FFR), go for a ready made sport in Rugby XIII. I'm sure with an upgraded TV deal (only talking fraction of what they pay the other code), the FFRXIII could have a 10-12 club comp ready to go. 

#15 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

Well you sound like a 20 YO as the 10,000 plus crowds were in the 1990's for this comp. And I mentioned the international crowds, Catalans as an 'example' of potential. Surely you can't dismiss these because they were not 'local' club crowds.

Anyway, you have your history trashed, assets confiscated, be banned from using the word 'rugby', not be allowed into schools (as little as a few years ago), no matter how long ago, and see how you would feel.

Lastly, not saying there have been faults within FFR13, there have been.  

I'm not 20 just a bit confuse on which comp got 10,000 plus crowds, was it union or club league in France? 

#16 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Why would the other deals Bein sports make have any impact on the Dragons or SL?

The FFR13 had Canal + televising their local comp a few years ago. In fact I have tapes of many matches and the night matches were played before 3-4,000 crowds and the matches were great. They even brought cameras into the sheds before & after the games. Ratings were apparently good and fans were made in many parts of France according to the emails the commentators received as they mentioned the 'enthusiasm' in their broadcasts. It lasted only one season when Canal + committed to union the following season and opted not to continue building a potential growth sport! So, that's what can happen when a TV station commits to another sport not particularly friendly with Rugby XIII.

#17 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

As said, it will be interesting if Bein Sport remain 'committed; to RL coverage if they go for the inferior code. I doubt, and common sense would say Canal +, suffering the embarrassment of a sport opting out of a TV deal earlier (what sort of contract would allow this? Oh we're talking the inferior code here so they probably have board members of Canal Plus on the board of the FFR), go for a ready made sport in Rugby XIII. I'm sure with an upgraded TV deal (only talking fraction of what they pay the other code), the FFRXIII could have a 10-12 club comp ready to go. 

That is really is up to Bein Sport whether they choose union or or stay with league as I can see they're already shown union internationals, super rugby and NZ ITM cup as well as other domestic union comp from UK. If you knew or take time to read up on the top 14 deal with canal+ then  you might realize it was a five year deal with an option to put it out on the market after three years. Nothing wrong with it as the union clubs have now realized that canal+ have taken them for a ride and canal+ have up their offer to more than €60 million per season but its been decline by the clubs. Its call good business. Lets hope the French rugby league have something for the broadcasters than just if and buts.

Edited by Aucks Warriors, 10 December 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#18 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

The FFR13 had Canal + televising their local comp a few years ago. In fact I have tapes of many matches and the night matches were played before 3-4,000 crowds and the matches were great. They even brought cameras into the sheds before & after the games. Ratings were apparently good and fans were made in many parts of France according to the emails the commentators received as they mentioned the 'enthusiasm' in their broadcasts. It lasted only one season when Canal + committed to union the following season and opted not to continue building a potential growth sport! So, that's what can happen when a TV station commits to another sport not particularly friendly with Rugby XIII.

Oh I see its rugby union's fault. Was it also union fault that orange tv decided not to extend their ruby league coverage? looks like Bein Sport are interested in French superleague matches just not the local domestic games.

#19 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

In November 1994, Jacques Fouroux (27 times capped RU international, 8 odd years national French RU coach) announced the planned creation of a 'France Rugby League' competition which incorporated the amalgamation of French league clubs during summer i.e Aude, Aquitaine. Matches were free to attend and many attracted 10,000 plus crowds. As mentioned the corporate/media didn't jump on board and he was persuaded to concentrate on the Paris Super League entry as it was only one club to look after and surely the media would jump on board a flagship French club in an English comp! This was ill fated.  

#20 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Oh I see its rugby union's fault. Was it also union fault that orange tv decided not to extend their ruby league coverage? looks like Bein Sport are interested in French superleague matches just not the local domestic games.

French rugby league can only pay so much to a broadcaster to televise their games, it has a limited budget after all. It seems these media outlets are happy to take the production costs off the FFR13 for televising the local comp but when its time to say, hey the products good, lets take this further, they suddenly opt out. As mentioned the FFR13 don't have friends in most of the major media outlets. I saw potential of the great makings of a French sporting club comp a decade or more ago in the FFR13's Elite 1. Great games, enthusiastic crowds not far from their union counterpart at the time. But I'm not a French TV exec and I don't have the power & influence of the FFR down my back.