TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

west yorkshire

merge the lot for 5 regions

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

Tod is in Calderdale,has an Olham postcode, a Rochdale STD code -yet a lot of locals recognise Burnley as their nearest town.

#42 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

I was reading somewhere fairly recently that Todmorden up untill 1888 was half in Yorks and half in Lancs, This aparently caused some issues,( don't know what ) anyway they settled it with a vote and the good people of Tod quite naturally chose to be in Yorkshire.

What that has to do with Rugby i dont know, but there are as someone has said too many clubs in W Yorkshire.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#43 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

Who cares? You're all norvern monkees!

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#44 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,668 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Sedbergh was in the west riding of yorkshire but is now in Cumbria
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#45 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

surely you mean your heart would swell with pride everytime you used your address and saw that OL, a symbol of all that is good and wholesome in the world.

OL, or phonetically Oh 'ell

;)

Bradford has a population of 350,000 and has produced one Nobel Prize Winner. Todmorden has a population of 15,000 and has produced two. I used to deal with a bloke from there who reckoned it was really three. I can't remember why he was claiming the other one.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#46 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,406 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

Blimey Tro,

Take a drive from Fartown through Mirfield, Dewsbury, Batley on to Ossett through Wakey down to Fev and up through Ponte to Cas. Nothing in common???

As for Calder it exists now it's been accepted in RL circles as a word that means the Castleford/Fev/Wakefield triangle of RL clubs. Coined originally by Lyndsay it's grown because it helps people describe the area of the three clubs which is commonly discussed because it's one of the games most important areas that makes the biggest muck up going of those valuable resources.

Morley, Batley, Ossett and Dewsbury were the Heavy Woollen district, the shoddy towns. with a lot in common. I can't speak for the others but I know even today, 40 years on there is tremendous resentment in Morley that it's part of Leeds - there are even Morley Borough Independents on Leeds Council.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#47 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,406 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Tod is in Calderdale,has an Olham postcode, a Rochdale STD code -yet a lot of locals recognise Burnley as their nearest town.

the cricket team play in the Lancashire League too and they eat barmcakes!

#48 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,406 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Blimey Tro,

Take a drive from Fartown through Mirfield, Dewsbury, Batley on to Ossett through Wakey down to Fev and up through Ponte to Cas. Nothing in common???

As for Calder it exists now it's been accepted in RL circles as a word that means the Castleford/Fev/Wakefield triangle of RL clubs. Coined originally by Lyndsay it's grown because it helps people describe the area of the three clubs which is commonly discussed because it's one of the games most important areas that makes the biggest muck up going of those valuable resources.

The only towns with pro RL sides on the River Calder are Wakey and Dewsbury.  Cas is on the Aire - if it wasn't why would the housing estate that overlooks their ground be called Airedale and not Calderdale?

Edited by Trojan, 11 December 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#49 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

The old county boundary used to follow the course of Walsden Water, which runs through the town. Todmorden Town Hall was built over the river and the decorative carvings above the main doors mark where the boundary was.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#50 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 736 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:53 AM

As for Calder it exists now it's been accepted in RL circles as a word that means the Castleford/Fev/Wakefield triangle of RL clubs.

It really hasn't been accepted, in RL "circles" or not.

#51 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Sedbergh was in the west riding of yorkshire but is now in Cumbria

It's still in the West Riding but Cumbria Council supply services like bin-emptying.

People will confuse places with councils.  There's no connection.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#52 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

It's still in the West Riding but Cumbria Council supply services like bin-emptying.

People will confuse places with councils.  There's no connection.

They also do the same with postcodes, which equally have no connection.

The Post Office has never told anyone where they live, it merely asks that, if you want your mail delivered expeditiously then use its system of codes and post towns. In simple terms, your postal address is nothing more than an instruction to to postal staff on the routing an item should take to effect the quickest delivery. It doesn't, in any way, say that is where you live.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#53 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

OL, or phonetically Oh 'ell

;)

Bradford has a population of 350,000 and has produced one Nobel Prize Winner. Todmorden has a population of 15,000 and has produced two. I used to deal with a bloke from there who reckoned it was really three. I can't remember why he was claiming the other one.

Two Nobel Prize winning scientists no less, both of whom had the same science teacher.

Not to mention Keith Emerson and Geoff Love and their contribution to culture. :ph34r:

#54 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 661 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

You'll be telling us next that half of Oldham borough is in west yorkshire. :D

#55 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

You'll be telling us next that half of Oldham borough is in west yorkshire. :D

They wish :ph34r:

#56 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:49 AM

Morley, Batley, Ossett and Dewsbury were the Heavy Woollen district, the shoddy towns. with a lot in common. I can't speak for the others but I know even today, 40 years on there is tremendous resentment in Morley that it's part of Leeds - there are even Morley Borough Independents on Leeds Council.

Yes I worked for Leeds public works dept and Morley people are great,but when I worked there they told us in know uncertain terms they resented coming under LCC

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#57 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 661 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

They wish :ph34r:

That's the irony because it is. We annexed part of yorkshire in the form of saddleworth and so 1/2 of the borough of Oldham is in the grim county. The other half is in Lancashire.

#58 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

I'v e posted this before but some people won't know it.

Under the proposed 1974 local government reorganisation, Batley , Dewsbury and Huddersfield were to be merged into "Huddersfield" Metropolitan Borough. Batley  and Dewsbury weren't having any of that; they refused point blank to cooperate with the Local Government Commission.

Therefore, a compromise name of Kirklees Metropolitan Borough was agreed, after Kirklees Hall at Cooper Bridge, where Robin Hood is buried.

Come the reorganisation, there was a last-minute boundary adjustment to accommodate the line of the M62 and Kirklees Hall has ended up in Calderdale.

So Kirklees Council has ended up with the name of a place outside its boundary.

The arrangement has worked very well for almost forty years and all three towns have prospered. I think the same thing could happen if Lancashire agreed to rename itself Western Yorkshire.

;) :tongue:

If this is prosperity lord save us when recession bites!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#59 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

If this is prosperity lord save us when recession bites!

I think all three towns have emerged from the collapse of the textile industry better than Bradford has. admittedly, Huddersfield has done a bit better than Dewsbury and Batley.

One thing's for sure, Kirklees Council has done its level best to attract other industries and revamped some derelict areas to create new industrial parks. Bradford Council's just looked for more and bigger handouts from Europe.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#60 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

I think all three towns have emerged from the collapse of the textile industry better than Bradford has. admittedly, Huddersfield has done a bit better than Dewsbury and Batley.

One thing's for sure, Kirklees Council has done its level best to attract other industries and revamped some derelict areas to create new industrial parks. Bradford Council's just looked for more and bigger handouts from Europe.

If the rest of Huddersfield grew at the rate of the university it would be a city in no time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users