Supporters General Meeting 16/12/2013

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

...but after three emails to the evening news I have given up !

Not too surprised by M.E.N.'s/Barker's attitude are we?

Looked on their website the other day and found where club director Dave Roberts has posted his comments pointing out Barker's failings re M27. He (Barker) thinks the RMCH is still based in Hospital Road, Pendlebury.

Yours truly then jumped in adding a torrent of justified abuse toward numb-nuts Neil which was later censored and removed - just because it was all true and long overdue.

So I just added a little more to stir the pot having moderated my tone slightly towards his nibbs.

Click link below.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               http://www.mancheste...-retain-6394115

Edited by Blue Monkey, 15 December 2013 - 12:33 AM.

#22 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Can someone please do an update for me post meeting
I can't go tonight
Thanks

And of course for anyone else who can't...

#23 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

Happy to service your needs Mark!

There was a decent turn out, the top table staffed by Martin McDonough, Alan Marshall and Steve Wild with assistance from a lady from the Supporters Direct organisation.  No club officials were present.

Martin opened the meeting with a description of the existing situation with the club, to the best of the Trust's knowledge. A HMRC Winding Up Order is still extant and the court case is scheduled for mid January, the outstanding amount to HMRC being circa £17k.  Overall debt including that to other creditors was said to be in the region of £100k.  One of the other creditors is the LSV, in respect of rent for last season.  John Kidd has effectively left dissolution of the club in the hands of Paul Kidd.

The RFL has assisted the club by forwarding 3 months of central payments in advance.

The interested party in taking over the club is Dr Marwan Koukash.  Trust officials have met with one of Dr Koukash's representatives. It appears that Dr Koukash's interest is dependent on a number of things, most important of which is getting support from Salford City Council to take forwards a development of the former St Ambrose Barlow High School site and the footprint of Swinton Post Office.  The proposed development was said to include restaurant units, other revenue raisers and a ground for the Lions.  The expectation is that should Dr Koukash go ahead with the takeover, the Trust would not be directly involved in the running of the club.

It appears that all talk of developing a new ground at Agecroft has come to an end, the amount of available land at that site being insufficient.

Steve Wild had drafted out a template letter which attendees were encouraged to crib and send to their councillors.  The main theme of the letter being that the Council should support Dr Koukash's proposed development.

In parallel the Trust is preparing a contingency plan should it need to take over the club.  Various meetings with the Mayor, other Council officials and RFL officials have been requested, but thus far the success rate has been patchy.  It is likely a CVA would have to be entered into, short of administration.  There were various ideas mooted for fundraisers, voluntary efforts on matchdays to keep costs to a minimum, etc.

The Trust is trying to reach an agreement for a ground to use in 2014.  Enquiries about the possibilitiy of using Moor Lane have resulted in a firm "no" from Salford City FC.  LSV is likely to be too expensive.  Negotiations are ongoing regarding a realistic rent to play at Barton, whose useage is restricted by a clause in the contract Sale Sharks signed when they became tenants that restricts the total number of games that can be played on the pitch - there is some uncertainty whether the Sharks would be likely to invoke the clause or not.  Similar negotiations are also ongoing with Sedgeley Park RUFC about a possible return to Park Lane, a meeting of the Sedgely Park committee is going to consider the proposal in the next week or so.

Agreements with a skeleton squad of players have been put in place, to start in January.  Ian Watson is clearly intended to become the coach. There has been some speculation in the trade press that Warrington are seeking an alternative partner club for 2014 due to the ongoing uncertainties surrounding the Lions, but Paul Kidd has alledgedly received assurances from Warrington that they still wish to continue with the Lions.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#24 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

The long suffering Swinton Lions supporters deserve so much better than this continued saga of mis-management heaped upon mis-management.

On reflection I sincerely hope Dr Koukash gets his chance to pull off the development of St Ambrose Barlow High School and gets it right, as if done well its something the town desperately needs.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#25 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:49 AM

Thank you for the update.
Posted Image

#26 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Good luck to you guys.

