sonny bill williams billy slater salford red devils marwan koukash

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

One of the stories we printed in this week's League Express has caused quite a stir - it's the one about Marwan Koukash (the Salford owner), who has received backing from GB legend Alex Murphy to lift the salary cap to sign Sonny Bill Williams and Billy Slater.

If you want more information you can find it here: http://www.totalrl.c...ny-bill-slater/

On Twitter, the news has been met with almost complete criticism. No-one seems to like Koukash or think he has the ability to bring big-name players to a small club like Salford. Money talks, though, and if the RFL do agree to lift the cap or allow clubs to work around it, I can definitely see at least one of those two coming on a year-long deal worth thousands a week.

What does everyone else think? Is Koukash deluded or just doing his best to raise his club's profile? Personally I think someone like him is good for the game. Maybe not for the tradition of it but certainly for its finances.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#2 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Can't see it happening , no matter how much they offer, what with the money in the NRL now and the exchange rates etc, why would two players top of there game in the best competition in the world swap Aus for Manchester? Could he really match the money and lifestyle?

#3 7723

• Coach
  • 765 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

The best thing about Slater playing in England is he wouldn't be allowed to play for the Aussies. Come on Koukash, get your wallet out and sign Slater, Inglis, Smith, Thurston and Cronk.

#4 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

I've said it before - these kind of calls sound a bit like those the Venkys were making a Blackburn Rovers when they first got here. You know, Beckham/Ronaldhino for the rovers! And look how that has panned out...

#5 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think we could see good players like Minichello over here, but not the top players in their prime. Wigan have snared Bowen, who is about the highest profile signing we have seen since Bird and Monaghan, but even then that's for a swansong - we need the player in question to be booted out of the NRL or going round one last time. Of course, if we had stayed as a winter sport we'd have been able to bring them over on short term deals...

If we did have a marquee player exemption, that would be a wonderful thing, though even then I suspect we'd have more chance with Welsh and Scottish union backs than getting teh cream of the NRL crop. Wigan might even bring Sam back one day...

Incidentally, is Koukash really worth 100s of millions, as quoted in the SMH? Looking at his horse racing, he has gone from nowhere to a very serious player in no time, which suggests very serious money indeed, but his gaff in Rainford isn't as flash as you'd expect for the North's wealthiest man.

#6 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 320 posts

Can't see it happening , no matter how much they offer, what with the money in the NRL now and the exchange rates etc, why would two players top of there game in the best competition in the world swap Aus for Manchester? Could he really match the money and lifestyle?

Not sure... Manchester is a good city, though clearly much colder. And I'm certain he can easily beat their current wages. Will have to see what happens. Would be amazing to have those two in Super League, wouldn't it?

TotalRL.com Editor

#7 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 320 posts

The best thing about Slater playing in England is he wouldn't be allowed to play for the Aussies. Come on Koukash, get your wallet out and sign Slater, Inglis, Smith, Thurston and Cronk.

Brilliant point!

TotalRL.com Editor

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

and I'd rather see Inglis or Hayne than Slater, as they are pure excitement machines. I'd even pick them ahead of Thornley on current form.

#9 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

I've said it before - these kind of calls sound a bit like those the Venkys were making a Blackburn Rovers when they first got here. You know, Beckham/Ronaldhino for the rovers! And look how that has panned out...

There's definitely a chance it could work out like this, but he has already put his money where his mouth is signing Chase, Morley, Meli etc.

TotalRL.com Editor

#10 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

I think we could see good players like Minichello over here, but not the top players in their prime. Wigan have snared Bowen, who is about the highest profile signing we have seen since Bird and Monaghan, but even then that's for a swansong - we need the player in question to be booted out of the NRL or going round one last time. Of course, if we had stayed as a winter sport we'd have been able to bring them over on short term deals...

If we did have a marquee player exemption, that would be a wonderful thing, though even then I suspect we'd have more chance with Welsh and Scottish union backs than getting teh cream of the NRL crop. Wigan might even bring Sam back one day...

