Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who should coach England?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

Opinion seems to be split on whether McNamara should be kept on as England coach (let's forget about Bath for now), but if he was asked to step down, who would be best placed to take over him?

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

Shaun Wane.

#3 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Shaun Wane.

Interesting. Once we get 10 or so contenders I will set up a poll.

TotalRL.com Editor

#4 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

I think Wane or Brian McDermott are the only realistic contenders at the moment on paper.

I think the real issue, though, is if the RFL plan on keeping the post a full time one. If so that rules a lot of people out. Personally I think it should be, but that is limiting to the sort of people it might attract - and no disrepect to Steve McNamara but I don't think he would have gotten the job had it stayed part time.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#5 7723

• Coach
  • 598 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

I think McDermott and Wane together as part time head coaches would be best.

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

As a Welshman and Bulls fan, I was more than happy with McNamara as England Coach.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

think you'll be lucky to get five genuine contenders to be honest..

Only two coaches really deserve a crack at it, Shaun Wane and Brian Mcdermott.

Shaun Wane would get my vote

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Whoever it ends up being, he will be a useless clown in a year or so.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#9 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

Jason Robinson, Shaun Edwards or Ellery Hanley.

All are legends, were exceptional players, command respect, and are well-known by the general public. Shaun Wane and Brian McDermott have proved to be great coaches over the past season, but neither tick all those boxes. Good as they may be, they would be unable to raise the profile of the sport nationally in the same way as any of the three aforementioned would be able to.

#10 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

Mal Reilly for me. 

#11 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Wane because he understands structure, there is no one else if we actually want to win.

I would make him full time and get all the clubs to buy into expanding the international game by making players available for sides throughout the year

Wane would carry on from and improve on McNamara - whatever anyone says there was real progress and man managers aren't what's needed in a professional set up, unless we go back to short tours and accepting loss after loss

Robinson full time would be a possible starter but he would need a good team around him, Hanley is on a pedestal, Edwards is a team manager and motivator, not a strategist

I might even look at a full time team monitoring and mentoring future internationals like every NRL club does, extra skills and game coaching can't help but improve a p[layer. I know cost is an issue at club level but surely its something that should be done internationally

#12 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I think Wane or Brian McDermott are the only realistic contenders at the moment on paper.

I think the real issue, though, is if the RFL plan on keeping the post a full time one. If so that rules a lot of people out. Personally I think it should be, but that is limiting to the sort of people it might attract - and no disrepect to Steve McNamara but I don't think he would have gotten the job had it stayed part time.

Do you think it needs to be full-time right now?

I think McDermott and Wane together as part time head coaches would be best.

How would that work?

As a Welshman and Bulls fan, I was more than happy with McNamara as England Coach.

;)

I am neither of those things and was happy!

think you'll be lucky to get five genuine contenders to be honest..

Only two coaches really deserve a crack at it, Shaun Wane and Brian Mcdermott.

Shaun Wane would get my vote

No-one else at all on your radar?

Whoever it ends up being, he will be a useless clown in a year or so.

Good point!

Jason Robinson, Shaun Edwards or Ellery Hanley.

All are legends, were exceptional players, command respect, and are well-known by the general public. Shaun Wane and Brian McDermott have proved to be great coaches over the past season, but neither tick all those boxes. Good as they may be, they would be unable to raise the profile of the sport nationally in the same way as any of the three aforementioned would be able to.

Interesting, hadn't thought of any of those.

TotalRL.com Editor

#13 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

Mal Reilly for me. 

Do you not think 65 is a touch too old?

Wane because he understands structure, there is no one else if we actually want to win.

I would make him full time and get all the clubs to buy into expanding the international game by making players available for sides throughout the year

Wane would carry on from and improve on McNamara - whatever anyone says there was real progress and man managers aren't what's needed in a professional set up, unless we go back to short tours and accepting loss after loss

Robinson full time would be a possible starter but he would need a good team around him, Hanley is on a pedestal, Edwards is a team manager and motivator, not a strategist

I might even look at a full time team monitoring and mentoring future internationals like every NRL club does, extra skills and game coaching can't help but improve a p[layer. I know cost is an issue at club level but surely its something that should be done internationally

Some good ideas here.

TotalRL.com Editor

#14 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

Personally would go for an Aussie top line coach, Bennett, B.Smith, Elliott.

In England maybe Mcdermott.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#15 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Do you not think 65 is a touch too old?

Two words... Bob. Fulton.

#16 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Edwards is a team manager and motivator, not a strategist

He is the rugby equivalent of Sir Alex Ferguson. They wouldn't dare lose.

#17 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

Daryl Powell. Seems to be able to get the best out of teams.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Garry Schofield.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#19 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

I'd love to see ellery Hanley get the job and the fact that he isn't coaching a club truly baffles me.

#20 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

I'd love to see ellery Hanley get the job and the fact that he isn't coaching a club truly baffles me.

There are countless good reasons to give the role to Ellery. Alas, there's just one that will probably mean he won't: he isn't one of the RFL in-crowd (kind of League's equivalent of Brian Clough).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users