Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Third time lucky?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

You've already said that, no need to repeat. Would much rather you made some comments on how you'd improve it.

There are so many issues inside and outside of the game that could be explored. What is your favourite food? Geez you could get the same answer from Jamie Peacock and Johnny Vegas. However, RL readers must be more interested in week to week dietary requirements of a professional player and how it maybe varies at different clubs - having to curb vices etc. What is their view on P&R coming back? What is it like having heart rate monitors when you play? How closely do you look at your own playing stats? Do players ever discuss salaries or the salary cap? How would you feel if your club sent you out on dual registration? Can you ever plan ahead as a professional sportsman? What do you look forward to in the off-season?  When do you find out if you are in the 17 each week? What was your most controversial moment on the pitch?

Sadly, the type of questions delivered lend themselves to pretty boring one-word answers and drivel.

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,175 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'm fine with the idea of getting away from the game and finding out what makes players tick but I don't like interviews where the questions and answers are simply printed as they were said. This is something that any of us could do. Angelo writes his interviews up in a much more readable way. Not something that I would be able to do.

#23 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

There are so many issues inside and outside of the game that could be explored. What is your favourite food? Geez you could get the same answer from Jamie Peacock and Johnny Vegas. However, RL readers must be more interested in week to week dietary requirements of a professional player and how it maybe varies at different clubs - having to curb vices etc. What is their view on P&R coming back? What is it like having heart rate monitors when you play? How closely do you look at your own playing stats? Do players ever discuss salaries or the salary cap? How would you feel if your club sent you out on dual registration? Can you ever plan ahead as a professional sportsman? What do you look forward to in the off-season?  When do you find out if you are in the 17 each week? What was your most controversial moment on the pitch?

Sadly, the type of questions delivered lend themselves to pretty boring one-word answers and drivel.

I agree that would be fairly interesting, but I think we are in the minority. It's a bit much. The page is supposed to be a break from intense rugby questions, with the intention of getting some funny answers. I agree it can look a little juvenile but I think you should loosen up a bit.

I think it's interesting to find out this sort of thing. For example, I was laughing out loud when Hall told me about Westwood and Burgess wrestling and astounded when he said he listened to Eva Cassidy. And with Westwood I thought it was hilarious when we spoke about hiding in his hotel room eating fry-ups while everyone else dieted. If it's not your thing that's fine. We get 20 times more compliments than complaints so all in all it's going down well. I enjoy this sort of thing just as much as a hard-hitting bit of analysis into the game and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#24 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

I'm fine with the idea of getting away from the game and finding out what makes players tick but I don't like interviews where the questions and answers are simply printed as they were said. This is something that any of us could do. Angelo writes his interviews up in a much more readable way. Not something that I would be able to do.

How can you get more readable than Q&A? We decided on the format as it is much easier to read and you can pick out the questions you'd like to know the answers to easily. Again, it's a light-hearted feature. We have pages and pages of flowing copy, this is simply something different. We are all trained journalists and more than capable of doing it either way.

TotalRL.com Editor

#25 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

I agree that would be fairly interesting, but I think we are in the minority. It's a bit much. The page is supposed to be a break from intense rugby questions, with the intention of getting some funny answers. I agree it can look a little juvenile but I think you should loosen up a bit.

I think it's interesting to find out this sort of thing. For example, I was laughing out loud when Hall told me about Westwood and Burgess wrestling and astounded when he said he listened to Eva Cassidy. And with Westwood I thought it was hilarious when we spoke about hiding in his hotel room eating fry-ups while everyone else dieted. If it's not your thing that's fine. We get 20 times more compliments than complaints so all in all it's going down well. I enjoy this sort of thing just as much as a hard-hitting bit of analysis into the game and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I can agree with some of these sentiments and what you are trying to do. However, many readers will look at what is my favourite colour and what is your favourite food and not even bother reading the answers. Read some Sunday supplements or blog snaps and see how these types of insight interviews are played out and worded. I saw one for a Newcastle French footballer recently which asked "you've been in Newcastle a few months, I imagine fish and chips is now your meal of choice". Pretty much same topic. I don't care what he eats but I was curious to read the answer I suppose.

