Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BBC launches new HD TV channels

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

BBC launches five new HD channels

The BBC has brought forward its launch of five new subscription-free HD channels in time for Christmas.

The new channels, which will launch on Tuesday, are BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, BBC News HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD.

They will all be available on Freeview HD, Sky HD, Freesat HD, YouView, and Virgin Media.

BBC4 HD! :) I may have to shell out for a new TV.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Cool, I need to figure out how to re-tune my freesat to get these channels.

28m391z.jpg

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

BBC launches five new HD channels

The BBC has brought forward its launch of five new subscription-free HD channels in time for Christmas.

The new channels, which will launch on Tuesday, are BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, BBC News HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD.

They will all be available on Freeview HD, Sky HD, Freesat HD, YouView, and Virgin Media.

BBC4 HD! :) I may have to shell out for a new TV.

I may have to shell out for a new TV.

Save your money - 4K is on its way!

see http://www.whathifi....ou-need-to-know

#4 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

Any idea on Sky channel numbers for the new BBC services?

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

HD is a con.

You get a new dish when you install it and, yes, the HD format programmes (HDMI TV channel & skybox)  look brilliant but on the previously-used AV format (AV TV channel & skybox), the picture is much worse than it was before.

I've given up recording programmes on a DVD player, because the picture quality is so low. Thus, you can only watch pre-recorded shows via your skybox.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

HD is a con.

You get a new dish when you install it and, yes, the HD format programmes (HDMI TV channel & skybox)  look brilliant but on the previously-used AV format (AV TV channel & skybox), the picture is much worse than it was before.

I've given up recording programmes on a DVD player, because the picture quality is so low. Thus, you can only watch pre-recorded shows via your skybox.

What connectors are you using to connect the box to the TV? My sister has a Sky+ box, but her TV doesn't have a HDMI socket, so it's connected by SCART. HD looks terrible on it!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

Any idea on Sky channel numbers for the new BBC services?

Should be the existing channel numbers they were on - the SD versions will shift further down the guide

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

What connectors are you using to connect the box to the TV? My sister has a Sky+ box, but her TV doesn't have a HDMI socket, so it's connected by SCART. HD looks terrible on it!

Just had a look. Two cables fitted by Sky and a scart to my dvd recorder.

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Just had a look. Two cables fitted by Sky and a scart to my dvd recorder.

SCART is an analogue connection, so what you are feeding your DVD recorder is downsampled in quality. Your recorder may have digital sockets, which you may want to try out. Of the likely ones you may have, Component will give good good quality, but it means a lot of cables (3 for video, 2 for audio).

HDMI is best, if you have it, for TV and DVD recorder - just one cable does the lot.

Edited by Futtocks, 10 December 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

BBC and HD and Sky aside, I'm still baffled and a little concerned that in this day and age we can't transfer programmes from one Sky box to another.

And that they removed Sky text. <_<

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

I did ask a Sky engineer last year about image quality when he replaced a dead Sky box, he said that there's a definite trend in Sky getting its manufacturers to put cheap SCART connectivity in the boxes as they want everyone using HDMI.  His view was that SCART as implemented in the Sky boxes just can't do anywhere near a good enough job of displaying HD telly and he'd always recommend using component cables over SCART.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

Anything that isn't HDMI is a 'legacy' connection now, just for people with old TVs or recorders.

#13 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

BBC and HD and Sky aside, I'm still baffled and a little concerned that in this day and age we can't transfer programmes from one Sky box to another.

And that they removed Sky text. <_<

Sky Text went a while ago, shame really as now I have to logon to find NHL scores

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

Sky Text and ITV's Teletext were both useful. However, they took staff to maintain, and where there's money to be saved...

BBC Digital Text is still a useful resource, but it's scaled back a lot from what was on Ceefax.

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

Anything that isn't HDMI is a 'legacy' connection now, just for people with old TVs or recorders.

A friend of mine built a computer using some pretty decent spec technology to ensure the very best image capture and uses it as a digital recorder for his Sky box, he refuses to pay the money for Sky+ functionality but can't abide the poor analogue quality of video recorders.  I asked him how much it cost to build his kit and it was just shy of £1000, that's 8 and a third years of Sky+ he could have paid for...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Curiously enough, Sky yesterday sent me a letter to say they are coming to set up my new broadband and HD system. Today, they have sent me a new wireless router via registered post.

Unfortunately, it's for someone else and Sky has somehow got him down as living at my address!!

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

Curiously enough, Sky yesterday sent me a letter to say they are coming to set up my new broadband and HD system. Today, they have sent me a new wireless router via registered post.

Unfortunately, it's for someone else and Sky has somehow got him down as living at my address!!

I'm pretty sure that will be resolved. T'other person will question his purchase, correct his address and then you may be charged.

Also, can someone accept mail that isn't intended for them?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 brian broadmoore

brian broadmoore
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

Ive got a black and white tv and cant find where the hd cable goes

#19 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm pretty sure that will be resolved. T'other person will question his purchase, correct his address and then you may be charged.

Also, can someone accept mail that isn't intended for them?

The postman has been on our street for years and he knew it wasn't for me. He also presumably it wasn't any of my neighbours or he would have delivered it to the right property.

Under the new post office system, returned parcels have to be collected from Leeds (15 miles away) or arranged to be re-delivered to  your local post office.

If the postman had taken it back, the proper Sky client wouldn't have got his router in time for the appointment time. The Sky appointment letter gives details of the proper purchaser's mobile phone and e-mail account.  I've rung Sky and they are trying to sort things out. 

#20 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

Ive got a black and white tv and cant find where the hd cable goes

Next door has got a black and white cat. I think I've found the right spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users