RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford want Sonny Bill and Slater

sonny bill williams billy slater salford red devils marwan koukash

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

Personally, I think that if he wanted to shell out for Usain Bolt as a winger I'd go with it. That stadium would be full week in, week out.

To make business sense, some of the players have to have names that are in the British public consciousness as a whole.

#22 Jack GB

Jack GB
  • Coach
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

I would welcome a marquee player rule being brought into superleague (I would like to see some tight control of this to insure it is affordable for the club for example, and would also like to see a similar cost being ploughed back into grassroots somehow but this is a seperate discussion).

I think we underestimate the attractiveness and pull of living in the UK to an Aussie (or other foreigner). Yes the North of England may be grey and damp ( a winters day in Melbourne can be pretty grey and damp too guys) but we have a rich abundance of history and culture which lacks in other parts of the world. I Have lived out of the UK for 4 years now and came home for the world cup and really fell back in love with the grey and damp north of england!

#23 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

Personally, I think that if he wanted to shell out for Usain Bolt as a winger I'd go with it. That stadium would be full week in, week out.

To make business sense, some of the players have to have names that are in the British public consciousness as a whole.

Couldn't agree more.

• absentee thoughtlord likes this
TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#24 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

I would welcome a marquee player rule being brought into superleague (I would like to see some tight control of this to insure it is affordable for the club for example, and would also like to see a similar cost being ploughed back into grassroots somehow but this is a seperate discussion).

I think we underestimate the attractiveness and pull of living in the UK to an Aussie (or other foreigner). Yes the North of England may be grey and damp ( a winters day in Melbourne can be pretty grey and damp too guys) but we have a rich abundance of history and culture which lacks in other parts of the world. I Have lived out of the UK for 4 years now and came home for the world cup and really fell back in love with the grey and damp north of england!

I agree with this having travelled myself. There are buildings in the UK older than the USA itself (the country obviously, not the land)!

TotalRL.com Editor

#25 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

Players whose career has peaked. Hardly the same.

That's not the point, though. He has brought in big names like he promised. That's all I was saying.

TotalRL.com Editor

#26 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

Not a hope in 'that nasty place' of the big names coming to Salford

Billy and the other names mentioned still have better prospects in NRL or in SBW case 'wherever!'

Must say I'm looking forward to seeing Bowen in SL.

It may be a swansong deal, but he was playing really well last season and will really test SL opponents

Me too.

TotalRL.com Editor

#27 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

Of course he could tempt them if the amount of money offered was substantial enough to meet their and agent demands and was well above what they currently got.   OK the life style may not be as per Sydney but it would only be a couple of years, hardly a life time.

Not saying it will happen and if its only a publicity stunt but can't see how anyone can think a player wouldn't be tempted for an amount of money that they saw as something they wouldn't earn elsewhere, especially one that had already achieved his career goals.

Exactly.

TotalRL.com Editor

#28 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Yeah Manchester is a good city but it doesn't have the beaches and the outdoor lifestyle of Aus. Having said that Leon Pryce might be able to sell it to them, he'd rather be on Blackpool beach than Bondi if I recall :-)

Get Leon on the case then!

That could be said for absolutely ANY Rugby League news item.

Good point!

I doubt they'd be in Manchester though. They'd most likely end up in Salford. Probably on the Quays, which is much nicer than anything Manchester has to offer.

I think they'd live in the duldrums of Manchester if the money was right. Chances are it would only be for a year, two tops.

Take it to it's conclusion, He gets Williams, Slater, Hayne and Inglis. Then he picks up Roby, Hall, Moon, Brough, Farrell etc. Then he wins everything every year for years to come lets say 28  trophies in 10 years?

I think we have been there before and it's not good for the games finances. As for total stars like Williams and Slater the only way top players will sign over here is if they are going to play for a very top club. The criticisms would not be there if he just got his head down and tried to strengthen the game itself in Manchester/Salford.

Now if he could find a few rich mates for other SL clubs fine.....

I think that's taking it too far. What I hope will happen, and I stand by the fact it will be good for the game, is he will sign a few big names, Salford fans will come flocking back, crowds will improve across the league, clubs will start making some good money, more investors will come in for other clubs and we end up with a Premier League-like competition that is safe and secure, makes those who work hard in it - the players, backroom staff etc - a lot of money and gives the fans some amazing sport to watch. If only...

I hope Koukash gets his way. At the end of the day, having big names won't just put more bums on seats at Salford, but every club they play.

If someone is willing to shell out, no governing body should stop them.

Totally agree with this. No-one stands in the way of football clubs. Look at Chelsea and Man City. Both mediocre, mid-tablers at best, now challenging for the title, selling out the stadium, and attracting big-name players.

Personally I like Marwan's 'can do' attitude although I know it does n't always sit well with the bah humbug brigade.

Brian Noble has sensibly steered him to targets that can not only play footie but are charismatic and consequently bring a lot more bang for

your buck.

Couldn't agree more.

TotalRL.com Editor

#29 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

That's not the point, though. He has brought in big names like he promised. That's all I was saying.

Yeah but ageing former British internationals are achievable. Top current Aussie internationals aren't. He might as well have plucked half a dozen names out of the NFL rosters. It'll get "thinking big" kudos points from some but he'll never actually deliver on it.

When he said he wanted Morley, I don't think anyone thought "oh no that could never happen". Most people thought "fair enough, local lad done well, coming to the end of his career but still a decent name". If Salford make the play-offs then more and better players will be interested next year. Then he could try to poach the likes of Westwood.

