sonny bill williams billy slater salford red devils marwan koukash

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

Absolutely. A lot of professional golfers based in England live (or lived) in Cheshire, including 2010 Open champion Louis Oosthuizen. It's quiet, there are some amazing houses, and it's close to the airport. Perfect.

Show them the area around Tarporley (where there must surely be more millionaires per square inch than Belgravia) and they'll be jolly happy campers for sure.

#42 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Regarding the salary cap, I believe baseball has or had a rule that allows you to spend over a cap so long as the amount you spend over the cap is matched by putting the same amount back inot the the central pot to redistributed amongst the poor teams/developement of the game.

#43 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

Regarding the salary cap, I believe baseball has or had a rule that allows you to spend over a cap so long as the amount you spend over the cap is matched by putting the same amount back inot the the central pot to redistributed amongst the poor teams/developement of the game.

Surely that would work brilliantly in RL?

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#44 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thats an excellent idea. Wouldn't get many spendingover the cap then, well not here in Yorkshire anyway :-)

#45 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

In MLB it's called the Luxury Tax. The Yankees pay it every year, the Red Sox most of the time and I dont think many others ever have to.Obviously the cap is set ridiculously high anyway. You dont have to match what you've already paid over but for the Yankees (as serial offenders) it's 40% of whatever they've already paid.

If someone was prepared to cough up the dosh it'd be great but I dont think we can really compare Rugby League in England with MLB. Two completely different universes.

If someone wants to pay money to try and give our sport a boost why not let 'em you miserable so and so's? As for nobody wanting to live around Manchester rather than somewhere warm by the seaside - it doesnt seem to be a problem for the United & City players. Pay them and they will come. If Koukash wants to spend his money on signing whoever he wants, let him.  "but what if he leaves and Salford are in the lurch" I hear you say...yeah, just like they were when he turned up then. RL is a sport, it's supposed to entertain us, why is everyone always so sodding miserable?

#46 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Would be good for the game I think. Recognised names puts bums on seats, and the more money involved in the game the better. There does seem to be a bit of an attitude in British RL of 'we cant do it now, so lets never even think about it'

We cant get Thurston, Inglis etc now, shouldn't stop planning for it. And if there is a sniff of getting SBW let it be done

#47 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

But was part of the reason for the salary cap not to stop one or two teams dominating by buying up all the talent. How come that's okay now?

#48 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

But was part of the reason for the salary cap not to stop one or two teams dominating by buying up all the talent. How come that's okay now?

It's a shortcut to homogenous mediocrity. I want to see the excitement of world famous names back in the domestic game. And I don't care whether it's just Salford who do it, if that's what it takes.

#49 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

If Koukash has a dream let him live it its his cash and if he gets some decent p[layers from the NRL then good on him, would liven up many a match and be worth the entrance fee which is what sport is all about isn't it?

Love the bloke, touch of stardust, hasn't let anyone down yet and is hell bent on getting his side to the top - people like him are called winners by the way - and the rolercoaster ride he promises should be very interesting indeed

Dark horses for the top 8 already for me!

#50 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

Oh! and they wont go bust any time soon either which has got to be a real plus!

#51 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

Then he wins everything every year for years to come lets say 28  trophies in 10 years?

28 trophies in 10 years? Does that include the Lancashire Cup, the 7's somewhere and the Regal Trophy? Because I'm not sure even Wigan in their prime won that many.

I'm a Swinton fan, who grew up 500m from the Willows, I think Salford are due a cut of the luck, but Koukash needs to get a grip on reality. It's OK buying all the best beef sorry, horseflesh that can come up on the market, because there isn't a salery cap in horse racing. There is in Rugby League, dropping surplus flesh down to a lower league, under DR, isn't going to fool anyone, or help anyone.

Hiring SBW or Slater isn't a viable solution right now, not until the RFL agree to raise the SL cap comparable to NRL cap, because that would destabilise the players already there that are playing under the current cap.

