Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dave Allen night on the BBC

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

Press release: The BBC are putting together a new compilation of archive Dave Allen material for a night themed around the legendary comic. On January 4, BBC Two is to repeat the documentary God’s Own Comic, which aired earlier this year, alongside the new compilation – plus his 1974 documentary Dave Allen in Search of the Great English Eccentric.  :yes:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

Great news. I always remember watching his show and loving it. Good times

More unusual was the fact that one of the people laughing the most was my Mother. She is a very devout Catholic and some of his stuff was quite near the knuckle regarding the church.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

I still find his piece about teaching his son how to tell the time using a wristwatch so funny. "The third hand is the second hand" etc.

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

The documentary mentioned was very good indeed. I'm glad they're repeating that.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Read the thread and initially thought "why are the beeb dedicating an evening to Dave Allen the former chairman of Sheff Wed and current owner of Owlerton stadium!!

#6 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

Ah great, remember watching him with my Dad when a kid.

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

Read the thread and initially thought "why are the beeb dedicating an evening to Dave Allen the former chairman of Sheff Wed and current owner of Owlerton stadium!!

Not to mention his time as member of the band Gong and playing for Widnes...

#8 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

More unusual was the fact that one of the people laughing the most was my Mother. She is a very devout Catholic and some of his stuff was quite near the knuckle regarding the church.

Oddly same for me, my mum was a pretty devout catholic but loved watching Dave Allen. It's good to see people who can laugh about their own religion, too many people take that sort of thing far too seriously and are far too ready to take offence.

• amh likes this

28m391z.jpg

#9 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

Wasn't he threatened on numerous occasions by members of the IRA? Still loved his humour and laid back approach. 

#10 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:07 AM

He was a big RL fan too. He got hooked on it when he was based in Australia.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

He was a big RL fan too. He got hooked on it when he was based in Australia.

Now you mention it, didn't he write an article (late 90's? early 2000's?) in one of the papers about how he enjoyed rugby crowds? And he did include RL in that. ( ie specified it)

#12 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

Dave Allen to me, means so much. I was 8 years old when I remember wanting to stop up to watch Dave Allen at large, BBC 2 Thursday 1976, 9 pm. I used ti poss myself ( sorry CKN) myself laughing at him. I remember either half of his index or little finger was missing ( could someone confirm?) Then when I was older I recall thinking that Dave Allen took this urine out of Roman Catholics in the main, with his humour, and this offended me, to the point that I hoped he'd be consigned to the 70s, but sadly not.

#13 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Dave Allen to me, means so much. I was 8 years old when I remember wanting to stop up to watch Dave Allen at large, BBC 2 Thursday 1976, 9 pm. I used ti poss myself ( sorry CKN) myself laughing at him. I remember either half of his index or little finger was missing ( could someone confirm?) Then when I was older I recall thinking that Dave Allen took this urine out of Roman Catholics in the main, with his humour, and this offended me, to the point that I hoped he'd be consigned to the 70s, but sadly not.

He was taking the ###### out of the catholic church, not catholics themselves. They (and all other religious establishments) deserve it. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#14 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Loved Dave Allen - very funny man.  He used to take the mick out of religion in general (granted the catholics bore the brunt).  Always remember one of his quick sketches, he was dressed as a priest, walked through the church and into the confession box.  Few seconds later, 'dirty old man' type goes in the other side, after a few seconds of silence, you hear the priest shout "You did what?, oh you dirty b******, that's disgusting, oh my God, how could you."  With that the priest rushes out of the box, drags the confessional out, gives him a beating all around the church  and throws him out.  No idea why, but when I hear his name, I always think of that sketch.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#15 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

The difference with Dave Allen making jokes about the Catholic Church and most others who did it is that he knew what he was talking about.  Ignorant humour is worse that ignorant criticism and he may have been harsh but did not seem too ignorant.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#16 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

The difference with Dave Allen making jokes about the Catholic Church and most others who did it is that he knew what he was talking about.  Ignorant humour is worse that ignorant criticism and he may have been harsh but did not seem too ignorant.

You did get the impression he was a bit of an authority on the subject.

I loved his show. He did what is almost becoming a lost art in comedy. He told jokes.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#17 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

Didn't Dave Allen do the sketch when two lots of grieving, coffin bearing groups were making their way from the church to the graveyard at the same time when they suddenly both realised there was only one plot available.

It ended up a race to get there first.

Fantastic humour.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Didn't Dave Allen do the sketch when two lots of grieving, coffin bearing groups were making their way from the church to the graveyard at the same time when they suddenly both realised there was only one plot available.

It ended up a race to get there first.

Fantastic humour.

Yeah that was him. Definitely some inspiration for Father Ted there.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

You did get the impression he was a bit of an authority on the subject.

I loved his show. He did what is almost becoming a lost art in comedy. He told jokes.

After watching this I realise how right you are. I hadn't actually noticed that there are possibly no comedians today that do this. (I aren't saying there are no funny people about) but almost everyone is either observational or simply sarcastic or pee takers. I found myself last night laughing my head off at a guy simply telling funny jokes with no agenda other than to make someone laugh. And some of his religious material, aside from being hilarious, must have been so close to the knuckle at th the time. Absolutely brilliant.

#20 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

No wonder the Roman Catholic Church took offensive. Both he and the BBC received death threats. I can't imagine anyone being brave enough to do the same to Islam.
He truly was a great comedian and compared to the way Tommy Cooper, Frankie Howard et al are lionised today he has been sadly overlooked. I suspect that from now that might be put right.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users