League Express Digital-Only Easter Edition Out Now!

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dave Allen night on the BBC

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

After watching this I realise how right you are. I hadn't actually noticed that there are possibly no comedians today that do this. (I aren't saying there are no funny people about) but almost everyone is either observational or simply sarcastic or pee takers. I found myself last night laughing my head off at a guy simply telling funny jokes with no agenda other than to make someone laugh. And some of his religious material, aside from being hilarious, must have been so close to the knuckle at th the time. Absolutely brilliant.

I knew he was good at it but I'd forgotten just how good. I can't recall laughing so much in 60 minutes of TV for a long time.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#22 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Didn't Dave Allen do the sketch when two lots of grieving, coffin bearing groups were making their way from the church to the graveyard at the same time when they suddenly both realised there was only one plot available.

It ended up a race to get there first.

Fantastic humour.

That was on the programme last night. Great piece of daft silent comedy.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,578 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

All the themed programmes were very enjoyable. His search for the great British eccentric showed he could do more than just be very funny.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,164 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

All the themed programmes were very enjoyable. His search for the great British eccentric showed he could do more than just be very funny.

Watching that we wondered how these people manage these days in the age of uniformity. They would probably be put in a home or something. I haven't heard of many eccentrics lately.

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,578 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

Watching that we wondered how these people manage these days in the age of uniformity. They would probably be put in a home or something. I haven't heard of many eccentrics lately.

I'm sure it's much easier to be nonconformist in today's society.

You may hear little about your local eccentric(s), as unusual lifestyles are less remarked upon nowadays than it would be back in the time of that documentary.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

Oh come on! There are a good few on this forum.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,164 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

I'm sure it's much easier to be nonconformist in today's society.

You may hear little about your local eccentric(s), as unusual lifestyles are less remarked upon nowadays than it would be back in the time of that documentary.

Possibly....but I aren't so sure. One thing of note was that he wasn't presenting the show in a 'look at these idiots' type of way but in an affectionate way. Pretty sure today it would be some no mark presenter urging people to vote for their fave loon.

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,578 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

Possibly....but I aren't so sure. One thing of note was that he wasn't presenting the show in a 'look at these idiots' type of way but in an affectionate way. Pretty sure today it would be some no mark presenter urging people to vote for their fave loon.

Louis Theroux did many series on eccentrics in a style that must have had some root in what Dave Allen did.

#29 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

The Dave Allen night was great, haven't laughed at the telly like that in ages.

The sad thing is if Dave were to turn up at the BBC now and said "I've got an act where I sit on a chair, drink whiskey, chain smoke and tell jokes about religion, sexism  and racial difference" he wouldn't be allowed within 100 yards of the main entrance!

Dave's best quality for me was his story telling ability.  His casual, easy going manner made you feel at ease and drew you in.  It was almost like he was talking to you one on one.  Sadly in our modern digital, social media driven age, this skill seems to be disapearing.

• Johnoco likes this

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users