Edited by Northern Sol, 11 December 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#30 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,957 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

There are very good reasons for the salary cap, but for that we'd have lost a good few clubs from SL chasing success.  Regardless of Dr Koukash's intentions and the real delight players like that would bring to SL games we can't roll it back.  A marquee player rule would be good but it would have to come with affordability criteria, say a maximum salary/revenue ratio or a guaranteed bond from a money-man.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#31 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Totally agree with this. No-one stands in the way of football clubs. Look at Chelsea and Man City. Both mediocre, mid-tablers at best, now challenging for the title, selling out the stadium, and attracting big-name players.

This is something that didn't change over night. The really big name players only came when Chelsea and City had already shown that they were for real. It's not just a case of wielding a cheque book, the top players want to be winning cups. If a club breaks into the Champions League then they suddenly start to be taken seriously.

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

There are very good reasons for the salary cap, but for that we'd have lost a good few clubs from SL chasing success.  Regardless of Dr Koukash's intentions and the real delight players like that would bring to SL games we can't roll it back.  A marquee player rule would be good but it would have to come with affordability criteria, say an maximum salary/revenue ratio or a guaranteed bond from a money-man.

I agree with that but I'd add that the "luxury tax" mentioned on this forum before needs to be part of this. Clubs need to revenue share otherwise they won't have meaningful opposition.

#33 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

2 questions here :-

fans today seem to have an inferiority complex that NRL  stars won't play in SL , partially true , for say a early 20's origin pick ( unless he has had a run in with a clinic or the law )

However Slater, Cameron Smith are 30, , and with the exception of SBW  who commanded  1Million  $ Aus ( £556K )  a year contract at Roosters they are all not on megabucks , when their next deal comes up , they may not command the same value , and a spell with a top ( or a well backed ) SL club can be a possibilty.

2nd point is the Cap & the marquee player discussion .

If a club had the sanction to make 1 or two unrestricted marquee player signings there are probably 5-6 clubs  who could take advantage ? a would that be fair to other clubs who can't & Is it fair to fans of those 5-6 clubs who would like to see recognised NRL stars play SL.  

I grew up watching Winter RL , where I got a chance to see Brett Kenny , Gene Miles , Wally Lewis , Mal Meninga , Cliff Lyons , Garry Jack , Andrew Ettinghausen ,Langer   apart   from  a brief appearance of Andrew Johns with Warrington . SL has lost the exotic appeal & the Cap / Franchising hasn't exactly proven the mechanism to A) level the competitive  playing arena , or B) steady the financial situation with the SL C) deliver a AnZac beating international side .

So outside of basic NIHBY rivalry, ( Not In HIS Back Yard ) If the Likes of Koukash . Or Mason , Caddicks , MacManus , Pearson or Davy could bankroll & underwrite marquee signs is the Sport  doing itself down not allowing them ? and would a league able to boast a virtual origin side be more appealing to both fans & ' commercial partners ' ..

Edited by Middleman, 11 December 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#34 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

This is something that didn't change over night. The really big name players only came when Chelsea and City had already shown that they were for real. It's not just a case of wielding a cheque book, the top players want to be winning cups. If a club breaks into the Champions League then they suddenly start to be taken seriously.

Take Leeds United as an example of your point one season in teh Champions League wasn't enough to lure big players from abroad.

#35 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

Personally I like Marwan's 'can do' attitude although I know it does n't always sit well with the bah humbug brigade.

Brian Noble has sensibly steered him to targets that can not only play footie but are charismatic and consequently bring a lot more bang for

your buck.

They're a good combo.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#36 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

SL has lost the exotic appeal & the Cap / Franchising hasn't exactly proven the mechanism to A) level the competitive  playing arena , or B) steady the financial situation with the SL C) deliver a AnZac beating international side .

Absolutely right. The "cap" may have been the right thing to do at the time, but it needs to go. It certainly isn't helping right now and may, in fact, be precipitating gradual decline.

Let Dr. K do what he wants. If other teams can't afford to follow, so be it. At least the sport as a whole will get a much needed boost and we'll all be able to bask in the glow a bit. To deny him is sporting Marxism.

• Joe Whitley likes this

#37 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

I agree with this having travelled myself. There are buildings in the UK older than the USA itself (the country obviously, not the land)!

My cottage, for one. And, anyway, it isn't as if they'd be living in a high rise next door to a family of smack heads. Let's be honest, I'm sure SBW and Slater would love a littlle place is the delightful Cheshire countryside. Good place to bring up kids.

#38 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

My cottage, for one. And, anyway, it isn't as if they'd be living in a high rise next door to a family of smack heads. Let's be honest, I'm sure SBW and Slater would love a littlle place is the delightful Cheshire countryside. Good place to bring up kids.

Absolutely. A lot of professional golfers based in England live (or lived) in Cheshire, including 2010 Open champion Louis Oosthuizen. It's quiet, there are some amazing houses, and it's close to the airport. Perfect.

TotalRL.com Editor

#39 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

Absolutely. A lot of professional golfers based in England live (or lived) in Cheshire, including 2010 Open champion Louis Oosthuizen. It's quiet, there are some amazing houses, and it's close to the airport. Perfect.

Perfect for Sonny Bill, then! ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#40 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,957 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Perfect for Sonny Bill, then! ;)

He'll find it hard to get short leases that match his typical attention span and commitment over the last few years.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users