the supposed french tv deal?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

French rugby league can only pay so much to a broadcaster to televise their games, it has a limited budget after all. It seems these media outlets are happy to take the production costs off the FFR13 for televising the local comp but when its time to say, hey the products good, lets take this further, they suddenly opt out. As mentioned the FFR13 don't have friends in most of the major media outlets. I saw potential of the great makings of a French sporting club comp a decade or more ago in the FFR13's Elite 1. Great games, enthusiastic crowds not far from their union counterpart at the time. But I'm not a French TV exec and I don't have the power & influence of the FFR down my back.

Sound very similar to what the broadcasters were doing to domestic rugby union and rugby league comps in Australia and New Zealand. There's a different between the product you love as a fan and the products the broadcasters are looking for. 

#22 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

Dribbler, let me guess warriors fans whem blues and all blacks don't play

#23 Gambass

Gambass
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

France Rugby League

Only 9 events were scheduled during the 1995 'season', and only one attracted a crowd of 10,000 (if you believe the very dubious rounded figures reported)

#24 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

In November 1994, Jacques Fouroux (27 times capped RU international, 8 odd years national French RU coach) announced the planned creation of a 'France Rugby League' competition which incorporated the amalgamation of French league clubs during summer i.e Aude, Aquitaine. Matches were free to attend and many attracted 10,000 plus crowds. As mentioned the corporate/media didn't jump on board and he was persuaded to concentrate on the Paris Super League entry as it was only one club to look after and surely the media would jump on board a flagship French club in an English comp! This was ill fated.  

Are you saying union also had a hand in this competition's demise as well? Lets not forget that the Crusaders RL, Paris St Germain also had crowds of over 10,000 and still didn't guarantee their future. Just because crowds looked good on tv is no indication that it will score a tv rights on that alone.

#25 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Dribbler, let me guess warriors fans whem blues and all blacks don't play

Is it a crime in your eyes if some people support all three teams mention?

#26 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

Ok, so you wan't domestic French RL to get a TV deal but all you post were crowds from superleague and international games. Again your blaming French RL blight on the past wrongs by union but have ignore the facts about some French clubs going under due to miss managements and greed by some owners. Crowd average of 10,000? Mate, I'm not here to talk about all that don't have time for that but lets talk 2013 not 1949 and tell me if the French RL clubs are ready for a national competition without having to go under while doing it. Its a business for both union and the Qatari enterprise which history won't matter.

He was actually talking of around 1995, sorry haven't read all the thread yet, but I know exactly what he is talking about with the summer comp.

A certain person sent a fax through saying the game of xiii was not to play on the sacred turf lol

#27 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

He was actually talking of around 1995, sorry haven't read all the thread yet, but I know exactly what he is talking about with the summer comp.

A certain person sent a fax through saying the game of xiii was not to play on the sacred turf lol

Were all games played in one ground?

#28 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 663 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

In November 1994, Jacques Fouroux (27 times capped RU international, 8 odd years national French RU coach) announced the planned creation of a 'France Rugby League' competition which incorporated the amalgamation of French league clubs during summer i.e Aude, Aquitaine. Matches were free to attend and many attracted 10,000 plus crowds. As mentioned the corporate/media didn't jump on board and he was persuaded to concentrate on the Paris Super League entry as it was only one club to look after and surely the media would jump on board a flagship French club in an English comp! This was ill fated.  

Your are being economical with the truth. Only one of the 8 double headers had 10k (so 5k for each game). 17 games with an aggregate 'declared' attendance as 57k giving an average of just over 3353.

#29 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Were all games played in one ground?

No!

#30 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

i think the deal between union and its french broadcasters has to be sealed before the end of this month. the existing contract had a clause in it for them review it mid-term. canal have 5 million subscribers while bein sport have 1.5 million; with canal top 14 pulls i understand 750,000 av per game.i dont know if they're looking for exclusivity or not; may be this concept of buying games in batches.

charles bietry who i had high hopes for to get something for rugby league has i understand taken possibily a back seat or semi retired from bein sports. no idea how that is effecting any negotiations between the french fed and toulouse for tv rights deal. catalans i understand have bein on board for 2014. the deal they have is better i believe that anything canal previously offered - cost if i remember right about €400,00 per anum between the club & federation. bein now cover all production costs. they've covered the wc superbly well and show nrl.fingers crossed that the treize can come away with something.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#31 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

And there is a really nice quote about this from someone involved in the TV production at the time in the forbidden game.

He seemed to have worked something out when the games were cancelled, and why.

(^^^^  a certain someone above, he calls the book something else though at other places shhhh)

#32 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Sorry, I'm lost here, can someone explain clearly what is going on between Bein, Canal + and French yawnion?

And Audois, do u know if Bein have been happy with the response/ratings etc to their coverage of French RL ?

#33 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

Ok auck if the nzrl wanted a tv deal for domestic would they get it....the answer is no some games on maroi tv. france is no different of course only final of domestic cup on tv, france need at the least a tv deal to cover production so toulouse can join pro set up in the superleague.

#34 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

Sorry, I'm lost here, can someone explain clearly what is going on between Bein, Canal + and French yawnion?

And Audois, do u know if Bein have been happy with the response/ratings etc to their coverage of French RL ?

http://uk.eurosport....-112547119.html

#35 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

Why don't Bein TV set up a French SL?       Use their backing to get the French Elite league plus Catalans all full-time.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#36 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

Ok auck if the nzrl wanted a tv deal for domestic would they get it....the answer is no some games on maroi tv. france is no different of course only final of domestic cup on tv, france need at the least a tv deal to cover production so toulouse can join pro set up in the superleague.

NZRL have had tv deals in the past for national comps in Lion Red and Bartercard Cup before both tournaments went belly up. I suppose the broadcasters won't be rushing to sign up with NZRL unless they have something more solid and worth watching.

I thought Toulouse fate lies with RFL not the broadcasters. Will the Crusaders be invited back to Superleague if a Welsh broadcasters agree to a deal to show their games?

#37 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

France Rugby League

Only 9 events were scheduled during the 1995 'season', and only one attracted a crowd of 10,000 (if you believe the very dubious rounded figures reported)

I seem to remember that admission was free (I'll have to look up my old Open Rugby mags).

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#38 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Too much pie in sky bull ######, france need more full timers bring in toulouse at moment only casty, larroyer and fages at clubd outside dragons.

#39 Gambass

Gambass
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

I seem to remember that admission was free (I'll have to look up my old Open Rugby mags).

Yea, it was. Team sponsors - which were never found - were expected to pay for everything.

#40 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:28 AM

NZRL have had tv deals in the past for national comps in Lion Red and Bartercard Cup before both tournaments went belly up. I suppose the broadcasters won't be rushing to sign up with NZRL unless they have something more solid and worth watching.

I thought Toulouse fate lies with RFL not the broadcasters. Will the Crusaders be invited back to Superleague if a Welsh broadcasters agree to a deal to show their games?

PW, NZ does have a TV deal and you know it, so stop with the trolling.

New Zealand Rugby League signed off on a TV deal worth over $100 million, it's put in with the overall NRL deal that is valued at $1.3 Billion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users