BBC launches new HD TV channels

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

The postman has been on our street for years and he knew it wasn't for me. He also presumably it wasn't any of my neighbours or he would have delivered it to the right property.

Under the new post office system, returned parcels have to be collected from Leeds (15 miles away) or arranged to be re-delivered to  your local post office.

If the postman had taken it back, the proper Sky client wouldn't have got his router in time for the appointment time. The Sky appointment letter gives details of the proper purchaser's mobile phone and e-mail account.  I've rung Sky and they are trying to sort things out. 

Under the new post office system, returned parcels have to be collected from Leeds (15 miles away) or arranged to be re-delivered to  your local post office.

Round here, we have the Royal Mail option for redelivery to your home address on a day you know you will be in. Can be done on line.

#22 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

A friend of mine built a computer using some pretty decent spec technology to ensure the very best image capture and uses it as a digital recorder for his Sky box, he refuses to pay the money for Sky+ functionality but can't abide the poor analogue quality of video recorders.  I asked him how much it cost to build his kit and it was just shy of £1000, that's 8 and a third years of Sky+ he could have paid for...

Not sure if I am missing something but using my Panasonic smart TV I can record directly onto an external hard-drive that I picked up from Amazon for not very much. I don't have SKY so don't know if it would be possible to record that onto it but Freesat works fine.

28m391z.jpg

#23 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Sky has rung back. it has cancelled the order and asked me to take the router to the post office, for return to the address marked on the label.

The proper client will have to re-apply and will  probably not be best pleased.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#24 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Not sure if I am missing something but using my Panasonic smart TV I can record directly onto an external hard-drive that I picked up from Amazon for not very much. I don't have SKY so don't know if it would be possible to record that onto it but Freesat works fine.

It's all to do with HD transmissions and HDMI cabling.  According to the technology specification and licensing, each HDMI sender or receiver must ensure that the other end has the capabilities to take encrypted HD signals, if not then it automatically downgrades the output to SD quality whether it's an HD programme or not.  The knock-on of this is that commercial transmission and receiving kit, i.e. your telly, will happily receive and play HD transmissions over HDMI but won't output to any other source in HD unless it's also via HDMI.  My friend's rig has the Sky box sending to his recording device then onto the TV.  Works fine but then it does exactly what the Sky+ functionality does, albeit with a far higher storage capacity.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Round here, we have the Royal Mail option for redelivery to your home address on a day you know you will be in. Can be done on line.

There's an InPost parcel locker that's just been installed at the petrol station across the road from where I live.

It's supposed to be a secure drop-off point for parcels that won't fit through the letterbox. They email or text you with an access code when the parcel is ready to deliver, then you go to the locker and pick it up, rather than having to stay in all day or trek to whichever Post Office is holding your delivery.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

yes. see here: http://www.royalmail...mail/redelivery

#27 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

It's all to do with HD transmissions and HDMI cabling.  According to the technology specification and licensing, each HDMI sender or receiver must ensure that the other end has the capabilities to take encrypted HD signals, if not then it automatically downgrades the output to SD quality whether it's an HD programme or not.  The knock-on of this is that commercial transmission and receiving kit, i.e. your telly, will happily receive and play HD transmissions over HDMI but won't output to any other source in HD unless it's also via HDMI.  My friend's rig has the Sky box sending to his recording device then onto the TV.  Works fine but then it does exactly what the Sky+ functionality does, albeit with a far higher storage capacity.

I will have to have a look how the HDD is connected to the TV, pretty sure it isn't with an HDMI cable so I guess it's only capturing SD. This would explain why I can store so much on a 1TB box and still have lots of storage space left.

28m391z.jpg

#28 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

Any idea on Sky channel numbers for the new BBC services?

In answer to my own question, and to get back on-topic

CBBC HD 633

Cbeebies HD 624

BBC3 HD 210

BBC4 HD 211

BBC News HD 570

announced on BBC Text P998

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#29 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Does anybody know if you can record from a Now TV box onto an external hard drive?

28m391z.jpg

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

More developments from the BBC

1. Launch of BBC1+1

2. Revamped iPlayer with 30-day catch-up window.

3. BBC Store.

4. BBC Playlister.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users