If the Pinks can get SBW or Slater to England, I think it would be only on a one year deal, after that they would dissapear off to Yawion ASAP. Even if Koukash bought them houses in Wilmslow amongst the glitterati of Soccer's elite.

Edited by Bleep1673, 11 December 2013 - 07:15 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#52 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

Dreamland again from Dr Koukash. SBW will be going to Union for the WC in 2015 and will then retire. Billy Slater is not just on top money but has a contract until 2015 at Melbourne Storm where he will then be 32. He also has hinted that he wants to stay in Melbourne after he finishes playing and work with the club. Unlikely he will go anywhere. I do think it would be better if he kept quiet regarding who he wants to sign and wait until he has signed them. Nothing wrong with being ambitious but his targets like SBW and Slater are not going to happen for various reasons

#53 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Dreamland again from Dr Koukash. SBW will be going to Union for the WC in 2015 and will then retire. Billy Slater is not just on top money but has a contract until 2015 at Melbourne Storm where he will then be 32. He also has hinted that he wants to stay in Melbourne after he finishes playing and work with the club. Unlikely he will go anywhere. I do think it would be better if he kept quiet regarding who he wants to sign and wait until he has signed them. Nothing wrong with being ambitious but his targets like SBW and Slater are not going to happen for various reasons

I'm old enough to remember the good old days when the signing of Rangi Chase wasn't going to happen for various reasons.

#54 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

There are lots of well paid sportsmen from all over the world in the north. If the money's right they'll come. And FWIW I think it's a good part of the world to live.

#55 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

It's a shortcut to homogenous mediocrity. I want to see the excitement of world famous names back in the domestic game. And I don't care whether it's just Salford who do it, if that's what it takes.

Australia has a strict salary cap and has the vast majority of world famous names and any team can win the Grand Final. What is it a shortcut to again?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#56 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

Australia has a strict salary cap and has the vast majority of world famous names and any team can win the Grand Final. What is it a shortcut to again?

A bit daft , NRL Salary cap is 6.3 M $ for players ( 4Million in GBP) , with  3  broadcast partners and  1 Billion $Aus to develop infrastructure , how ' strict' do they have to be with that amount of cash ..?

Any one of the 16 premier teams can win ? but Brisbane , Manly, Melbourne & Roosters mainly , you have to go back 10 years to when an unfancied side won  'Penrith'  so that's no different from Wigan Leeds Saints domination of the top prize in SL.  

The point is the current UK SL plan is neither levelling the competition, controlling finances  and is possible holding back the competition as a spectacle & for potential backers & sponsors.

Academy development is crucial , but for for every Tomkins or Ben Crooks , there is a need for a Trent Barrett , a Ryan Hoffman , a Jamie Lyon , Matt King  .

At present Good players are coming through , SL clubs simply cannot attract top -line International players to add spectacle, colour & to bring on these players .and  we are now losing these Top young UK players to the NRL .

This trend will continue, and the SL will become more devalued. the Teams that can afford have to allowed in some way to speculate  as long as the backroom development is continuing alongside .  

Edited by Middleman, 12 December 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#57 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

28 trophies in 10 years? Does that include the Lancashire Cup, the 7's somewhere and the Regal Trophy? Because I'm not sure even Wigan in their prime won that many.

Hiring SBW or Slater isn't a viable solution right now, not until the RFL agree to raise the SL cap comparable to NRL cap, because that would destabilise the players already there that are playing under the current cap.

47 honours in the 1980's and 1990's is the record Rothmans 1995-96.......

That's the reality.

The proposal Salford may bring Williams and Slater into Superleague may be on a par with proposals from championship clubs they are working towards Superleague.

If it keeps the fans interested and sells a few more season tickets.....

As for the "Miserable so and so" tag far far from it. Most people are delighted this man rescued the club and is signing top players and shaking things up. I'm really made up with it.

Edited by The Parksider, 12 December 2013 - 12:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users