Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

west yorkshire

merge the lot for 5 regions

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:57 AM

The arrangement has worked very well for almost forty years and all three towns have prospered. I think the same thing could happen if Lancashire agreed to rename itself Western Yorkshire.
;) :tongue:[/quote]

Don't even consider bringing us in gods county into your discussion, its wonderful entertainment reading your infighting, if you listen carefully one can faintly hear the swoosh of the handbags in the background of this thread.
"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#22 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

I'v e posted this before but some people won't know it.

Under the proposed 1974 local government reorganisation, Batley , Dewsbury and Huddersfield were to be merged into "Huddersfield" Metropolitan Borough. Batley  and Dewsbury weren't having any of that; they refused point blank to cooperate with the Local Government Commission.

Therefore, a compromise name of Kirklees Metropolitan Borough was agreed, after Kirklees Hall at Cooper Bridge, where Robin Hood is buried.

Come the reorganisation, there was a last-minute boundary adjustment to accommodate the line of the M62 and Kirklees Hall has ended up in Calderdale.

So Kirklees Council has ended up with the name of a place outside its boundary.

The arrangement has worked very well for almost forty years and all three towns have prospered. I think the same thing could happen if Lancashire agreed to rename itself Western Yorkshire.

;) :tongue:

I always thought that Batley and Dewsbury had nothing much in common with Huddersfield, same goes for Morley with Leeds and Ossett with Wakey.  I think a better arrangement would have been to amalgamate the above into an additional area based on Dewsbury.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#23 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

It was.

Also Bradford have now nicely got Dewsbury under control players wise and season ticket buses go to Batley and Keighley.

Huddersfield have Batley as subservients.

The situation in Calder is more fluent as they all fight to be top dog enough to supress the other two. That sadly may become the hundred years war.

But a stand alone Halifax is the best suggestion. Sadly they can't cut it now.

The situation in Calder is very fluid because it doesn't exist.  

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#24 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

Under the proposed 1974 local government reorganisation, Batley , Dewsbury and Huddersfield were to be merged into "Huddersfield" Metropolitan Borough. Batley  and Dewsbury weren't having any of that; they refused point blank to cooperate with the Local Government Commission.

Therefore, a compromise name of Kirklees Metropolitan Borough was agreed, after Kirklees Hall at Cooper Bridge, where Robin Hood is buried.

Come the reorganisation, there was a last-minute boundary adjustment to accommodate the line of the M62 and Kirklees Hall has ended up in Calderdale.

Informative post. I just have to disagree with this bit. I think many people believe Huddersfield did rather well out of it. IMO metropolitan boroughs are one of the reasons infrastructures are now so remote they're pointless.

Back on topic. When did RL stop being a community orientated game? I wonder sometimes what fantasies exist in some people's heads?

#25 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

I always thought that Batley and Dewsbury had nothing much in common with Huddersfield, same goes for Morley with Leeds and Ossett with Wakey.  I think a better arrangement would have been to amalgamate the above into an additional area based on Dewsbury.

My Grandma lives in Heckmondwike and she told me the other week when I asked how it's Kirklees which is mainly run by Huddersfield council but her postcode is Wakefield, also maybe her area code (01924).

Or summat like that.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

;) :tongue:[/quote]

Don't even consider bringing us in gods county into your discussion, its wonderful entertainment reading your infighting, if you listen carefully one can faintly hear the swoosh of the handbags in the background of this thread.

There is no God.

The closest thing is Google, and it you search for "God's County", you don't arf get a loada links about Yorkshire.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

perhaps if we get Bradford to play under hybrid rules of league/union/cricket   with a bit of netball thrown in  they could play against Kirklees and Calderdale with the losers  playing against a team from  Rochdale  in  Liverpool  .  theres no need to give the southerners a chance to spoil a new format of a game

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#28 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

I always thought that Batley and Dewsbury had nothing much in common with Huddersfield, same goes for Morley with Leeds and Ossett with Wakey.  I think a better arrangement would have been to amalgamate the above into an additional area based on Dewsbury.The situation in Calder is it doesn't exist.

Blimey Tro,

Take a drive from Fartown through Mirfield, Dewsbury, Batley on to Ossett through Wakey down to Fev and up through Ponte to Cas. Nothing in common???

As for Calder it exists now it's been accepted in RL circles as a word that means the Castleford/Fev/Wakefield triangle of RL clubs. Coined originally by Lyndsay it's grown because it helps people describe the area of the three clubs which is commonly discussed because it's one of the games most important areas that makes the biggest muck up going of those valuable resources.