It also plays out the banter/conversation with the writer and the subject.

Edited by Scubby, 13 December 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,175 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

How can you get more readable than Q&A? We decided on the format as it is much easier to read and you can pick out the questions you'd like to know the answers to easily. Again, it's a light-hearted feature. We have pages and pages of flowing copy, this is simply something different. We are all trained journalists and more than capable of doing it either way.

There is a context that is missing. When people answer a question, they can pause, smile or frown as they answer but a simple Q & A tells us none of that.

#27 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

Joe - what is the purpose of the thread?

The title seems to indicate that you have had negative comments in the past and are trying again to get people to like it. A few have said they didn't like it but it seems you find that hard to take.

Crack on with it, it makes no odds to me but you asked for ways in which it could be improved - I just wouldn't bother unless it was for a teenagers magazine such as "kick" in football.

I'm sure some like it and you'll keep doing it but it's just not for me
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#28 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

with ryan bailey having a testimonial  next season this would be a perfect time to interview him  . it would also be a very interesting interview

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#29 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:50 AM

Easiest player to tackle
Slowest player in SL
Biggest moaner in SL
Who's longest in the shower
What would you change in The game
Best referee and why
Favourite and worst opposition ground and why
3 celebs you'd put in a blender

#30 GaryO

GaryO
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

Now this would make better reading, why not give it a go Joe, please let me suggest the first candidate for the interview, I nominate Jamie Peacock and I say this after seeing him talking to the school kids in the mini series by Sam Tomkins on Boots n All. 

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

#31 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Joe - what is the purpose of the thread?

The title seems to indicate that you have had negative comments in the past and are trying again to get people to like it. A few have said they didn't like it but it seems you find that hard to take.

Crack on with it, it makes no odds to me but you asked for ways in which it could be improved - I just wouldn't bother unless it was for a teenagers magazine such as "kick" in football.

I'm sure some like it and you'll keep doing it but it's just not for me

Not at all, mate, I was sharing the interview when it went live online like I always do and will continue to do, as a sidenote I was hoping some of the harsher critics may have opened their minds slightly. Happy to take criticism, just want to defend and explain myself, too. What's wrong with that? A lot of the things getting criticised were done on purpose for good reasons and I wanted to make that clear. There are a lot of strong opinions on here normally made without much thought and I don't want them influencing others.

TotalRL.com Editor

#32 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

Now this would make better reading, why not give it a go Joe, please let me suggest the first candidate for the interview, I nominate Jamie Peacock and I say this after seeing him talking to the school kids in the mini series by Sam Tomkins on Boots n All. 

But it's missing the point, Gary. This last-page regular is a light-hearted escape from rugby. I agree that some of these questions would be very much suited to a standard interview, though, perhaps in Rugby League World, and will bring the idea up.

TotalRL.com Editor

#33 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

Easiest player to tackle
Slowest player in SL
Biggest moaner in SL
Who's longest in the shower
What would you change in The game
Best referee and why
Favourite and worst opposition ground and why
3 celebs you'd put in a blender

I like a few of those but they're getting a bit too close to being about rugby. I agree they would generate some funny answers, but only if the player I was speaking to dared answer them. 

TotalRL.com Editor

#34 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

with ryan bailey having a testimonial  next season this would be a perfect time to interview him  . it would also be a very interesting interview

Will add him to the list. Cheers.

TotalRL.com Editor

#35 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

I like it, the formats old school but it works, it also has something of a traditional feel about it as I'm sure you could go ack to the 50s & 60s and find similar interviews with Neil Fox, Alex Murphy, Clive Sullivan etc..

Keep it up, in this world of heavy hearted problems and this sport the subject of such internal and external derision it's nice to just read a positive and friendly piece.

#36 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

I like it, the formats old school but it works, it also has something of a traditional feel about it as I'm sure you could go ack to the 50s & 60s and find similar interviews with Neil Fox, Alex Murphy, Clive Sullivan etc..

Keep it up, in this world of heavy hearted problems and this sport the subject of such internal and external derision it's nice to just read a positive and friendly piece.

Thanks a lot for that.

TotalRL.com Editor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users