TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

the supposed french tv deal?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:05 AM

Parra is this guy polesnesian warrior Lol
Comes across that way. You heard any inside gossip on french boards

#42 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

PW, NZ does have a TV deal and you know it, so stop with the trolling.

New Zealand Rugby League signed off on a TV deal worth over $100 million, it's put in with the overall NRL deal that is valued at $1.3 Billion.

Who's PW? Your the second person to call me that after someone on ERL facebook page which I'm a member. That's the NRL deal which included the Warriors and doesn't have anything to do with NZRL who are struggling which they raised in this pay rise for players in this article.

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10883837

#43 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Sorry, I'm lost here, can someone explain clearly what is going on between Bein, Canal + and French yawnion?

And Audois, do u know if Bein have been happy with the response/ratings etc to their coverage of French RL ?

Jim - union presently get €31m per season from Canal but now asking for may be €100m with bein sport entering the race. the latter reported to offer €80m but have presently a lot less subscribers. canal offer i understand €60m. talk of litigation now by canal v union. will be sorted by early january.

i might be wrong in thinking that the outcome here will affect league in france; i'm pretty sure that federation president zalduendo will have been talking with bein already. after soccer with €600m and union looking to trebble their take you have basketball with tv revenue standing at €6m and handball at €1.2m. The latter is popular in france but something of that magnitude for handball could deliver toulouse to super league. but bein have been a revelation in the 18 months since they arrived on the scene; canal where paid to cover the dragons for their first two campaigns. but bein sport sent four commentators over the channel to cover the world cup and provide magazine style back up programmes to complement live match coverage something canal never did.

i dont know what viewing figures they get but wouldn't be high nationally i think. still their last two matches shown at avignon & perpignan in front of full stadiums wouldn't have done the treize any harm. the rfl have i understand said that they will only take toulouse if their business plan is sound and there is tv revenue too. if they could one day secure three super league entities with avignon a decent bet you instantly have six french derby matches. only then can you start making a viable impact viewer wise. at the moment its just an english comp rather than a europeon one that lindsay envisaged.

Edited by audois, 11 December 2013 - 02:36 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#44 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

can someone illuminate me as to the current Bein deal? I know they showed quite a lot of SL & NRL last season.......is it going to be the same in 2014? I ask as I recently jacked in Sky Sports (think it runs out tomorrow or Friday) and see I can get Bein Sports (just 1&2) for a lot less than what I was paying for Sky&Premier.Obviously dont want to take the plunge if things arent set in stone.

#45 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

can someone illuminate me as to the current Bein deal? I know they showed quite a lot of SL & NRL last season.......is it going to be the same in 2014? I ask as I recently jacked in Sky Sports (think it runs out tomorrow or Friday) and see I can get Bein Sports (just 1&2) for a lot less than what I was paying for Sky&Premier.Obviously dont want to take the plunge if things arent set in stone.

the big selling point for bein is that it is a sports channel only; they've got i think 4 channels whereas canal have film & other stuff.canal with add ons is around €50 per month as against beins €11. the latter have targeted soccer and show the majority of frances ligue 1 games. their portfolio is impressive and obviously deep pockets.

i notice that bein show their rugby league content across its four/five platforms. i only know that the dragons are on board for 2014. wait & see if there are new developments in the new year. the status quo with sl & nrl and no tv rights is to me still the best deal they've ever had but obviously hoping for more.

Edited by audois, 12 December 2013 - 02:58 PM.

"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"

#46 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

6 derbys is almost a short season, hadn't thought of that but it works very well indeed for France, three regional teams

Is there the appetite and more importantly the finances for this in France?

If I were Sky I would be pushing this as well, a proper European aspect to their coverage, share the broadcast costs with bein, more revenue to the game, every ones a winner.

And in respect of what bein may or may not be offering I would be more interested in what they offer RL and not what they offer other sports, RL in France is a minority sport and it needs to start somewhere at the next level and bein are at least interested enough to be supportive

#47 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

More than makes up for a diminished London Broncos as well

#48 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

6 derbys is almost a short season, hadn't thought of that but it works very well indeed for France, three regional teams

Is there the appetite and more importantly the finances for this in France?