Incidentally, is Koukash really worth 100s of millions, as quoted in the SMH? Looking at his horse racing, he has gone from nowhere to a very serious player in no time, which suggests very serious money indeed, but his gaff in Rainford isn't as flash as you'd expect for the North's wealthiest man.

Not sure what the exact figure is but he made a lot of money in engineering I believe before buying horses. He's no Roman Abramovic I don't think, but should have enough to tempt some big names to Salford.

TotalRL.com Editor

#11 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

and I'd rather see Inglis or Hayne than Slater, as they are pure excitement machines. I'd even pick them ahead of Thornley on current form.

I think that goes without saying. They're younger, faster and stronger than Slater. Though I don't think any full back on the planet has his mental ability. I think the reason he is going after Slater is he knows he has probably peaked on the international scene so wouldn't mind having to miss some matches as a sacrifice for playing in England. I doubt Inglis or Hayne would do that.

TotalRL.com Editor

#12 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,010 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

Not a hope in 'that nasty place' of the big names coming to Salford

Billy and the other names mentioned still have better prospects in NRL or in SBW case 'wherever!'

Must say I'm looking forward to seeing Bowen in SL.

It may be a swansong deal, but he was playing really well last season and will really test SL opponents

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

There's definitely a chance it could work out like this, but he has already put his money where his mouth is signing Chase, Morley, Meli etc.

Players whose career has peaked. Hardly the same.

#14 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

l

Not sure... Manchester is a good city, though clearly much colder. And I'm certain he can easily beat their current wages. Will have to see what happens. Would be amazing to have those two in Super League, wouldn't it?

Yeah Manchester is a good city but it doesn't have the beaches and the outdoor lifestyle of Aus. Having said that Leon Pryce might be able to sell it to them, he'd rather be on Blackpool beach than Bondi if I recall :-)

Edited by scrape_goose, 11 December 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#15 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Of course he could tempt them if the amount of money offered was substantial enough to meet their and agent demands and was well above what they currently got.   OK the life style may not be as per Sydney but it would only be a couple of years, hardly a life time.

Not saying it will happen and if its only a publicity stunt but can't see how anyone can think a player wouldn't be tempted for an amount of money that they saw as something they wouldn't earn elsewhere, especially one that had already achieved his career goals.

Edited by redjonn, 11 December 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#16 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

On Twitter, the news has been met with almost complete criticism.

That could be said for absolutely ANY Rugby League news item.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#17 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

Yeah Manchester is a good city but it doesn't have the beaches and the outdoor lifestyle of Aus. Having said that Leon Pryce might be able to sell it to them, he'd rather be on Blackpool beach than Bondi if I recall :-)

I doubt they'd be in Manchester though. They'd most likely end up in Salford. Probably on the Quays, which is much nicer than anything Manchester has to offer.

#18 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,512 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

One of the stories we printed in this week's League Express has caused quite a stir - it's the one about Marwan Koukash (the Salford owner), who has received backing from GB legend Alex Murphy to lift the salary cap to sign Sonny Bill Williams and Billy Slater.

On Twitter, the news has been met with almost complete criticism. Personally I think someone like him is good for the game. Maybe not for the tradition of it but certainly for its finances.

Take it to it's conclusion, He gets Williams, Slater, Hayne and Inglis. Then he picks up Roby, Hall, Moon, Brough, Farrell etc. Then he wins everything every year for years to come lets say 28  trophies in 10 years?

I think we have been there before and it's not good for the games finances. As for total stars like Williams and Slater the only way top players will sign over here is if they are going to play for a very top club. The criticisms would not be there if he just got his head down and tried to strengthen the game itself in Manchester/Salford.

Now if he could find a few rich mates for other SL clubs fine.....

Edited by The Parksider, 11 December 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#19 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

I hope Koukash gets his way. At the end of the day, having big names won't just put more bums on seats at Salford, but every club they play.

If someone is willing to shell out, no governing body should stop them.

#20 Yosser

Yosser
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

Personally I like Marwan's 'can do' attitude although I know it does n't always sit well with the bah humbug brigade.

Brian Noble has sensibly steered him to targets that can not only play footie but are charismatic and consequently bring a lot more bang for

your buck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users