RL needs Swinton.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#27 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

This 'agreement' that Sale have about the number of games played at Barton, does this include the Football games played by the Man U Academy who also use the stadium?

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#28 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Steve Wild had drafted out a template letter which attendees were encouraged to crib and send to their councillors.  The main theme of the letter being that the Council should support Dr Koukash's proposed development.

Good news. Having made enquiries with Martin, I now understand that this 'letter' is to be made accessible on the trust's website so that copies can be printed off as and when required.

:yahoo:

#29 Cliff Spracklen

Cliff Spracklen
  • Coach
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

Good luck to the Swinton Supporters Trust and fans from all at Bramley Buffaloes.

#30 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

Phil's summary is a fair one. Talks are ongoing between the Trust, club & potential new owner. The Trust must proceed for now on the basis that no new owner is confirmed, & that the current owners are no longer able to continue. Clearly the Koukash proposal is squarely in the hands of the Council, but on the basis that this would give us a wealthy owner & a ground in Swinton, the Trust favours it. Clearly we would then seek to have an ongoing & productive relationship with the Koukash camp, but signs so far on that issue are very promising. We believe the Mayor's input is critical to the outcome.

#31 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

Good luck Swinton fans. Best wishes for the club for 2014 season.

#32 Martin

Martin
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Phil's right in saying there was a good turn-out, taking into account the facts of short-notice, out of season, Christmas etc. I did receive a lot of apologies as well.

There was definitely a feeling of us all pulling together, lot's of ideas, offers of help.

On a personal note I'd like to ask that we all continue to pull in the same direction. There aren't enough of us to be falling out with each other, which I know is borne out of frustration over concern of the club we love. For me the fact that we've been out of rightful home for over 20 years, been here, there and everywhere and there are still people who care enormously shows that we must have some of the best supporters in the country.

#33 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for the details summary everyone..........

#34 Martin

Martin
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

ps I'm likely to be on Radio Manchester between 3-6.

#35 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Good luck!

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#36 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

If this comes off and Swinton are saved AND get a new ground with an investor in the wings, coupled with the renaissance at Salford and his links to Oldham, DR Khoukash will have single handedly resurrected RL in in the Manchester megapolis. The RL should give him a medal or something.

By the way, I certainly hope it comes to pass for you Swinton fans. I am old enough to remember the Lions being Div 1 and therefore RL champions twice and I have seen test matches and championship finals at Station Road so to see how far the team has fallen is sad and some good luck and prosperity is long overdue.

#37 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

Good Luck Martin and make sure the whole of the listenership understand that we have to remain in rugby league.

There is currently a partition being steadily built up on the Swinton Lions Family page on facebook, we have received messages of support from people in places such as New York and France and even from the trusts own President Les Halliday who has asked me if we will keep him up to date with matters and also offered any help he can give to us.

#38 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

Can you please post something if and when you can narrow it down within this 3 hours period?

Just tuned in to the station, I'm all ears Martin

#39 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

If this comes off and Swinton are saved AND get a new ground with an investor in the wings, coupled with the renaissance at Salford and his links to Oldham, DR Khoukash will have single handedly resurrected RL in in the Manchester megapolis. The RL should give him a medal or something.

By the way, I certainly hope it comes to pass for you Swinton fans. I am old enough to remember the Lions being Div 1 and therefore RL champions twice and I have seen test matches and championship finals at Station Road so to see how far the team has fallen is sad and some good luck and prosperity is long overdue.

Thanks for your support brother - appreciated.

You must be more or less my age. Station Road is as vivid in my memory as if it closed just the other day. A big crowd at Station Road for an international/Test match/ Lancs county cup final/ Challenge Cup semi/ Championship final was sheer magic and a real sight to behold

#40 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Good luck Swinton fans. Best wishes for the club for 2014 season.

Thanks Taff

(I'm ¼ Welsh)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users