If I were Sky I would be pushing this as well, a proper European aspect to their coverage, share the broadcast costs with bein, more revenue to the game, every ones a winner.

And in respect of what bein may or may not be offering I would be more interested in what they offer RL and not what they offer other sports, RL in France is a minority sport and it needs to start somewhere at the next level and bein are at least interested enough to be supportive

as i mentioned earlier bein cover the production costs of games in perpignan; no idea what happened with wc games and what arrangements they have with nrl. think when sky show live games from stade brutus they take the live bein feed but they show far more live games across the channel than that so be interesting to know what they pay sky for that.

i check the toulouse web site regularly to see if there 'to in super league 2015 - here we come!'still features & it does. it would take avignon time to prepare; they won the lord derby cup last year and produce lots of decent youngsters. 2 big pluses for me is has little competition - even the ligue 2 soccer lot struggle with 2,000 or less. the last three internationals in avignon have pulled 14,000, 16,000 and 17,500. where else in europe could you go presently to match that interest. and yes the soa club have aspirations to follow that sl path.

#49 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

as i mentioned earlier bein cover the production costs of games in perpignan; no idea what happened with wc games and what arrangements they have with nrl. think when sky show live games from stade brutus they take the live bein feed but they show far more live games across the channel than that so be interesting to know what they pay sky for that.

i check the toulouse web site regularly to see if there 'to in super league 2015 - here we come!'still features & it does. it would take avignon time to prepare; they won the lord derby cup last year and produce lots of decent youngsters. 2 big pluses for me is has little competition - even the ligue 2 soccer lot struggle with 2,000 or less. the last three internationals in avignon have pulled 14,000, 16,000 and 17,500. where else in europe could you go presently to match that interest. and yes the soa club have aspirations to follow that sl path.

Do they? Any links or details?

I think Avignon would be perfect for SL, theyv'e already shown with the crowds they get for big games the appetite for top flight rugby league.

#50 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Do they? Any links or details?

I think Avignon would be perfect for SL, theyv'e already shown with the crowds they get for big games the appetite for top flight rugby league.

I've heard people at the local club discussing the subject on the radio and articles in papers up in Provence - internet sites here discuss it too. Being chosen by the WC committee to host a game this autumn is another feather in their cap. Toulouse, Perpignan and Avignon represent three different regions and departments plus city councils. You have the potential there to lock into three different public funding partners. Christophe Jouffret who is the CEO at Catalans also comes from Avignon and a former player there.

SO Avignon would take some time to prepare just like the Dragons did; they're struggling this year at the bottom deciding to dwell more on local recruits like Tony Gigot who has returned after playing in Australia and earlier at the Dragons, Ray Nasso who was outstanding in the WC for Italy plays there too, produced the shock of the season last weekend though turning over second placed Toulouse 29-22.

#51 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Une question pour audois si je peux:

Would the likes of BEIN not be put off somewhat by the perceived instability of the proposed new format, which would likely see at least the new French outfit playing fewer games against the big boys? This might be good in the short term but surely the French TV company, be it BEIN or Canal+ will want not just their two (and hopefully three in future) sides playing each other but also the cream of the Super League crop?

#52 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

Une question pour audois si je peux:

Would the likes of BEIN not be put off somewhat by the perceived instability of the proposed new format, which would likely see at least the new French outfit playing fewer games against the big boys? This might be good in the short term but surely the French TV company, be it BEIN or Canal+ will want not just their two (and hopefully three in future) sides playing each other but also the cream of the Super League crop?

exactly.

the rfl i understand have demanded a tv deal to permit toulouse's re-entry across the channel but into what? toulouse have aready played at the 2nd tier level 2009-11 and i cannot see them going back there and find difficult to imagine bein sport being interested in that scenario.also what if toulouse secured major local sponsors and bein sport funding giving them a possible turn over of say more than €4M from the off would that make them certainties in sl for 2015.

blake solley of the rfl was in toulouse earlier in the year & the quote i heard was that they where looking to sl to develop the game and toulouse in france. around that time wigan's ian lenegan was a guest of the club and spoke at one of their functions. my play on it is thats why guasch at the dragons has thrown his support behind lenagan on the restructuring issue.