#29 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,050 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

My Grandma lives in Heckmondwike and she told me the other week when I asked how it's Kirklees which is mainly run by Huddersfield council but her postcode is Wakefield, also maybe her area code (01924).

Or summat like that.

Dewsbury felt attacked on two flanks when it was supposed to become part of Huddersfield Metropolitan Borough and contemporaneously given a Wakefield postcode!

I had a friend from Skipton who was cheesed off because it has a Bradford postcode.

If I lived in Todmorden I'd be cheesed off because  it has an Oldham postcode.

When I worked for West Yorkshire County Council, our department was run as three divisions;

Western (Bradford & Calderdale), Leeds and Southern (Kirklees and Wakefield)

I think that would have been a more practical creation of metropolitan areas in 1974.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#30 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,050 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

I agree. I think the two London clubs should merge to enhance the Wasps as London Welsh are like the equivalent to HKR in league.

That ought to do it.

Sorry to have to mention RU, but London Welsh are still playing at Oxford and are looking to move there permanently.

London Wasps play at High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire.

Saracens and Harlequins play in London.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#31 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

The situation in Calder is very fluid because it doesn't exist.  

The situation in Calder is fluid 'cos it's a river.

#32 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

The people of the five towns didn't particulary want to be lumped in with Wakefield.  A bit of local corruption and gerrymandering won the day.  40 years on, we still don't like being "ruled" from WF1.

Another reason why Calder will never fly.

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,853 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

The people of the five towns didn't particulary want to be lumped in with Wakefield.  A bit of local corruption and gerrymandering won the day.  40 years on, we still don't like being "ruled" from WF1.

Another reason why Calder will never fly.

The five towns were part of the west riding county council local authority before then it's headquarters was in Wakefield

The area has been 'ruled' from Wakefield since the 1890s that's what that building at the end of wood street was for: county hall

The local government reorganisation covered the whole country

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#34 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

The people of the five towns didn't particulary want to be lumped in with Wakefield. Another reason why Calder will never fly.

And another reason why nobody will fly round "Calder" way if your right

#35 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

The five towns were part of the west riding county council local authority before then it's headquarters was in Wakefield

The area has been 'ruled' from Wakefield since the 1890s that's what that building at the end of wood street was for: county hall

The local government reorganisation covered the whole country

Each town also had local autonomy and it's own council, West Riding being in control of Education and Highways among a couple of other things. Rather like North Yorkshire is today.

Not like you to have a selective memory.

There are moves afoot in Pontefract to gain some level of independence from our WF1 based oppressors.

Back on the ignore list now.

Edited by Ponterover, 11 December 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#36 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

And another reason why nobody will fly round "Calder" way if your right

I'm sure the good people of Halifax and Hebden Bridge will be delighted to hear that.

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,853 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Each town also had local autonomy and it's own council, West Riding being in control of Education and Highways among a couple of other things. Rather like North Yorkshire is today.

There are moves afoot in Pontefract to gain some level of independence from our WF1 based oppressors.

Keeping it local

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,853 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

Keeping it local

#39 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,853 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Along with ;

Police

Fire

Ambulance

Social services(this being pre sebohm report incorporated children's services, welfare services, home helps and so on)

Public health

Civil defence

Highways

Further education

School health services

Libraries

Services for the aged and disabled

Training centres

Prosecutions solicitors dept

Traffic wardens

Health

And more

The city of Wakefield as a county borough carried out some of these duties along with street cleaning, street lighting

Pontefract and Castleford a non county borough carried out even fewer it had its own library for instancr

Featherstone knottingley, ferry bridge and others were urban districts and had fewer still being responsible for street cleaning, refuse collection, some aspects if public health

Rural districts like Ackworth: well I'm sure you get the drift

Most aspects of life in the five towns were the responsibility of the county council

All if these authorities charged their citizens a rate

It was recognised many years before the local authority act that the system was wasteful and over complex a d had already started to change years before with the amalgamation of police forces 

Where your allegations of corruption, gerrymandering and oppression come into it I'm not sure perhaps you expand on this should your own selective memory desert you again and you forget you are ignoring me.

What relevance your thoughts on local government have on rugby league I'm not sure

But I do remember Wakefield council buying post office road at a good price to save the club from oblivion and selling it back at a massive loss, as indeed they did with belle vue

there are those among us
who think that life is but a joke

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 11 December 2013 - 03:33 PM.

Keeping it local

#40 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

If I lived in Todmorden I'd be cheesed off because  it has an Oldham postcode.

surely you mean your heart would swell with pride everytime you used your address and saw that OL, a symbol of all that is good and wholesome in the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users