Edited by audois, 14 December 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#53 Gambass

Gambass
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

Basically, bringing p&r back means that the french experiment in SL is over.

#54 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Basically, bringing p&r back means that the french experiment in SL is over.

How?
Posted Image

#55 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

A European Super League surely is only feasible in a licencing system.  With P&R I don't see how it works without strong domestic leagues and a willingness to drop into and be allowed into those domestic leagues.  Without such the team relegated in whatever country has nothing to compete at or a very weak domestic competition.

OK having teams from just France is not a European League but it has been mentioned in the thread and even if up to x3 France teams how does P&R impact and how does it impact RL as a whole in England.   

Edited by redjonn, 15 December 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#56 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

A European Super League surely is only feasible in a licencing system. With P&R I don't see how it works without strong domestic leagues and a willingness to drop into and be allowed into those domestic leagues. Without such the team relegated in whatever country has nothing to compete at or a very weak domestic competition.

OK having teams from just France is not a European League but it has been mentioned in the thread and even if up to x3 France teams how does P&R impact and how does it impact RL as a whole in England.

the solution for me would be a sle owned jointly by the rfl, wrl, frl and the clubs with an agreement on how many clubs each would get: two for France, one for Wales and 11 for England subject to ongoing negotiation. Essentially the same as the Celtic league in rugby union. How each partner fills those slots is up to them: France and Wales could have a license system, with England having p and r if they wanted.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#57 Gambass

Gambass
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

How?

For the french experiment in SL to be a long term viable option and to make any difference to the game over here, it simply just can't start and stop with the Dragons. There is a need for a pathway to bring more french clubs in SL over a set period of time (say 4 or 5 clubs over 20 years).

With P&R back, there is simply no pathway anymore (and on a side note I simply can't believe that bringing again a french team in SL2/Championship seems somehow still discussed). New french clubs will only happen with a full franchising or a licensing system .

And without any genuine rivalry for the Dragons to built on and without any shoot for the titles (with the club jeopardizing his middle/long term future for short term success -which is what p&R does the best), the fans apathy will continue to grow and ultimatly lead to the catalan side to fold.

By the way, I'll understand if the RFL/english clubs/sky/the general english audience don't want to go that way. But, otherwise, the goalposts need to stop moving and a long term developpement plan has to be agreed both sides of the Channel.

Edited by Gambass, 16 December 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#58 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

For the french experiment to be a long term viable option and to make any difference to the game over here, it simply just can't start and stop with the Dragons. There is a need for a pathway to bring more french clubs in SL over a set period of time (say 4 or 5 clubs over 20 years).

With P&R back, there is simply no pathway anymore (and on a side note I simply can't believe that bringing again a french team in SL2/Championship seems somehow still discussed). New french clubs will only happen with a full franchising or a licensing system .

And without any genuine rivalry for the Dragons to built on and without any shoot for the titles (with the club jeopardizing his middle/long term future for short term success -which is what p&R does the best), the fans apathy will continue to grow and ultimatly lead to the catalan side to fold.

By the way, I'll understand if the RFL/english clubs/sky/the general english audience don't want to go that way. But, otherwise, the goalposts need to stop moving and a long term developpement plan has to be agreed both sides of the Channel.

would that be 4 or 5 french clubs stuffed full of antipodeans??? because there is certainly not enough talent in france to field one competetive team in super league let alone 4 or 5...........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#59 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

Widnes full of rubbish aussies remember pal all widnes have to hold onto is the glory days of the late 80s no player in england with half a brain would play there now look at the bigger picture did you watch the world cup.....and see what impact the international game has on the game in uk....oh thats right worried about self interests just in case a french team keeps widnes from superleague.
If everyone had your view the game would be screwed and played in widnes, wigan and hull.
I seen you posted scotland as a more viable option you are kidding you should be banned from posting anything in regard to catalans or france.

#60 Gambass

Gambass
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

would that be 4 or 5 french clubs stuffed full of antipodeans??? because there is certainly not enough talent in france to field one competetive team in super league let alone 4 or 5...........

Tomorrow ? Yes, obviously. In 20 years, maybe, maybe not. I don't know, but that's hardly the point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users